How many of you rip silent tracks?
May 10, 2008 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

damayor521

100+ Head-Fier
Out of curiousity, how many of you also rip the silent tracks off of CDs? I know I've done it with one of Coheed's albums and also with a dead prez album, since it wasn't much. But I'm kinda debating whether I should do it with the NIN "Broken" album since tracks 7-97 are silent.

May 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 11
I do as if you use lossless it may end up in CDA format again and you may want to be able to reference tracks off of a DB service at some point in the future. If there was no chance of that I'd get rid of them.

May 10, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 11
No, thanks.

May 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 11
I skip them.
No need to have multiple empty files around.

May 10, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 11
I keep them all. Not because they sound great, obviously
wink.gif

I just like to have exactly the same experience playing back my albums through iTunes that I would listening to the CD. If using a variable bit rate encoder, the silent files take up virtually no space anyway, and they can be unchecked in iTunes or otherwise skipped if the silence can't be dealt with.

May 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 11
When I ripped "Broken" i got rid of them.
I listen in random mode and it weirds me out to have the dead files go blipping through.

May 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 11
I hate them and never rip them. Even worse is 10 minutes of silence at the end of the next to last track before the so called hidden track. I have a few CDs that have that. All it does is force me to never listen to the CD.

May 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just like to have exactly the same experience playing back my albums through iTunes that I would listening to the CD. If using a variable bit rate encoder, the silent files take up virtually no space anyway, and they can be unchecked in iTunes or otherwise skipped if the silence can't be dealt with.

Same for me. The experience of being annoyed the sound stopped and skipping 50 empty tracks is one I cherish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back