how many of you guys cook???
Mar 22, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3,136 of 3,876
Yes I do.  The guy at the corner beer store has a little trailer and I get his lamb gyro with a nice slather of his homemade tzatsuzuki sauce.  He tends to go heavy on oregano sprinkles though, which completely changes everything, but they're good.  I could say no thanks to the oregano, but it's good.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,137 of 3,876
The new oven seems to hold its temperature pretty well, although the dial isn't all that accurate. So I bought an oven thermometer to get a more accurate reading on what it is actually doing.

The markings on the dial start at 75 degrees (Centigrade), but there's about quarter of the dial unmarked below that. The thermometer helped at this point.

Sooooo... I sous-vided tonight, with a big casserole pan of water which I left to achieve 55 degrees centigrade. Part-smoked salmon fillets, with butter, tarragon and chives. Cooked for about 50 minutes and served with mashed potatoes and steamed runner beans. A success!

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,139 of 3,876
More semi-sous-vide experimenting tonight. No 0.5 degree water temperature regulator, just an infrared thermometer for quick readings and the closest I can get to true vacuum by sucking the air out of the bag with a straw.

Still, you can get a good idea of the potential results by bodging it this way, before you decide whether to lay out hard-earned money on the proper equipment.

So, a venison steak (a little underseasoned, in hindsight), given about an hour at about 55 degrees Centigrade? Tender as fillet beef steak, with all the juices locked in.

Off to London's Borough Market tomorrow, to see if they have pigeon or hare. Sous-vide could take all the trepidation out of cooking game.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,141 of 3,876
  Pictures Paljoey!

No pics.

Reason 1: my camera is terrible, especially on food. A dish of Mushrooms Shalyapin Style looked droolsome, but the photo looked like puke.

Reason 2: the venison disappeared down my throat in a matter of seconds. I could give you the 'after' photo some time tomorrow, but you wouldn't thank me.

Served with roasted sweet potato wedges and runner beans, by the way.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,145 of 3,876
My ramen egg failed. It turned out too soft so I dressed it with black pepper and chili oil.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,146 of 3,876
  My ramen egg failed. It turned out too soft so I dressed it with black pepper and chili oil.

Your chili oil looks familiar...and Calabrian!!
Are you ready to feast tonight?
I think we ordered a stuffed chicken:

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,150 of 3,876

Maybe. But soft cooked eggs with pepper and chili oil sounds, and looks, awesome :tongue_smile:

I've never had rice stuffed chicken but that looks crispy and delicious too.

My friend and I made two kinds of ramen for lunch last week: salt ramen and soy sauce ramen. But I had bought some local pork, and it smelled so bad when it thawed that I had to throw it out. So I ended up making cha siu chicken breast instead :xf_eek: . But it actually tasted very good as a substitute for the real thing. And the only ramen noodles I could find were not what I am used to - straight instead of wavy - but they tasted okay.

The next evening we made laksa. (For which the egg is usually more hard boiled.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back