how many of you guys cook???
Jul 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,371 of 3,876
Quote:
Ooooh I haven't tried lemon grass, will try that tomorrow
beerchug.gif

3 c. rice vinegar
1/2 c. cut-up fresh ginger
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 to 6 serrano chiles cut in half. You can vary the heat.

Combine all the ingredients in a pot, then
bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat. Let it cool

Pour it into a glass jar. Or if you want you can strain it before pouring it into the jar.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,372 of 3,876
Quote:
Summer's bounty in California mean fresh ripe fruit for pie.  Nectarines with a splash of bourbon pie with pecan streusel.

Looking good daigo!

Quote:
Quote:
Ooooh I haven't tried lemon grass, will try that tomorrow
beerchug.gif

3 c. rice vinegar

Pour it into a glass jar. Or if you want you can strain it before pouring it into the jar.

That looks like a great marinade/braising liquid for a lot of things!

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #2,373 of 3,876
Quote:

3 c. rice vinegar

beerchug.gif
Thanks! Will prep this tonight.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,375 of 3,876
@ClaytonSF,

Got the vinegar ready, just waiting for when we have pork belly night. BTW, try eating some of that pork belly with sunny side-up eggs - like break the yolk over the belly or eat the yolk last with a bite or two of the crispy pork. I get chills down my spine everytime I do this, although I have to be honest, half of the reason for the chills is from thinking, "OMG my arteries!"

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,376 of 3,876
@ProtegeManiac,
Yummy. I made the pork belly again and this time I used your egg suggestion. I poached my egg.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,377 of 3,876
I really don't mean to be that guy, but did you know that one single small egg contains 70% of the cholesterol you're supposed to have for the day? That's why I remove the yolks when making egg dishes. You keep the protein and stuff, but lose most if the harmful stuff.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,378 of 3,876
I eat 1 whole egg every day plus a lot cheeses.
My last cholesterol checkup was in May of this year.

These were the results:
     Total=144 LDL/HDL
     80 LDL/64 HDL.

My doctor said that I needn't change my diet so I haven't. :wink:
Maybe I should.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,380 of 3,876
I eat 1 whole egg every day plus a lot cheeses.
My last cholesterol checkup was in May of this year.

These were the results:
     Total=144 LDL/HDL

80 LDL/64 HDL.

My doctor said that I needn't change my diet so I haven't. :wink:
Maybe I should.

Ok, your levels are pretty awesome. Carry on then :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2,381 of 3,876
Quote:
@ProtegeManiac,
Yummy. I made the pork belly again and this time I used your egg suggestion. I poached my egg.

Glad you enjoyed it!
o2smile.gif

Quote:
I really don't mean to be that guy, but did you know that one single small egg contains 70% of the cholesterol you're supposed to have for the day? That's why I remove the yolks when making egg dishes. You keep the protein and stuff, but lose most if the harmful stuff.

Yeah but you lose the tasty stuff!
tongue_smile.gif
It's the yolk that adds flavor to other food, and the whites...well I consider that an extender, or texture like when baking.

In any case, you're not really supposed to eat pork belly and egg on a daily basis. Back in college there was a separate cafeteria next to our gym complex, and they had fantastic grilled and deep-fried pork belly. After completing my phys ed units I still ate there, and within a few days into that semester I felt the difference of how much the daily required 8km jogs or competitive matches (ball sports or martial arts) helped in processing the pork belly and the bacon and eggs I have for breakfast.

It's kind of like sisig - Senor Sisig servings are safe enough for a few weekday lunches, but if you drink often and heavily the Philippines, that means you'd probably eat at least 4x the servings of one lunch at the food truck on one night, and that also comes with a serving of other pig parts like deep-frid pig foreleg or innards. For halal and kosher folk, our steak houses even found a use for the excess fat off the porterhouse and rib to match what the Christians are eating - toasted Wagyu fats; and even long before that, soem street food carts specialize in deep-fried "leather" (cow rinds). If you work in a really stressful environment over here, these will NOT be offset by the wine or the psychological effects of chilling out on a Friday night! Recently many restaurants offer them in appetizer serving sizes as opposed to the Chinese main course serving size we've been used to, so yo uget to try them once in a while even if you're dining alone without thinking of how much less tasty or crunchy they'll be if you pack it and bring it home.

In any case, I haven't seen a cardiologist with a cheap car over here. Heck many people with money here have hearts that already look like a freeway interchange, and personally I predict that the new experimental sonic artery bulldozer (whatever it's called, but it's basically a subwoofer or supertweeter that fits in the arteries and uses soundwaves to break up blockages) will catch on faster than vegetarian food. Heck, deep-fried blocks of pork belly came from a region north of Manila where people are known to eat mostly boiled vegetables, and yet they came up with that.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,382 of 3,876
Hey can you guys give me some advice on burgers?
So I've tried making burgers on multiple occasions. However every time I make a burger the inside is completely raw in the middle. I can only pan fry it since it's my only tool. I usually cook each side for 20 seconds and than flip. I do this for around 6 minutes. But end up with a burger that's raw in the middle every time :frowning2:   So what am I doing wrong?

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,384 of 3,876
Quote:
Hey can you guys give me some advice on burgers?
So I've tried making burgers on multiple occasions. However every time I make a burger the inside is completely raw in the middle. I can only pan fry it since it's my only tool. I usually cook each side for 20 seconds and than flip. I do this for around 6 minutes. But end up with a burger that's raw in the middle every time :frowning2:   So what am I doing wrong?

The problem with flipping so often is that it doesn't allow heat to properly penetrate. Here's how I pan sear my steaks...it also applies to burgers.

If you're cooking for a total of six minutes, cook one side for three minutes before flipping. Don't touch the burger once it hits the pan.

This will allow for better heat penetration, thus even cooking.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,385 of 3,876
Quote:
So what am I doing wrong?

100% agree with eke2k6, one flip is all it gets.  Don't smash em down either, I see too many friends do that.  They get yelled at.  A good time to flip is when juices start sitting on the top of the burger.  Guess that depends on a temps and how you like em done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back