how many of you guys cook???
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,921 of 3,876
Quote:
Since we are talking cooking here, anyone use a true Japanese style knives?  The one that will oxides/rusts?

I have one. My father gave it to me. It was his that he got 40 years ago. You have to sharpen it with a carborundum stone and water. The blade rusts if you don't dry it properly after washing it with water. I'll take a picture of it if I can find it.

When sharpened properly it is sharpest knife I own.

It looks like bottom one in this picture:

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,922 of 3,876
It looks like bottom one in this picture

Ah,ok-vintage Japanese knife.
Just watched the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi and I didn't see the old boy using any vintage knives for his sushi slicing.
I do like a good cleaver.

Hot sauce - always have the generic Frank's around,the new thick one for dipping too.
HP sauce,Tabasco and Horseradish are all staples.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,923 of 3,876
Quote:
Ah,ok-vintage japanese knife.
Just watched the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi and I didn't see the old boy using any vintage knives for his sushi slicing.
I do like a good cleaver.
Hot sauce - always have the generic Frank's around,the new thick one for dipping too.
HP sauce,Tabasco and Horseradish are all staples.

I love that ad campaign. That's why I quoted it. So now this page is twice as awesome. 
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,924 of 3,876
I have one. My father gave it to me. It was his that he got 40 years ago. You have to sharpen it with a carborundum stone and water. The blade rusts if you don't dry it properly after washing it with water. I'll take a picture of it if I can find it.

When sharpened properly it is sharpest knife I own.

It looks like bottom one in this picture:

Yes, it looks like that. My friend got one last week and swear it is the best knife he got. He and I already got Shun and Miyabi as Japanese knives.

This is the one he got.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka13.html

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,925 of 3,876
Broken-rice porridge (juk, congee) with fried green onions, kale and a super crisp chicken leg à la 5aces. Excellent!

And thank you, @5aces!

The best chicken leg recipe on this planet (and perhaps Mars, too).

Who needs a spoon, eh?

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,928 of 3,876
I cooked only 2 chicken legs and added some potatoes 1/2 way through the cooking. I followed your recipe but used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, salt, pepper, and paprika instead because I couldn't find your La Grille season salt.

I baked it at 350F for 50 minutes and then turned it over and added the potato (cut in half). I then baked it for 45 minutes. I ate one leg alone (OMG--delicious) and then added the other one to the bowl of congee and gave it to my neighbor who loved it.

Here's a picture of the potato and chicken legs before I devoured one and placed the other one in the soup bowl. It's a bad photo.

You're right: it is very simple to make and requires little attention besides turning it over halfway into the cooking.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,929 of 3,876
That looks awesome. I'm gonna try that sometime with Cajun blackening powder...

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,930 of 3,876
Something hot & spicy. I just made some potato salad topped with a few lethal drops of Habanero sauce.

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,931 of 3,876
I've tried many times, but always fail to maintain the momentum, because well, I just don't like it. I did make some good stuff right after we had our baby... some amazing smoked roasts and fried chicken from scratch, to name a couple. My wife is a food magician though, I don't know how she does it. Right now she is making jalapeno poppers using big peppers cut in half, filled with cream cheese, topped with cheddar, wrapped with bacon and "breaded" with parmesan. The best part is, this is totally permitted under the diet that we are now on.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,932 of 3,876
Quote:
I've tried many times, but always fail to maintain the momentum, because well, I just don't like it. I did make some good stuff right after we had our baby... some amazing smoked roasts and fried chicken from scratch, to name a couple. My wife is a food magician though, I don't know how she does it. Right now she is making jalapeno poppers using big peppers cut in half, filled with cream cheese, topped with cheddar, wrapped with bacon and "breaded" with parmesan. The best part is, this is totally permitted under the diet that we are now on.

Don't wanna be a downer here.. but, if your diet permits that, it's not a very good diet.

I'm working to get a place in a real kitchen as a prep cook or anything else right now guys. I'm currently a lunch lady (lol). Any advice on getting into a real kitchen? I want to work for a while in a kitchen before I commit to culinary school. Plus, everyone has told me that culinary school is a light enough of a load that I can work while going to school anyways.

Apologies if you are all strictly home cooks :) With some of the stuff you guys make, you should be working for restaurants!

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,933 of 3,876
if you were considering culinary school, that probably means you have time AND money to burn.  in this case, I'd highly recommend calling up restaurants that interest you and offer to intern for them.  while they prefer culinary students typically, if you have a few years as a short order cook, they will understand that you can handle the industry and know what you're getting into.  sure, it will be unpaid, but at least you wont have to front anything out of pocket like you would with school. 

they will have you prep cooking at first, unless you're VERY lucky.  still, even if they don't eventually have an opening, the fine dining world is surprisingly small (even in NYC) - all the higher ups will have worked at several kitchens and will know a ton of people, and will be able to find you a place to work once youve proven yourself. 

Quote:
Don't wanna be a downer here.. but, if your diet permits that, it's not a very good diet.

I'm working to get a place in a real kitchen as a prep cook or anything else right now guys. I'm currently a lunch lady (lol). Any advice on getting into a real kitchen? I want to work for a while in a kitchen before I commit to culinary school. Plus, everyone has told me that culinary school is a light enough of a load that I can work while going to school anyways.

Apologies if you are all strictly home cooks :) With some of the stuff you guys make, you should be working for restaurants!

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,934 of 3,876
Leftovers for brunch:

a bowl of potato salad covered in paprika;
a soft-boiled egg with toast soldiers;
a blob of habanero hot sauce; and
tomato beef brisket.

Now, what's for dinner?

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,935 of 3,876

Some healthy meal preps from the summer:
Thai Shrimp & Fish

White Asparagus Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
White asparagus tends to be tougher and more fibrous than green asparagus. While customarily it is peeled, trimming and discarding the bottom third of the stalk is usually sufficient and a whole lot easier. Lacking chlorophyll, it has a milder flavour than its green counterpart, allowing a nutty vinaigrette flavoured with ample fresh tarragon to shine.

VINAIGRETTE
¼ cup (60 mL) grape seed oil
3 tbsp (45 mL) walnut oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped tarragon
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 lbs (1 kg) white asparagus
3 thin slices speck or prosciutto, sliced into ½-inch (1-cm) strips
3 small soft-boiled eggs, peeled

1. Combine grape seed and walnut oils in a measuring cup equipped with a spout. In a small mixing bowl whisk together vinegar, Dijon and salt. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly until fully combined. Stir in tarragon and shallot. Set aside.

2. Trim tough ends from asparagus. (If asparagus stems are large, stalks may be cut in half along length.) Place a large steamer basket over a large saucepan of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 7 minutes or until spears are tender. Divide asparagus between plates, spoon over dressing, and sprinkle with ham. Slice eggs in half and place one on each serving. Serve warm.

Serves 6 LCBO Food & Drink

Heirloom Tomato Caper Salad
What could be more natural than pairing juicy baby tomatoes with salty capers, then brightening up with tangy-sweet balsamic. Handfuls of forest green arugula, tossed in at the last minute, round out the flavor profile with a burst of peppery taste.

3 cups (750 mL) heirloom cherry tomatoes, preferably a mix of colors
3 thin slices of red onion
2 tbsp (30 mL) drained capers
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) white balsamic vinegar
½ tsp (2 mL) sugar
Generous pinches of salt
3 cups (750 mL) arugula
¼ cup (60 mL) shredded fresh mint or basil leaves or a mix

1. Halve, quarter or roughly slice tomatoes. Place in a bowl. Cut onion slices into quarters, then separate pieces. Add to tomatoes along with capers, oil, vinegar, sugar and salt. Gently toss to coat. Taste and add more sugar or salt if needed. Serve right away or leave at room temperature up to 4 hours. It may water out a little as it sits.

2. Just before serving, stir in the arugula and mint.

Serves 4 LCBO Food & Drink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back