how many of you guys cook???
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,110 of 3,876
  "Snowy, Sunday Night, Feel Like Cooking" Paella from a couple of weeks ago with chicken, sausage, lobster and shrimp:

-Mike

That looks fantastic! I think one of the best Paella I've had was from this place, or maybe it was because I was on vacation mode lol.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #3,112 of 3,876
Love the colours on that paella. I've never tried cataplana, but it looks very appealing with heaps of molluscs in it.

I went to a friend's place yesterday and learned how to make okonomiyaki.

Oisii stuff.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,115 of 3,876
Love the colours on that paella. I've never tried cataplana, but it looks very appealing with heaps of molluscs in it.

I went to a friend's place yesterday and learned how to make okonomiyaki.

Oisii stuff.

Thank you!

That okonomiyaki looks excellent... reminds me of Korean seafood pancakes (haemul pajeon).  

-Mike

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #3,116 of 3,876

That looks fantastic! I think one of the best Paella I've had was from this place, or maybe it was because I was on vacation mode lol.

Thanks!  I love little un-assuming places like that.

Not related to paella, but there's a hole-in-the-wall Italian place near me that is pretty amazing. One-person operation, the chef/owner is from Tuscany and does everything for the most part. He's got a person to help serve/clean up some nights, but that's it. He doesn't even have menus. He comes to the table and talks with you about what he has that day, talks to you about what you like, and the meal evolves from there. I've been going there for over 10 years now and I never actually order anything. I just tell him to make me whatever he feels like making, and I've never had a bad meal. Online reviews of the place are mixed, usually because people go in expecting Olive Garden and don't give him a chance to do what he does best.

A few years ago I was in there and talked with him about Italian Culatello (similar to Prosciutto, http://italianfood.about.com/od/italianmeatrecipes/ig/Salumi--Italian-Cold-Cuts/Culatello.htm) and mentioned that the only place in the US I could find at the time to buy any was a small shop out on the West coast and had ordered one. He gave me a lecture about how I should know to talk to him first, and told me _he_ would cure a Culatello ham if I wanted to try it. A bit over a year later, I was there for dinner and out came an appetizer plate with the ham he had cured for me.

Driving by the place you'd think it was a little pizza joint and nothing special at all.

-Mike

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #3,118 of 3,876

Not related to paella, but there's a hole-in-the-wall Italian place near me that is pretty amazing. One-person operation, the chef/owner is from Tuscany and does everything for the most part. He's got a person to help serve/clean up some nights, but that's it. He doesn't even have menus. He comes to the table and talks with you about what he has that day, talks to you about what you like, and the meal evolves from there. I've been going there for over 10 years now and I never actually order anything. I just tell him to make me whatever he feels like making, and I've never had a bad meal. Online reviews of the place are mixed, usually because people go in expecting Olive Garden and don't give him a chance to do what he does best.

A few years ago I was in there and talked with him about Italian Culatello (similar to Prosciutto, http://italianfood.about.com/od/italianmeatrecipes/ig/Salumi--Italian-Cold-Cuts/Culatello.htm) and mentioned that the only place in the US I could find at the time to buy any was a small shop out on the West coast and had ordered one. He gave me a lecture about how I should know to talk to him first, and told me _he_ would cure a Culatello ham if I wanted to try it. A bit over a year later, I was there for dinner and out came an appetizer plate with the ham he had cured for me.

Driving by the place you'd think it was a little pizza joint and nothing special at all.

-Mike

Beautiful story - people and places like that are to be treasured.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,119 of 3,876

-Mike

Do you mind PM the location of this place? I live on 93/95 area and make to RI faster you finish your coffee.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,120 of 3,876
Momofuku shrimp and grits with a hint of Sriracha sauce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back