how many of you guys cook???
Dec 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,891 of 3,876
Quote:

First time that I am happy with my "latte art"!
Hope coffee qualifies as "cooking"!
wink_face.gif

Excellent. I can see that you've depicted a Greek ship sailing into a storm.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,892 of 3,876
Quote:

Excellent. I can see that you've depicted a Greek ship sailing into a storm.
biggrin.gif

Exactly my intention!
wink_face.gif

The coffee is called "Flat White".....here in New Zealand.Two shots of espresso topped with frothed,silky milk.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #1,893 of 3,876
I made steak fajitas the other day. Not particularly difficult, though a little time consuming preparing everything. I based it on this recipe but sort of made it my own. I used a lot more garlic, probably too much (next time I'm cutting it down), two jalapeno peppers (just chopped them whole instead of cutting out the seeds and pith), and dried parsley instead of cilantro (didn't have any on hand). I also just basically marinated the steak in the whole seasoning and oil mess instead of just coating it like the recipe says, and I put the salt in the marinade instead of sprinkling it on after scraping off the marinade.

I'm making them again later today, so I might document some of the process. Not much to see, really. Just takes a long time to cook if you don't want your meat bright red inside and chewy.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,895 of 3,876
Big pile of "brocco-ravioli surprise":

On a plate with some pine nuts:

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,896 of 3,876
Super crisp chicken legs 12 in a pack for $6.20
Rubbed with peanut oil,spiced with Clubhouse "la Grille" seasoned salt.
Baked in a steel enameled open roasting pan @ 350F for 1hr:35 mins.

Every bit as good as a feed of wings.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,897 of 3,876
Oh those legs! I'm going to make those this weekend. So an hour and 35mins is not too long? Is this your own recipe? It looks good enough to try myself. Thanks.

I made a buttermilk pie. It tastes like a custard pie but it is not as rich.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,898 of 3,876
So an hour and 35mins is not too long? Is this your own recipe?

Chicken legs usually have a thick layer of skin,the idea is to bring the legs as close to well done as possible.
Just past the halfway point,pull them out and turn them over,leaving in the fat that renders out.
Use a steel enameled roasting pan (with high sides) and place uncovered on the lower middle oven rack.
They should be just sticking to the bottom of the pan when you pull them out and yes,for some people,be on the dry side - but you will forget all about that when you bite in.
Try it and report back...

Recipe courtesy of ex-wife # 1.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,899 of 3,876
^ Thanks! I didn't think about turning them over. I love slightly dried chicken legs. Like turkey legs there's something great about tearing it apart with your bare teeth. The legs do hold up to the heat. Now I feel like a joust!

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,900 of 3,876
Quote:
Oh those legs! I'm going to make those this weekend. So an hour and 35mins is not too long? Is this your own recipe? It looks good enough to try myself. Thanks.

I made a buttermilk pie. It tastes like a custard pie but it is not as rich.

I've actually never heard of this. It looks like an open pie, so I'm assuming the golden color is just where the filling browned and crisped on top.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,901 of 3,876
^ That is correct. I had to rotate the pie to get an even golden color and browning on the edge.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,902 of 3,876
Fried rice with egg, kimchi and prosciutto.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,904 of 3,876
Like.  
biggrin.gif

My Ipod Touch camera is so poor, I've given up on posting pictures lately.

Mine's not much better and it's a dedicated picture taking device, if you want to be charitable enough to give it that distinction.

More on topic, how many of you out there can handle one of these:

In case you can't tell from my crappy camera, that's a ghost pepper. It's one lucky specimen I picked from the two plastic bags full of these I have in my freezer from the past summer's yield. In a few hours it'll be chopped up and thrown into a stir fry. A gruesome fate, but it'll certainly put up quite the fight when the food is eaten.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,905 of 3,876
^ I don't know. What is its Scoville Heat Unit? Is it hotter than the Habenero? And where did you procure this specimen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back