how many use headphones only, no speakers?
Dec 31, 2006 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering how many people here listen to music exclusively through headphones, or mostly through headphones?

If you are head-fi only or mostly, why? Have you always been that way?

I have strong tendencies in that direction. I have Vandersteens at the moment, but I've lived only with headphones for long periods of time. I prefer the intimacy and privacy of headphones, but also feel that it's a relief to not have to try to overcome the room and how it affects sound quality.

And don't forget - - - money! You can buy a LOT more fun, and get far superior sound quality, for less dough with cans.

=gregg=

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 72
100% headhones. Had complaining neighbours in earlier days and got used to the intimacy and detailling of headphones. Feel like getting only 75% when using speakers.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 72
I spend a lot more time with my headphone rigs, than my speaker rig.
At least four (4) hours a day with headphones, while top one (1) hour with speakers.

Why?
* Higher sound quality.
* Don't disturb anyone.
* Speaker rig in public transportation? Not me...
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 72
I've been into speakers long before I discovered Head-fi (at which time I've already had a complete speaker setup and a decent headphone rig: HD-570, SR-80 and my Creek OBH-21 amp).

Frankly there is still something I love from my speakers that I cannot get from headphones, something alluring in the way sound is presented to me. In a way, I am more a speakers person than a headphone person. I do however use headphones a lot so I can listen in private and also because I am not blessed with the perfect room so as to be able to properly setup my speakers, which are currently sitting on the right side of where I sit. Given the chance (and a better room) however, I will not hesitate to unload my cash on a great speakers system. My ears tell me speakers are the way to go - whether pricey or not.

Head-fi community probably hates me now as a whole.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 72
Headphones only. I would really like a nice speaker rig though. The "airiness" is not something you can get with headphones, unless we're talking about the Orpheus/HEV90 setup.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how many people here listen to music exclusively through headphones, or mostly through headphones?

If you are head-fi only or mostly, why? Have you always been that way?

I have strong tendencies in that direction. I have Vandersteens at the moment, but I've lived only with headphones for long periods of time. I prefer the intimacy and privacy of headphones, but also feel that it's a relief to not have to try to overcome the room and how it affects sound quality.

And don't forget - - - money! You can buy a LOT more fun, and get far superior sound quality, for less dough with cans.

=gregg=

Children, macaw, and beagle don't share Dad's musical tastes, nor volume preference. Headphones and IEMs are all I *can* use, but I do have some very nice speakers to crank Rush on on the rare occasion when I'm alone.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 72
98% through headphones.

I really prefer listening through speakers, but it's so rare I get a chance to listen to music at the volumes I want without lots of distractions. Also, in my new place my HT room is so akward shaped. It's fairly impossible to get a flat pure sound, the bass has lots of peaks and valleys I just cannot do much anything to fix.

For HT though, Headphones just don't come close
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 72
These days it's headphones except for music DVDs, then it's speakers and TV. I have a decent set of Vandersteens too so it's not like I'm suffering too much
tongue.gif

In years gone by it was probly a 50-50 split. I always had phones and always had speakers but my speakers were usually a lot better than my phones and I had more free reign as far as volume levels were concerned. Now I have to be more... considerate
rolleyes.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much do you think it would cost you'all to get speaker setup that sound better than your headphones.

Probably $25-30.000+.
$10.000 on electrostatic speakers, $10.000 on amplification, $2500 on source, and $2500 on cables. Last, but not least, a new room which are suitable for high-end speaker setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back