how many of you guys cook???
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,906 of 3,876
It's about three times as hot as the average habanero, at ~1M S.U. I got a boatload of these over the summer. All four of my plants put out dozens of peppers. I froze a bunch of them, and this is one of those, thawed out.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,908 of 3,876
Quote:
Are you planning to use the seeds in your stir-fry?

I chopped it up, seeds and all. It would have been annoying to try to get them out since the peppers were frozen, and thawed they sort of turn into mush held together by the skin. It adds to the heat, of course, but that's just part of the charm.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,909 of 3,876
looks like a ghost pepper?  I tried one once (housemates grew some a few years back), a stupid mistake... i think they average 500 thousand scovilles when grown in a pot.  it burned for 3 days, and I could barely taste anything for another 10. 

gl hf! 

Quote:

More on topic, how many of you out there can handle one of these:

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,910 of 3,876
Quote:
looks like a ghost pepper?  I tried one once (housemates grew some a few years back), a stupid mistake... i think they average 500 thousand scovilles when grown in a pot.  it burned for 3 days, and I could barely taste anything for another 10. 

gl hf! 

Wow, that's the most severe reaction I've ever heard anybody have to one of these. Granted I've never actually just eaten one by itself, so maybe that's a different thing altogether. It helps to have milk or cream on hand immediately if a pepper is too hot. Or, somewhat surprisingly, iced tea works decently well, provided it's real iced tea and not brown colored lemonade like a lot of bottled teas these days.

Ghost peppers are definitely not for the faint of heart. Anything made with a ghost pepper is going to be blistering, and the flavor is incredibly strong as well. You have to like how they taste, or else they'll ruin anything you put them in, even if you can handle the heat. To me they taste like a very strong habanero, with somewhat less of the fruity flavor of the latter and a hint of black pepper.

I was just interested if anybody here has cooked with these. So far I've just put them in stir fry, though I imagine they'd make some nice spicy fajitas or chili. I'm actually trying to come up with ideas for what to do with them (without cheating and using Google), since I've got dozens in the freezer.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,911 of 3,876
Quote:

I was just interested if anybody here has cooked with these. So far I've just put them in stir fry, though I imagine they'd make some nice spicy fajitas or chili. I'm actually trying to come up with ideas for what to do with them (without cheating and using Google), since I've got dozens in the freezer.

Personally for me I would use about 1mm of the tip, smashed with garlic into a paste and then spread it on top of a small dab of cream cheese for protection and then onto a cracker because it would be my first time with a ghost!

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,913 of 3,876
^ It is yummy. Make sure you chop up the kimchi into smaller sizes and pour a little of the kimchi liquid into the rice while it is frying and let it reduce down to almost nothing. It certainly spices and flavors the rice even better. I think bacon is better but all I had was prosciutto. I scrambled the eggs. You can also Google kimchi fried rice to see how others make it.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,914 of 3,876
Quote:
^ It is yummy. Make sure you chop up the kimchi into smaller sizes and pour a little of the kimchi liquid into the rice while it is frying and let it reduce down to almost nothing. It certainly spices and flavors the rice even better. I think bacon is better but all I had was prosciutto. I scrambled the eggs. You can also Google kimchi fried rice to see how others make it.

Cool, I have try roasted duck as I have some left over from last night.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,915 of 3,876
Quote:
Cool, I have try roasted duck as I have some left over from last night.

Excellent idea. I love tea smoked duck. Roasted duck. I love tea smoked chicken too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,916 of 3,876
I use this as a condiment, very sparingly:

Rated at 650,000 scoville units, very hot but far from the hottest chili pepper sauce:

http://www.insanechicken.com/blog/hottest-hot-sauce-scoville-scale-for-worlds-hottest-hot-sauces/

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,920 of 3,876
Quote:
I am tempted to order Pure Habenero as well as your Dave's Gourmet Ghost Pepper

How long will 15 ounces last?

That looks really good, and that's quite a generous portion. I've read about the Red Savina habanero before--it's supposed to be a special strain that's hotter than normal habs and is trademarked, I believe. Some of my habanero harvest from last summer was red, but I doubt they were Savinas since there wasn't anything specific noted when I bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back