how many of you guys cook???
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,951 of 3,876
Here! Admiring your foods as usual. :D

Still haven't gotten a camera better than the iPod's.

Been on a sliced pork kick lately and just picked up a five pound beef tenderloin.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,952 of 3,876
Quote:
Where is everybody?

I'm on a self imposed baking break after making like six batches of cookies and a few pies/tarts to share with family and friends for the holidays, and I haven't cooked anything worth photographing. 

Then again, I'll only pull out the DSLR for baked goods since they are easier to take a picture of. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,953 of 3,876
Quote:
and just picked up a five pound beef tenderloin.

Had to get it home safely!

biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,954 of 3,876

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

^ Some people will do anything to drive in the car-share lane 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,960 of 3,876
Quote:

Not to be profane, but I thought that was a severed horse penis on first glance. Glad to see that I was wrong.

So am I.

Quote:

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

^ Some people will do anything to drive in the car-share lane 
tongue.gif

That's bizarre. When I quoted that long string of stuff above, the editor turned it into a row of Union Jacks. I'm sure it was supposed to, and I'm sure somebody was intended to quote this, wondering what it was all about, and then see what it turned into. Oddly enough, though, it doesn't show up in the preview (and presumably it won't show up when I post it).

So, whatever. That's all well and good. But I don't get the joke. It must touch on something cultural that we don't have on this side of the pond.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #1,961 of 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>
So, whatever. That's all well and good. But I don't get the joke. It must touch on something cultural that we don't have on this side of the pond.

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-occupancy_vehicle_lane

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,962 of 3,876
Okay, now I get it. I guess that's a sign it might be time to go to bed, since that should have been obvious to me from the start. I was thinking it was in reference to that weird text that keeps showing up. With Preferences and all the numbers and symbols. What's going on with that?

Slightly more on topic, anybody here cook with bitter melon? My father uses it for its health benefits. So far he just uses it in omelettes, though. I tried a bit raw and it was terrible--like the bitter flavor of some green vegetables, only singled out and an order of magnitude stronger. Clearly it has to be cooked and mixed in with something to make it palatable.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,963 of 3,876
Quote:
Okay, now I get it. I guess that's a sign it might be time to go to bed, since that should have been obvious to me from the start. I was thinking it was in reference to that weird text that keeps showing up. With Preferences and all the numbers and symbols. What's going on with that?

Slightly more on topic, anybody here cook with bitter melon? My father uses it for its health benefits. So far he just uses it in omelettes, though. I tried a bit raw and it was terrible--like the bitter flavor of some green vegetables, only singled out and an order of magnitude stronger. Clearly it has to be cooked and mixed in with something to make it palatable.

Usual Chinese method for cooking bitter melon is to stir fry/braise it with a black bean sauce.  If you're looking to reduce the bitterness, you can chop it up into desired shape, then sprinkle a good amount of salt on it to draw out some of the bitter juice letting that sit in a colander, then rinse off the salt.  Though the bitter juices is probably where much of the nutrients are. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,964 of 3,876
Quote:

Usual Chinese method for cooking bitter melon is to stir fry/braise it with a black bean sauce.  If you're looking to reduce the bitterness, you can chop it up into desired shape, then sprinkle a good amount of salt on it to draw out some of the bitter juice letting that sit in a colander, then rinse off the salt.  Though the bitter juices is probably where much of the nutrients are. 

Or boil it in water for a 30 seconds to draw out the bitter taste.  I love stir fry bitter melon, chicken, with black bean sauce.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,965 of 3,876
Where is everybody?Two different dishes from the same salmon.

Nice meals everyone!

Here's an quick and dirty salmon recipe I am doing for lunch,gotta like it when whole Atlantic Salmon Fillets go on sale.
Just under 2 pounds,skin on was $11.12,the salmon stays really moist with the bacon,lunch was excellent.

Ingredients:
4 (4 ounce) skin-on salmon fillets
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste
side bacon strips, cut in half

Directions:
1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet liberally with olive oil.
2. Place the salmon fillets onto the baking sheet skin-side-down. Sprinkle the fillets with garlic powder, dill, salt, and pepper. Lay the bacon strips over the fillets to cover completely,don't overlap.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until the salmon is no longer translucent in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the oven on to broil and cook until the bacon has crisped, 1 to 2 minutes.

I chose to slice up a red onion for a bed,surrounded with sliced tomatoes to roast along with the fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back