How much can you bench?
Feb 17, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #76 of 81
I never actually try to max out for 1 rep, but I've done 350 for 4-5 reps on the flat bench, and 315 for 4-5 reps on the incline bench (much harder I think). 400lbs for 10 reps on the squat, 1100-1200 6-8 reps on the leg press machine. But what I'm most proud of is that I beat a 20 y.o. cornerback (Pitt, transfered to Robert Morris) last summer in a 40 yard sprint, his fastest clocked time was 4.4 seconds. I can do a 4.75, not bad for a 41 y.o. tennis player. You can lift all the weights in the world, but what good is it if you can't do anything with it? BTW I'm 6' 3" 230lbs.

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #77 of 81
I'm 15 years old 5'10'' 150. I started lifting summer of 2003, but i really started an actual routine about 3 weeks before basketball season. Lately because its the season now I havent maxed out, but on the bench I could do 120. Now at my small school thats actually impressive. Also thats impressive since i'm a freshman who just started lifting during the summer. However during the summer I would go lift at World Gym sometimes, and all my pride is just totally shattered by these big buff guys with 4 45 plates on one side (that just warming up and stuff)

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Hunterboy55
However during the summer I would go lift at World Gym sometimes, and all my pride is just totally shattered by these big buff guys with 4 45 plates on one side (that just warming up and stuff)

It is true what they say about lifting. It's almost all mental. The key is that you become motivated to lift for yourself. Don't try to compete with others...whether in weights or just in your head. You cannot become discouraged by people that lift what seem to be outrageous weights. If you can do that, you'll be very successful in your lifting career. Also remember that everyone started small. And also, everyone is capable of being strong no matter how big or small the physique.

Like I mentioned in my earlier response, I'm 5 foot 9 and only 125 and I lift with the big guys. You cannot not be intimidated. I'm also 19 if that matters.

Give me 3-4 months and I'll be doing 100 pounders per arm in dbell press. I believe that goal is realistic.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #79 of 81
if you're younger, be careful when you work out.
i played soccer for 12 years (then i ******** up my ankle and well, that's the way things go)

besides benching and stuff, keep yourself agile. if i had did more plyometrics and stretching, i probably wouldn't have messed up myself as bad as i did.

oh and i bench about 150 usually
haven't lifted weights in a while tho.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #80 of 81
Sleepkyng brings up a very good point I forgot to mention.

Stretching is a must. Stretch for 5 minutes before and after lifting. Stretching prevents torn muscles. You don't want that when you lift. That is the last thing you want.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
when i was in shape my max bench was kind of weak at 180. i used to squat 585 no sweat though. (i was a rower)

HaHaHa, my 112 pound wife benches 180! But a 585 squat is awesome--congratulations.
As I said last year in this thread, bench presses are wimpy compared to squats and especially to deadlifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back