How much can you bench?
Feb 1, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #46 of 81
I have never actually tried such a feat, but I would imagine that I could probraly bench nearly 40 or 50 pounds.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
WRONG: Do heavy bench press first, (3 to 5 sets of 3 to 8 reps) then chest extentions, or dumbbell flies(6 to 10 reps for 3 to 5 sets) no more than twice a week. Be very careful not to over work your shoulders, and always have a spotter.

My brother, who can put up 300+, is a BIG believer in dumbbells. For what it's worth....

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #48 of 81
Dumbbells are an excellent way to give your bench a boost. Dumbbell presses are inherently more unstable than benching w/ a bar, since you're dealing w/ two, heavy, unconnected weights probably following slightly different paths up/down. This means you really work what are called stabilizer muscles that don't normally get worked much during bar benches. The additional stretch can also help growth.

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #49 of 81
I bench about 180, and im about 5'8" and weigh about 145.

Which isn't bad for a computer nerd
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

So am I, after you do flat heavy bench press FIRST.

My brother's gone completely off barbells for everything...except an occasional max check at the gym. He swears that he gets a superior workout with about 60% of the weight that he would use with a barbell. He had plateaud with barbells. Ever since he started with dumbbells only (3 months ago), his max is up 50 lbs. That's a big jump in a very short period of time.

Feb 1, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
My brother's gone completely off barbells for everything...except an occasional max check at the gym. He swears that he gets a superior workout with about 60% of the weight that he would use with a barbell. He had plateaud with barbells. Ever since he started with dumbbells only (3 months ago), his max is up 50 lbs. That's a big jump in a very short period of time.

Well, if your brother used 60% of the resistance, and gained 50 pounds in his bench press in 3 months you should name him superman, because in my 20 years of strength training I have never heard of someone using less weight, and making larger gains unless they were not lifting correctly in the first place

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Well, if your brother used 60% of the resistance, and gained 50 pounds in his bench press in 3 months you should name him superman, because in my 20 years of strength training I have never heard of someone using less weight, and making larger gains unless they were not lifting correctly in the first place

What can I say, but ...

Strength training! Nothing but trade-offs and compromises.

biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #56 of 81
Bench press numbers are about as useful a measure of strength as THD numbers are for listening enjoyment.

I wish I had a dollar for every cut meathead who couldn't pick up his (?) own toolbox or any other useful load when I worked on the flight line. They would strut about with their arms out as if their armpits were on fire and run at the mouth about how stong they were - but were either too stiff or too sore (or too stupid to figure out the smart way to lift odd shaped objects) to actually do anything.

As my English friends used to say about the Irish,"Why use brains wheen muscles will do?"

Muscles on narcicistic dorks (aren't they all) are about as useful as a spiked collar on a poodle.

Feb 2, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #57 of 81
Welcome to the thread rohor, I've been expecting you. I knew a response like this would be coming as soon as this topic was started. I didn't think it would take until page 3 though. Maybe you were asleep at the wheel.

In one brief post you were able to question the sexuality, assume the level of intelligence, and make a sweeping generalization that anyone who lifts weights is abnormally infatuated or in love with his or herself.

For every guy that struts and shows off his muscles, there is another guy that is twice as big that will refuse to wear a tank top or muscle shirt because he is not into showing off. You just didn't notice him because he was trying to blend in.

Although I haven't checked, the ratio of heterosexual/homosexual/transexual/hermaphro.....etc. lifting weights is probably pretty close to the general population.

The thing about intelligence is too involved and I would have a hard time responding to it without taxing myself and getting a brain hemmorhage so I will pass on that one.
biggrin.gif

I am heterosexual and I like to think I am above average intelligence. I lift weights because the air where I live is among the most polluted in the nation and going for a jog is like smoking a pack of cigarettes. I lift because it helps keep my athritis from flaring up and because I have a hard time keeping up with the demands of physical labor at my two jobs without the stretch and joint lubrication that weight training provide.

Be glad the Irish don't know where you live.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
Be glad the Irish don't know where you live.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

This Irishman does...and he lifts weights too!!
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #60 of 81
Well lets see last time I maxed out was last week and I got 285 pretty easily then dropped 290. But heh I 'm 6' 190# and 17 so I'll take the weight I got. What really pisses me off is the freshman at our school using the S-Vitamin. God theres one kid frosh that can now bench over 300# , when I started workin out this summer w/him he could barely do 175 Natural my ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back