how many use headphones only, no speakers?
Dec 31, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 72
For actually listening to music, headphones 100%. Speakers just don't do it for me, and I've heard some fairly nice setups. Plus, I just love the feel of a nice pair of headphones on my head, especially circumaural headphones. It feels wrong to hear music without something on my ears!

For movies and video games: Speakers 100%. It feels odd to wear headphones while gaming, because the sound seems to be separated from the visual stimulus of the game.

For my work: Speakers and headphones, to make sure it sounds as good as possible on as many different systems as possible.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #48 of 72
75% headphones
20% crappy Creative 2.1 speakers hooked up to PC
05% Polk Audio speakers in home theater system (I'd be here more, but my wife monopolizes the home theater area in the living room
frown.gif
)

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Movies: 100% speakers (I've got a speaker setup that's really good for cinematic surround)

Music: 100% headphones: insanely expensive rig just for headphones.....it had better sound great for music!!!! Detail with great headstage makes it so that I'm not missing speakers. Though it's purely personal, since no one else can listen to the music with you.

That describes my listening patterns as well. My 5.1 system sounds good for movies but terrible overall for music. The only exceptions really being music DVDs encoded in digital surround. When it comes to games I use speakers 95% of the time unless it's multiplayer gaming when I'll use my HD595s or SR-80s.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #50 of 72
I have been trying to reduce me footprint in this world for quite awhile. the main reason I got rid of me vinyl collection was to save on space. even me CD's have been taken out of their jewel cases and put in poly sleeves that hold their booklets and tray art on either side and resemble small LP's or 45's. about 40 CD's in the space of 10 while stored in a CD box. reminds me of the old 45 cases.

I had been looking at options like active monitors w/ DAC's(that I still might get) to replace me home stereo. even me current home stereo was purchases so I could downsize from what all I had before. then one step further I sold me CD player and tied it to me iMac. I wasn't sure if I could get much smaller than this set up and still enjoy me music.

I think a headphone system was the answer I was looking for! I still love to listen to speakers but I now do the majority of me listening be it music or movies with me headphone system. when I was younger I was never keen on being tethered to me stereo but now it does not bother me. I live in a small place and there is nowhere in it with a 15' headphone extension that I do not have access to. me front door, me kitchen, me bathroom and me bed. it's almost the same freedom as with speakers..

I got my headphone portable system near complete and this for reasons I cannot fully explain was important to me at first. when I can next will be to step up to a headphone home system.

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #52 of 72
100% headphones, the only time I use speakers is when I have several people over and we're all using the computer. My Logitech 5.1's are collecting dust...

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how many people here listen to music exclusively through headphones, or mostly through headphones?

Ehmmm... fanboy-ism?

You have to thank this forum!
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, I just love the feel of a nice pair of headphones on my head, especially circumaural headphones. It feels wrong to hear music without something on my ears!

Do you where earmuffs when you go to concerts? J/K.

You and I sit on oppsite sides of the fence, but such is the nature of personal preferences.

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Do you where earmuffs when you go to concerts?

frown.gif
You know what I mean.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #57 of 72
No speakers due to the college lifestyle: move around too much, roommates, and staying up too late to make speaker-listening impossible

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #58 of 72
My speakers are sort of dying out on me, but hopefully within a week or so I can move onto about 75% headphone usage once I finally get myself a good pair.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #59 of 72
headphones only, I don't have room in my room for a nice speaker setup, and my family wouldn't want me pumping music throughout the house. Also good for the late night video watching, but that's for another forum :lol but anyway, yeah and you can have multiple pairs of headphones without need multiple rooms
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back