how many of you guys cook???
May 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,776 of 3,876
  Yes, except you can "London Broil" any tough cut - mostly from the round, which includes the flank steak.
If one buys meat labelled "London Broil" it won't necessarily be flank.

I found this:
"London Broil" is a technique for cooking cheaper beef cuts, and has been used on a variety of different fabrications.
London Broil" when sold as a cut of beef is a roast cut from the top round, which is a sub primal of the round.
We use the term as both a way to cook, and a particular cut of meat. Makes for lots of confusion.

May 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,779 of 3,876
parbaked and I just had lunch.
Okay, one bowl was uneaten and taken to go.

May 26, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,782 of 3,876
  Waraku in SF. That's Tonkotsu, Tan Tan and a Tsukemen (dipping) ramen in the picture.

I got to try all but Tsukemen. I may have to return next weekend to try it again. We also had an appetizer as well. Deep fried Gigantic Sea Creature with Tentacles all over it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,783 of 3,876
  parbaked and I just had lunch.
Okay, one bowl was uneaten and taken to go.

Yumm curry, and I also made Curry for my self tonight! 

the cooking method most likely isn't right, this took about an hour, medium low heat, I did oil first, chicken theighs, then onions, then garlic, my two soy sauces [I use golden moutain throughout the whole process, maybe a total of about 12 or so ounces, same with dark Soy, I add it to taste, add my shrooms, then some siracha, then my green peppers, by this time I've got my lime zest and ginger grated and ready to go in a lil bowl, juice my first lime, add the green peppers, lumps o dark brown sugar cook it all a little, by this point the oils from the theighs and water from the veggies [plus the soy sauce] have made a light sauce, I add my lime zest n ginger, juice of second lime, I start copping my hot peppers, 5 mins later I toss em in, cook for about another 5, then add in my cocnut milk and more sugar

and 20  mins later [cover with a lid] it's slighty reduced and I garnish with fresh cilantro 

best part is, it's better after 8 hours in the fridge, as everything mellows together, it also gets hotter over night 

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #2,784 of 3,876
I've recently tried a Malaysian sauce called kicap manis, which is very tasty. It is soy-based with that familiar savoury taste, but also thicker, richer and sweeter than soy sauce. I've seen it in more than one UK supermarket - I got mine from Sainsbury - so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,785 of 3,876
  I've recently tried a Malaysian sauce called kicap manis, which is very tasty. It is soy-based with that familiar savoury taste, but also thicker, richer and sweeter than soy sauce. I've seen it in more than one UK supermarket - I got mine from Sainsbury - so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Oh there's a store that sells the Dark Soy I like, thankfully there's a few of them

but what you have sounds like what I cook with, dark thicker sauce with a molassy sweet note in addition to the traditional soy flavor, differentl cultures call it something different I'm sure 

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,786 of 3,876
  Oh there's a store that sells the Dark Soy I like, thankfully there's a few of them

but what you have sounds like what I cook with, dark thicker sauce with a molassy sweet note in addition to the traditional soy flavor, differentl cultures call it something different I'm sure

I think what you cook with is what I'm talking about, from your description. It can also be used to add a bit of depth to an unexpectedly disappointing noodle or rice dish.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,787 of 3,876

I think what you cook with is what I'm talking about, from your description. It can also be used to add a bit of depth to an unexpectedly disappointing noodle or rice dish.

yea I also like it with noodles 

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,788 of 3,876
Looks like i'll be making curry this weekend 
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,789 of 3,876
Jun 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,790 of 3,876
I use Golden Mountain Dark Soy and other products by them as well. I, too, love dark soy for its great depth of flavor. I sometimes add a dash of oyster sauce as the secret ingredient. Not enough to tell what it is but just enough to make a difference. Hey, did you know that Worcestershire Sauce has anchovies in it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back