how many of you guys cook???
Apr 4, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #286 of 3,876
Yours is more rare, and looks like a much nicer grade/quality of meat; mine isn't marbled at all
frown.gif
. What is your marinade? I usually just go with Worcestershire>Montreal steak seasoning+extra black pepper>dried Italian herbs, one night before. These steaks were "ungraded", five for around $17 in a high-priced remote region, probably more like $2 steaks in a family pack normally. Yours looks more like Angus, or perhaps the local butcher, grass-fed even? Sometimes I get Angus when I go into "the city", but all these headphones can cut into one's budget! Anyhow I cook five at a time, then eat the one that is the most well-done; I can definitely handle mine a little more rare like yours. The leftovers go into carne asada soft tacos, and/or perhaps sliced on top of a nice salad. Nothing like a good steak sandwich as well, love those family packs! The dogs like it when I cook steak too
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #287 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yours is more rare, and looks like a much nicer grade/quality of meat; mine isn't marbled at all
frown.gif
. What is your marinade? I usually just go with Worcestershire>Montreal steak seasoning+extra black pepper>dried Italian herbs, one night before. These steaks were "ungraded", five for around $17 in a high-priced remote region, probably more like $2 steaks in a family pack normally. Yours looks more like Angus, or perhaps the local butcher, grass-fed even? Sometimes I get Angus when I go into "the city", but all these headphones can cut into one's budget! Anyhow I cook five at a time, then eat the one that is the most well-done; I can definitely handle mine a little more rare like yours. The leftovers go into carne asada soft tacos, and/or perhaps sliced on top of a nice salad. Nothing like a good steak sandwich as well, love those family packs! The dogs like it when I cook steak too
smile.gif

Costco.
redface.gif
It's quite a bit better beef than at my local Cub. They don't specify, but it's most similar to angus in texture and flavor. I get a 5# to 6# pack on boneless sirloins and the trim and butcher them into 5-6 OZ individual steaks (SWMBO likes here medium well
eek.gif
). Marinade is based on a prepared Lawry's steak marinade (
redface.gif
) that I had stocked up on and am now using up. I spike it with stron Japanese soy and a TBS of organic lemon juice. It's pretty tasty.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #288 of 3,876
Currently slow cooking a 1.3kg leg of organic mutton. Made 2cm cuts in the top and put a piece of rosemary, half a clove of garlic and a small strip of anchovy in each cut. Half hour at 230°C, then pour a glass of white wine over the joint. Then an hour and a half at 130°C and it's done. Cooked this before and the meat is so smooooth.
Would have cooked this early today but was layed up with a migraine.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #290 of 3,876
OP's Loaded Baked Potato Pizza.

4498072875_48904afd62_b.jpg

Whole wheat cracker crumb crust herbed with dried shallots and chives. Two minute crust pre-bake and then brush with EVOO. Half a cup of light sour cream with eight minced garlic cloves, chopped half white onion, 3/4C sliced baby bella mushrooms, half a cup of crumbled bacon. Three half-baked skin-on russets cubed and seasoned with EVOO and fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt. Two cups of shredded Wisconsin sharp cheddar. One cup plus of green onions for the last ten minutes. SWMBO went back for thirds.
eek.gif
Glass of cab. Very tasty.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #291 of 3,876
SANY0041.JPG

Leftovers from my first foray into the "New England Boiled Dinner" realm, combined with a traditional Jewish/Irish-American corned beef and cabbage dinner that was supposed to be for St. Patrick's Day but got delayed. I should have taken a shot of the original dinner, but the soup was even better anyways. Potatoes, carrots and parsnips in addition to the cabbage, with an onion/celery stock plus chopped celery tops for garnish. Pretty cool to boil everything in one pot, very traditional and easy to clean up!

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #293 of 3,876
WOW! There as a thread like this? I love food. I think I love food more than almost anything out there.

I love to cook and my roommate is a pastry chef, so I need to post some stuff. I wonder if I can get to make chocolate bacon bonbons and he and I can whip up some other cool things.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #294 of 3,876
Tonight's Pizza was inspired by my pal Grokit:

4519565064_d60cdcf46e_b.jpg

He suggested simplifying my usual pie, using traditional ingredients and substituting basil leaves for the spinach. So we have my herbed whole wheat cracker crust (I've been adding a TBS of EVOO for flavor and dough elasticity) with EVOO/minced garlic/chopped white onion/chicken andouille sausage/fire roasted tomatoes/fresh cracked black pepper/aged provolone/agiano/parmesian/romano under basil leaves and mozarella. It was great! Glass of pinot grigio. Thanks, Grokit!.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #295 of 3,876
OK that does it. I am gonna go make something to eat. I think it will be a peanut butter sandwich as my dog loves to eat the last bite. Seriously there is some good looking food on this post. That steak looks wonderful!

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #296 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK that does it. I am gonna go make something to eat. I think it will be a peanut butter sandwich as my dog loves to eat the last bite.

Believe me, I had the Spaniel Sisters attention while I was putting together that last pie. Such soulful and expressive browned-eyed looks! "Put your plate down on the floor, Pa. Put it down now!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #297 of 3,876
That looks great, Old Pa; I just finished the last of my soup and now I want me somma that pizza!

I need to go plant some basil now... you ever make a simple margherita pizza?

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #299 of 3,876
My girlfriend snapped a few shots of my creation, since my hands were garlicky/gingery. Paneer masala with cauliflower and red pepper. Rice not pictured.
smily_headphones1.gif

2w3pe6t.jpg

9tms0h.jpg

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #300 of 3,876
present
i cook sicilian food, italian food and portuguese food.
pizze, pasta, mediterranean and atlantic fish.
obviously accompanied by good wine
beerchug.gif

buon appetito
aldo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back