how many of you guys cook???
Feb 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,092 of 3,876
I 'm actually a good cook. Did it professionally for awhile. Then I married and she has no idea. I let her do all the cooking. Being paid to cook wore me out. That was years ago but since my Wife is an amazing cook (most of the time) I keep my past to myself. A woman lives for the kitchen. JK...no I'm not...

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,094 of 3,876
How I enjoy tenderloin (because I usually sear Porterhouse for parties, then we split it - boys get rare striploin, girls get medium rare tenderloin).

Step I : Toast the fat I trimmed off the striploin I had the night before in herb-infused palm oil, along with some garlic cloves; strain oil from toasted fat

Step II : Season the filet (tenderloin) steaks with a coffee BBQ rub, a bit more black pepper, and some pink salt; then sear in the same oil

Step III : Rest, plate, top with the toasted fats, get a beer, and eat in front of the TV. Put the camera down and use hands; use a pocket knife if clean instead of a chef's knife (just like Special Agent Gibbs does with ribeye).

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #3,095 of 3,876
Coffee and spice rubbed brisket with hasselback potatoes (green vegetables to be decided upon later in the day). The smell from the meat is already exciting! I'm doing it in the slow cooker, inside a roasting bag, so we'll see how that goes.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,097 of 3,876
  Coffee and spice rubbed brisket with hasselback potatoes (green vegetables to be decided upon later in the day). The smell from the meat is already exciting! I'm doing it in the slow cooker, inside a roasting bag, so we'll see how that goes.

Okay, for a first effort, that was damn tasty! Another recipe to develop with further experiment.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3,098 of 3,876

Nice looking beef ProtegeMan!

I'll put it this way: when I was in the 5th Grade we flew back home from HK and we crossed paths with Ms. Universe Sushmita Sen at the airport in Manila. I went nuts over her and so did my Dad - my Mom calmed us down with "she can't eat steak." I'm one to argue that, if "we are what we eat," then the cow eating grass, leaves, and corn means steak is technically a salad.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,099 of 3,876
beerchug.gif

That's pretty funny.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,100 of 3,876

beerchug.gif

That's pretty funny.

I just remembered that my Mom wasn't the last to use that same steak tactic. My ex opened my computer and Sushmita Sen was all over one browser window, and she said, "why?! she can't eat steak, nor burgers." I was 22 at the time and I casually blurted out, "well her religion doesn't say anything against me eating her, unless either of us is married...maybe I'll brush my teeth if I just ate steak." A few seconds of silence later I noticed the murderous glare and realized I was screwed for the next few days. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,101 of 3,876
Last night's dinner of a hamburger on brioche bun.

This afternoon's lunch of Chinese velvet corn soup with chicken.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,104 of 3,876
Crispy shredded beef tonight.

But I didn't want to cut the beef too small, and it ended up much larger pieces than I intended. Not so much shredded as chopped.
redface.gif

That looks delicious! We do that with tougher beef ribs - local beef costs about 30% less than Aussie beef here and half the price of Angus (including local stock, which are too small anyway - most of those end up in restaurants). My aunt braises them for a couple of hours, then marinades them in soy sauce and lime juice (when I do my own I add curry and hot sauce). They're deep fried the next day, then served with cane vinegar (with onions and garlic floating around in the bottle; I add chili peppers, cut in half).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back