how many use headphones only, no speakers?
Dec 31, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #16 of 72
I loved my SR-404s, but speakers just have that kind of energy, weight, and fun that headphones can't match. My $50 Insignias rivaled my $700 STAX rig. I'd love to listen to a $700 pair of speakers; I imagine they'd completely knock the SR-404 out of the water (Though I wouldn't be surprised, considering I'm comparing speakers to headphones).

I honestly don't have the golden ears like others to see the faults of speaker rigs when compared to headphone rigs (And I'm not complaining since I'm loving the sound of my speakers).

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 72
I mainly listen to my speakered gear when at home. My headphones are used at work extensively, and at home during very late night listening when my daughter is trying to ZZZZZ.

I find that although I immensely enjoy music through both speakered and headphone listening, my preference is the speakered system. I'm blessed to have a dedicated listening room that's pretty well dialed in. Furthermore, the physical, visceral impact of speaker-reproduced music particularly in the lower bass regions (and I'm not talking about hearing-damaging SPLs) makes speaker listening a more total and thus satisfying listening experience for me; I feel this is an area relatively unreproduceable by headphones. Being unfettered by a headphone cord is a plus, although maximizing speaker listening may require the listener to sit within a specific zone. For me, it's easier to share a social, speakered listening experience with others and still have the ease of interacting / conversing; headphone listening seems to be a more solo and isolating experience to me.

There's trade-offs with everything, but in my situation, I'm blessed to be like Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd at the end of the movie Trading Places: "What about lunch? The lobster or the cracked crab?" "What do you think? Can't we have both?" "Why not?"

Peace, and best wishes to all for a Happy New Year.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #18 of 72
i listen to headphones exclusively... used to be a speaker guy and i like speakers but the ones i own are in office and they suck compared to my headphones. if i could get nice speakers and not be bothering to anyone then id go that route

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 72
Mostly headphones, not many people like brutal death metal.:p

I listen to my DAB Radio every night, its set to turn off after 50 minutes.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 72
I have both setups that I enjoy. To be honest I prefer the speaker setup. I like the sound stage and dynamics of my speakers. I listen to headphones upstairs in the computer room and IEM's exclusively when I travel.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 72
Unless I'm in the car, it's 100% headphones. For music. I don't think I'll EVER be able to find a speaker setup that is satisfactory now. At least not one that I'm willing to pay for.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much do you think it would cost you'all to get speaker setup that sound better than your headphones.

I bought a $3000 pair of speakers and am still using a cheap reciever. I feel it is much better than my headphone rigs.

I run an HD-DVD player as my CD player now (because it was much better than my rotel player ?!?!) and bypass my internal DAC in the reviever (this lets the HD-DVD player to the Anolog to digital conversions).

Now I feel that my headphones have to many flaws. My MS-2s sound way to bright (I loved them before my speaker upgrade) and my 650 are too soft and boomy. Both of my headphones lack the "air" that my speakers give me.

I still really like headphones though and use them at night but all of my money is going into my speaker rig now.....I still need good pre-pro amps.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #24 of 72
HP 75% Speakers 25%
Headphones when i want to listen to my music criticaly and deeply, when my gf is sleeping or listening to his music with my K81 or when i play games.
Speakers the rest of the time, when im in the kitchen, taking my bath, or when i listen to my music alone.
I have bad speakers but when ill receive my insignia set that would probably be 50/50. I feel fatigue when i listen to long to my headphones but still love them so much!

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 72
I definitely find speakers the most enjoyable and liberating option. Having a room filled with the glory of good music is the thing that headphones try to replicate in my opinion. Because headphones are so close to your ears, there is little details that might be ever so slightly more apparent, this is no way outweighs the pleasure of having a great source/amp/speaker in a good room set-up.

That body and tone and enveloping sensation of music from speakers wins out for me, but i do love headphones too, as you can't be playing speakers late at night when people are trying to sleep.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #26 of 72
100% headphones as i just sold my logitech z-680's so i don't even have any speakers attached to my computer, though i'm looking ot change that with a receiver and a 2.0 setup. =T

then it would be something like 95% headphone, 5% speaker.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP 75% Speakers 25%
Headphones when i want to listen to my music criticaly and deeply, when my gf is sleeping or listening to his music with my K81 or when i play games.
Speakers the rest of the time, when im in the kitchen, taking my bath, or when i listen to my music alone.
I have bad speakers but when ill receive my insignia set that would probably be 50/50. I feel fatigue when i listen to long to my headphones but still love them so much!

just about all of this i can relate to..

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 72
In addition to the obvious financial burden speakers would impose, I lack a good room to put them in or much time to listen to them when I wouldn't be bothering others. So I'll be Headphone-Only for quite some time now.

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #30 of 72
About a week ago, at home my headphone usage was pretty much nil, while at work, on the bus, walking, it was 100% of the time. I used speakers a lot at home.

The sound quality of my first set of headphones really gave me the option of enjoying headphones a lot more. I still use speakers, though, when I'm away from the computer, or doing work in the room that makes it so I don't a long enough cord. When working at the computer, which is where the majority of my time is spent during a day - I prefer headphones over anything else. Speakers are kinda nice, but don't sound as good (I'm using some higher-end computer speakers as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back