how many use headphones only, no speakers?
Jan 1, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #61 of 72
Mainly headphones but sometimes computer speakers. Traditional speakers never
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #62 of 72
fogot to mention that i like the feeling of being able to hold your investment in your hand and that headphones are much more detailed for the most part.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #63 of 72
I enjoyed using both headphones and speakers when I lived in a single house, but when I moved into a townhouse I pretty much started using just headphones. Otherwise I would still be using both.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #64 of 72
i too am strictly a headphoner.

i was rudly reminded of WHY i am strictly a headphoner the other night.
i had long ago salvaged some parts from my s5 tube amp (search for details) and it had been nonfunctional all summer. i FINALLY decided to put the new parts (too big to use in the amp i salvaged the old parts for) in the s5 so i could listen to some tunes while i worked on a project. i played the amp for a few miniutes, and POOF, "could you turn it down" says my sister. i was discusted, and shut it off.

so im jsut for the headphones.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #65 of 72
Can't do it, just can't. I need to hear the world around me sometimes! You don't know how many times I've been yelled at for missing something because I had my headphones on and couldn't hear the phone, or someone yelling for me!

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #66 of 72
Speakers most of the time. Because I like to get up and walk around a lot while still listening to my music (headphones have a cord), and sometimes I like to turn in a way that the sound isn't all going into my ears (sorta like having a quiet moment while still listening to your music).

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #67 of 72
Headphones - 98%

In college I couldn't afford decent headphones. When I graduated and could afford better gear I went with speakers. The ensuring upgrade spiral included speakers, not phones. I prefered being able to move around while listening along with the social aspects of speakers. Years later I went from single family dwellings to a condo and thus my first decent headphone purchase. Then back to single family (and acerage) and speakers except for traveling. Lately my wife's tolerance for my music has decreased plus the need for a diversion while away from the house drove me back to headphones.

Like others have said, speakers provide a different experience from headphones. But with headphones I can listen to what I want, carry my music with me, and enjoy music fidelity that is dang close to what I have at home. Plus with headphones for different listening situations and genres, what more could I ask?
580smile.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #68 of 72
Like em both, but I like my PSB Speakers when I'm home alone and can really crank it up. Headphones have their place, but I like the open sound of speakers if the volume is up enough.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #69 of 72
Almost purely headphones for music (have decent surround sound system in the theater but when I'm watching a movie alone I usually use headphones too). I'd like a really nice speaker system but haven't heard one yet that I could afford and thought sounded better than my headphone rig. Last night I spent a couple hours helping a friend set up his speakers ($30K system) and was dramatically reminded of one of the reasons I've invested I more in headphones. Room interaction/accoustics can make a really nice speaker system sound like crud.

Ant

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. Room interaction/accoustics can make a really nice speaker system sound like crud.

Yes, but that really isn't that hard to fix using basic acoustic treatment and advanced DRC. I'm not sure why people make it out to be so difficult.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but that really isn't that hard to fix using basic acoustic treatment and advanced DRC. I'm not sure why people make it out to be so difficult.

I will have to disagree in part with that it is not difficult to get accoustics correct w/o some seriously crappy looking things being put around the area and moving the room all around to accomidate speakers is a bit too much, at least for me. I can say in my case they wanted to hang things on the glass walls. So I settled on okay locations for good room filling sound. Granted my loft is 3 walls glass and hardwood for the other 3 in that area, so its a bit uncommon but my point is the same. Thats another real huge advantage of cans, they don't care about the room
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have to disagree in part with that it is not difficult to get accoustics correct w/o some seriously crappy looking things being put around the area and moving the room all around to accomidate speakers is a bit too much, at least for me. I can say in my case they wanted to hang things on the glass walls. So I settled on okay locations for good room filling sound. Granted my loft is 3 walls glass and hardwood for the other 3 in that area, so its a bit uncommon but my point is the same. Thats another real huge advantage of cans, they don't care about the room
smily_headphones1.gif

It is difficult with acoustic treamtents alone. Advanced DRC has reached a point where it makes it quite easy to achieve great sound in virtually any environment. Admittedly, however, glass is hard to deal with. Nevertheless, I guarantee I could vastly improve your speaker listening experience despite your unique acoustic challenges, without doing anything more to your physical environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back