how many of you guys cook???
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #301 of 3,876
Last night, with the return of warmer temps, we continued our return to lighter fare with Chicken Broccoli Stir-Fry:

4522601681_7b3efeb260_b.jpg

Cubed and marinated a couple of very nice SLBL chicken breastes in EVOO/S&P/high-octane soy/minced garlic/lemon juice/vintage balsamic vinegar warm-and-cold for several hours. Wokked up a chopped quarter white onion in some smokin' hot sunflower oil (instant carmelization) before the room temp cubed chicken and marinade went in. At this point, things start to happen fast in a stir-fry.
eek.gif
Two cups of small broccoli florets went in when the chicken was good and seared and then a couple ounces of plum sauce at the end to finish. Served over seasoned basmati rice with a glass of pinot grigio. SWMBO sez I can make this again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #302 of 3,876
Old Pa- I've noticed that a lot of the stuff you cook has brown and dark greenish colors. I understand that a lot of types of veggies and meats and whatnot are these colors, but I just felt like it needed to be mentioned...
popcorn.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #303 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa- I've noticed that a lot of the stuff you cook has brown and dark greenish colors. I understand that a lot of types of veggies and meats and whatnot are these colors, but I just felt like it needed to be mentioned...
popcorn.gif

Those colors, and the other colors of my prepared foods, are the colors of succulence and deliciousness. I'm surprised that a bright guy like you didn't know that.
popcorn.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #304 of 3,876
Old Pa, you are the Master of Marinades!

The dark green broccoli in the stir-fry could be remedied with a light blanching in salted water first, makes the green stay much brighter and more vibrant looking, as well as tenderizing the broccoli a bit (don't overdo it!). Its only aesthetics, but looks, along with aroma, really influence how things taste IME. Along those same lines, tossing in a bit of grated carrots right after you turn the heat off can really brighten things up as well, and add variety to the texture
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #305 of 3,876
The broc looked bright green and fine until SWMBO was late for the time she promised to be home for dinner and everything had to be re-heated.
mad.gif
There were no carrots available. Dinner was still great.
biggrin.gif

[rant] I am not running a commercial kitchen behind a restaurant. I have no staff or help. I do not have the luxury of having my diners already at the table drinking exponentially overpriced beverages (which I profit obscenely from) before I start to cook. We do not get daily/weekly deliveries from our produce/meat/beverage/etc. vendors. I am running a home kitchen for two people. And if anything "kitchen" gets done around here, it's because I did it. And that's on top of running a law office, a house and a yard (we also do not have a yard service for our acre, no snow removal service, and no house cleaning service, no laundry service, etc.; very old fashioned), and whatever else needs doing.[/rant]

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #306 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those colors, and the other colors of my prepared foods, are the colors of succulence and deliciousness. I'm surprised that a bright guy like you didn't know that.
popcorn.gif

Haha yes, I actually made the connection between darker colors and a very hearty meal. But still, I'd like to see more blues and reds in your meals, perhaps even some orange and pink colors. The next time you post a picture of your dinner, I want to see a full spectrum of colors. Back to the kitchen!
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #307 of 3,876
Quote:

The broc looked bright green and fine until SWMBO was late for the time she promised to be home for dinner and everything had to be re-heated.
mad.gif
There were no carrots available. Dinner was still great.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure it was, no reason to get "defensive", counselor!

I'm making note of your marinades, and merely suggesting that blanching in salt water helps keep the "fresh" look well into leftoverland with all green veggies; use a bit of acid (lemon or vinegar) in the water for red & yellow veggies to same effect, old trick. I'm sure that "whatever else needs doing" could include boiling a pot of water! Look at all the attention you've paid to the meat; the vegetables are merely crying out for equal treatment, or if not a bit more respect then.

Quote:

Haha yes, I actually made the connection between darker colors and a very hearty meal. But still, I'd like to see more blues and reds in your meals, perhaps even some orange and pink colors. The next time you post a picture of your dinner, I want to see a full spectrum of colors. Back to the kitchen!
beerchug.gif

Blue is a tough one, not too many blue foods aside from blueberries!

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #308 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue is a tough one, not too many blue foods aside from blueberries!

Which are in fact dark red/purple.
wink.gif

Quote:

[rant] [/rant]

I really hope you aren't taking offense of any comments towards your food. All that most of us 'professionals' are doing is giving suggestions for improvement, not in any way criticizing.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #310 of 3,876
Quote:

Back to the kitchen!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it was, no reason to get "defensive", counselor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really hope you aren't taking offense of any comments towards your food. All that most of us 'professionals' are doing is giving suggestions for improvement, not in any way criticizing.

Maybe you guys should start your own thread on "Your Cooking Questions Answered by the Professionals". I'll be sure to post into it whenever I have any questions for you.
popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #312 of 3,876
Quote:

Maybe you guys should start your own thread on "Your Cooking Questions Answered by the Professionals". I'll be sure to post into it whenever I have any questions for you.
popcorn.gif

And I thought this thread could be an exchange of knowledge, as nobody knows everything. Silly me...
tongue.gif

Begs the question, though: what is the purpose of this thread, just to post your own stuff and never offer any suggestions or critiques to others?

Perhaps we need some "rules" to follow!

I for one welcome helpful criticism, from anyone at any time. It really doesn't affect my ego (or my Eggos):

423082205_2800d88a3f.jpg

biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #313 of 3,876
I usually cook twice a week. The rest of the days I eat out or just have something simple, as some bread at home.
Today I had chicken breasts, jasmine rice and béarnaise sauce. With a cold beer to go...

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #314 of 3,876
three scrambled eggs (low, low heat!) with a fistful of shredded asiago and some truffled salt, along with a sliced fresh avocado from the back yard... and some salsa. there's color for you! white/yellow/light brown, red/yellow/white, and green :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back