how many of you guys cook???
May 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,761 of 3,876
  Vichyssoise with sous-vide poached shrimp.
Sous-vide filet mignon with cauliflower in Cambozola cheese sauce and roasted garlic and sage brown butter.

Nice wine...I showed M and she wants to open a bottle...
biggrin.gif

I just ate and now I am hungry again.

May 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,764 of 3,876
^ Yes! Yes! Yes! I so want to make this dish again. Thanks for the inspiration--again. :)

May 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #2,765 of 3,876
  Vichyssoise with sous-vide poached shrimp.
Sous-vide filet mignon with cauliflower in Cambozola cheese sauce and roasted garlic and sage brown butter.

Clayton, what'd you sous-vide the filets to?  110F, then sear, then carry over rest 10 mins to rare?

What's your take on at home, in-fridge dry aging?  I've done it a few times, can't quite say it produced a tangible boost in flavor, particularly given post-cook salts / mounts / sauces.  I'm a butter / shallot / whiskey flambe / heavy cream / cracked pepper sauce fan myself.

I pair that richness with bitter greens & citrus acid -- shaved brussels, fennel, frisee with tart eureka lemon oil and fleur del sel. 

May 26, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #2,767 of 3,876

Clayton, what'd you sous-vide the filets to?  110F, then sear, then carry over rest 10 mins to rare?

What's your take on at home, in-fridge dry aging?  I've done it a few times, can't quite say it produced a tangible boost in flavor, particularly given post-cook salts / mounts / sauces.  I'm a butter / shallot / whiskey flambe / heavy cream / cracked pepper sauce fan myself.

I pair that richness with bitter greens & citrus acid -- shaved brussels, fennel, frisee with tart eureka lemon oil and fleur del sel. 

sous vide filet? probably at 130F. then quick 1 min. sear on each side, giving medium rare...

May 26, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,768 of 3,876
  sous vide filet? probably at 130F. then quick 1 min. sear on each side, giving medium rare...

That is correct. 130F. Although I this time I cooked my steaks at 135F (medium) with a 1 min. sear on each side. It was also excellent. I like my steaks served with a green peppercorn sauce.

By the way, has anyone successfully cooked sous vide, meat labeled London Broil? Or any other way? (Some say it's a method; some say it's a cut. This particular meat is advertised as London Broil.)

May 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,769 of 3,876
Clay oven-baked yogurt chicken and cucumber raita.

May 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,770 of 3,876

Which means it's time for Là Zǐ Jī and my annual contribution to the thread.

This is done right! They key is using the chopped wings. You cannot get the meat off the bone without total chili saturation!
  ^ Yes! Yes! Yes! I so want to make this dish again. Thanks for the inspiration--again. :)

Clayton...let's do this!

May 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,772 of 3,876
  This is done right! They key is using the chopped wings. You cannot get the meat off the bone without total chili saturation!
Clayton...let's do this!

Yes. When? We need to go shopping.

May 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,773 of 3,876
Isn't a London Broil a flank steak, that's broiled after having been marinated for a loooong time?  Cut thin, but still tough cause it's a flank steak.

May 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,775 of 3,876
  Isn't a London Broil a flank steak, that's broiled after having been marinated for a loooong time?  Cut thin, but still tough cause it's a flank steak.

Yes, except you can "London Broil" any tough cut - mostly from the round, which includes the flank steak.
If one buys meat labelled "London Broil" it won't necessarily be flank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back