how many of you guys cook???
Jul 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,402 of 3,876
^ I've always wanted to own one. Reminds me of the late night commercials with George and me with my beer.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,403 of 3,876
They're only twenty bucks and can do some quick cooking.  Might be a hair too hot for some things, but totally worth the cost.  The tilt they have to knock out the fat ® and the protective overhang of the top part to keep counter top splatter to a minimum are great.

I used to prop up the front and cook eggs on it too.  All kinds of things.  Money well spent.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,404 of 3,876
The George Foreman grills were awesome. I remember having some of the best chicken on that thing. I think there's a lot better on the market now, but at the time this thing was one of the best things when you didn't have your own kitchen and didn't feel like fighting with roommates.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,405 of 3,876
Do not buy the Cuisanart Griddler panini press.  It's terrible.

Unless you want something like this and a terrible mess to clean up.  Unless you cooking a single dry ingredient, like flour or black pepper.  
tongue_smile.gif

The tilt of the Foreman really makes it worth it to me.  Smart.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,406 of 3,876
Quote:
I really don't mean to be that guy, but did you know that one single small egg contains 70% of the cholesterol you're supposed to have for the day? That's why I remove the yolks when making egg dishes. You keep the protein and stuff, but lose most if the harmful stuff.

Don't fall for that, egg yolks are a vitally important source of nutrients and contain lecithin, an emulsifier that actually dissolves the plaque in your arteries. The whites have the protein but the yolks have the nutrients. If you want a bonus, see what the guy says about salt, a vital mineral. Everything he says is backed up by recent research and is well-referenced.
Dr. Mercola: Don't Be Chicken if the Egg

Quote:
To get a good burger, would try to make a 5 or six ounce patty. Would use a lid of a large spice container or equivelant. Form patty until it is uniform in shape and thickness. Should be around 1/2 or so in thickness. Chill to set shape. Get grill as hot as possible. Put down a little oil. Put patty on. When you see juices to seep out flip. When the patty is not spongy it is medium, when slightly firming up, med well. Not giving any advice on seasoning or more ninja tricks.. This is just to get you started.

This might be the best advice so far. Smashing the burger down is the worst thing you can do to it, besides the fact that it ruins the sear and squeezes out the juices, it deprives the burger of vital air pockets that are conducive to allowing for the maximum amount of the heated surface areas that give caramelization and taste.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,407 of 3,876
Hey can you guys give me some advice on burgers?
I can only pan fry it since it's my only tool.

If you have a good hood fan, a cast iron pan is a great tool for burgers.

While a flat cast iron flat skillet is fine, I use a cast iron grill pan.

Really,it is my go to pan for hamburgers (jumbo shrimps, chops, fish, steaks & stone in fruits are equally good)
Some people find it too heavy and hard to clean but not so for me.
A good medium high heat on the burner, some high smoke point safflower oil on the grill pan and in go the burgers, cooked through in 5 minutes or so.
Once you figure out your stove top burner and cast iron pan, you'll get it right every time with no more than a couple flips.

Those Foreman grills just do not get hot enough to properly sear beef indoors and neither is it wise to heat up a non stick aluminum pan to 500F.
Cast iron all the way.

If you do not have funds for a new pan, you could simply try oven roasting your burgers.
Put burgers on a rack placed within a foil lined baking sheet.
Pre heat oven to 475F, roast burgers until 130-135F internal for medium rare.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,409 of 3,876

From the bottom up : buttered bun, caramelized onions, sirloin patty, cheddar cheese, maple-cured thick-cut bacon, sirloin patty, cheddar cheese, maple-cured thick cut bacon, buttered bun.

Saturday pan-roasted Strip Steak. Tried out this recipe from the Food Network, but I added a little bit of cayenne pepper, cumin, curry, and nutmeg. I'll try this on flank steak next time and double the cayenne pepper and pepper flakes. This took only 1min on each side with the electric stove on its highest setting (too lazy and hungry to light charcoal) for rare, and as I always do to try to not make everyone else at the table lose their appetite, I do a half-arsed teppanyaki technique and slice the steak after resting (leaving the fat strip on so I can move the whole steak as essentially a single piece), de-glaze with brandy then melt more butter in the pan, then put the steak back in for about 30secs on each side. No one sees bare red meat, but with every slice I put in my mouth all exposed sides are nicely seared but the center is tender and juicy. Almost made it until some of the juice squirted out of my mouth and my aunt got creeped out, said I looked like a zombie.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,410 of 3,876
Quote:

From the bottom up : buttered bun, caramelized onions, sirloin patty, cheddar cheese, maple-cured thick-cut bacon, sirloin patty, cheddar cheese, maple-cured thick cut bacon, buttered bun.

You are off the charts awesome!  That is excellent!

So awesome, I don't feel bad for quoting a picture!

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,411 of 3,876
My word, how do you wrap you mouth around that one?

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,414 of 3,876
Quote:

You are off the charts awesome!  That is excellent!

So awesome, I don't feel bad for quoting a picture!

Thanks! What can I say - a hungry man's gotta do what a hungry man's gotta do
tongue_smile.gif

Oh, missed one detail in the original description - the bacon was fried to a crisp in butter, then I added more butter and cooked the burgers. I also used Harris Ranch (normally used for my steaks) seasoning on these right before cooking.

Quote:
My word, how do you wrap you mouth around that one?

Quote:

edit: Apologies for Safari formatting bug.

I didn't think of how to bite into it until I was about to eat the damned thing! I mashed it with my hands a little, any juices that spilled they went to the bread. Then I took one bite, and the burger was so juicy, meat juice went all over my plate. Not only was I wiping the juices with the bread at every bite, but with every bite, around that much juice went out of the burgers and they were still juicy while I'm chewing. I used 3/4kg of ground sirloin (for flavor) and 1/4kg of regular, fatty ground beef (for juicy fat that melts when cooking) for the patties.

I was on Skype with my brother and he showed these to my Dad after I posted them on Facebook. I can hear my Dad talking to my Mom in the background: "Son of a bitch, look at what he's eating over there! If he wasn't actually losing weight and cooking his own food, I'd suspect he's depressed and coping with food." How can I not lose weight, I cut out processed food! The most "processed" food I eat nowadays is smoked bacon and sausages, and cheap cheese, and neither are anywhere near pink slime burgers and nuggets.

------

Quote:
I know this is about cooking, but you guys need to try the pretzel bacon cheeseburger at wendy's! It's so good..

We haven't got them in this side of the world yet, but I might be flying to the US West Coast next spring. Which reminds me - when I flew in last year and this lady was chatting me up about how I managed to not go there for eight years and what was I most excited about, I replied : "In-N-Out Triple-Triple...and decent steaks from Costco."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back