how many use headphones only, no speakers?
Dec 31, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% headhones. Had complaining neighbours in earlier days and got used to the intimacy and detailling of headphones. Feel like getting only 75% when using speakers.

Pretty much me too. For music, I'm 99% headphones, so I've taken to just listening out of my portable(s)/UM2 most of the time. My neighbors didn't complain about me - I had to complain about them - the deadly hip-hop/subwoofer/adjoining apartment combo. A shame too, as I've finally gotten a decent sounding home rig, but now I don't use them much out of retaliatory fear (I don't have a sub for this reason). But - the silver lining was impetus/excuse to invest in higher quality cans/IEMs!
3000smile.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much me too. For music, I'm 99% headphones, so I've taken to just listening out of my portable(s)/UM2 most of the time. My neighbors didn't complain about me - I had to complain about them - the deadly hip-hop/subwoofer/adjoining apartment combo. A shame too, as I've finally gotten a decent sounding home rig, but now I don't use them much out of retaliatory fear (I don't have a sub for this reason). But - the silver lining was impetus/excuse to invest in higher quality cans/IEMs!
3000smile.gif

same situation with me. But the avantgardes are just so fit for me that im considering switching camps.

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 72
I typically listen to music through my Joseph Audio RM25's... After searching for years to find a speaker system to present my varied taste in music, I finally found one. Since I can not sit still, speakers allow me to freely move around while listening.

I typically use headphones for more critcal listening, especially when a new a new CD is added to the collection. I like to break-down all the instument separation and guitar work, while really getting a clear perspective of the vocals / lyrics.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #36 of 72
Movies: 100% speakers (I've got a speaker setup that's really good for cinematic surround)

Music: 100% headphones: insanely expensive rig just for headphones.....it had better sound great for music!!!! Detail with great headstage makes it so that I'm not missing speakers. Though it's purely personal, since no one else can listen to the music with you.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #37 of 72
100% Headphones.

My dad often works in nightshifts and sleeps during the day so buying speakers is not an option. Still wanted a good sound so I bought me some HD650's last year
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #39 of 72
Personally I would say I use headphones 90% of the time and speakers 10%. The speakers I mostly use for parties, gatherings, etc. They are great for producing simple background noise, lol. I gave up on trying to get good sound as I live in a loft out here in sf and the shape and materials of the place are about as horrid as you can get. The only complaint w/headphones of course is the cord limiting to where you can move around. I suppose its somewhat ironic but I bought some time ago a pair of the wireless senn's for watching tv and free movement around the house when doing projects and still use them probably the most. Course I prefer sitting down and listening through home rig with much better cans, but surprisingly the wireless senns don't sound that bad.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #41 of 72
Headphones 93%, speakers 7% (not including driving).

I've been "borrowing" a pair of Sansui S-820U speakers for the last several years, and only recently did I finally acquire a cheapish Onkyo R1 receiver to drive them. Before this I had relied on - don't laugh - an Aiwa all-in-one craporama to do the job. Leftover junk from my teen years.

For a couple years prior I had been eying some kind of cheap-but-good Onkyo setup, but never felt like plunking down $500+ for it. The irony here is that I have now spent ~$4000 on headphones and related equipment. There is something more accessible about headphones as a hobby than speakers. It would never occur to me to spend many hundreds/thousands of dollars on a pair of speakers just to see if I like them. Shipping costs involved in resale might play a factor here.

Also, I have housemates. This played a huge roll in delving into headphones to begin with. Now that I'm here, I don't think I want to leave.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 72
I use headphones only... only when I can't listen to speakers. Unfortunately, I have reached a point where no headphone setup really impresses me and headphones have simply become a tool of convenience.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 72
60% headphones, 40% good speakers. sometimes you want the extra details and privacy of headphones, sometimes you want that bass punch and just more sound you can feel that can only be achieved from good loudspeakers.

although ever since i got my beyers, i have been listening to them more (whereas it used to be more speaker time before)

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #44 of 72
I'm actually moving into using speakers as well as headphones, even though my first love will always be the 'phones.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #45 of 72
Just headphones...mainly because I have no speakers at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back