How many heaphones do you have? And why?
Jun 25, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 122
1 open 1 closed 1 iem.

I may change the closed one to another open because seriously most of the top end closed headphones are pretty much open (islolate sound in and out very little)

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers, like headphones, are not all created equal. I've heard some atrocious-sounding speakers for over $100 (they were 5.1 as well).

There are some pretty atrocious sounding speakers over $1,000, too.
wink.gif

If you're willing to do a little cabinet building, you can have fantastic speakers for under $100.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #33 of 122
Just did a count and even I am hard pressed to justify let alone explain why I have (including IEM's) 16 sets of headphones - most accumulated in past 9 months I've been on Head-Fi - damn, this URL is worse than a gambling addiction - and it feels so good.
devil_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #34 of 122
I have few:

Sennheiser CX500 for my iPhone at work.
Sennheiser HD202 -> HD595 -> HD650 (upgrade & keeping the old one
smile_phones.gif
) at home.
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 for travelling (I'm a regular traveller around the world
darthsmile.gif
)

No new headphone for the next 12 months
smile_phones.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #36 of 122
IE8 for travel, on the go etc.
SA5000 for general use.

two all up
wink.gif
Maybe i can add the HD800 to the list one day!

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #37 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some pretty atrocious sounding speakers over $1,000, too.
wink.gif

If you're willing to do a little cabinet building, you can have fantastic speakers for under $100.

How to do cabinet building? The 5.1 speakers I was talking about were pc, not stereo system speakers, btw.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #38 of 122
My name is David and I'm a headphone junkie. But i SWEAR I've been trying to cut down already! I already went from 11 pairs of headphones/earphones down to 5.... although technically that should be 7 as I'm waiting on a pair of HF2 as well as an ER4P.....

My reason? I need stuff for home use (critical + casual listening) as well for portable use (critial + casual as well). Portable is the one that's keeping my numbers up... I want to have stuff that i can use w/ amps and things that can be driven adequately without one. But if things start dubling up ie KSC35 and PX100 serves a similar purpose then I get rid of one of them (in this case the PX100).

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #39 of 122
I currently only have 5. (1 more incoming)

Sold my K701, RS-1, after I realized that I really liked the Senn house sound. The RS-1 was fatiguing and the K701 didn't sound right for some of the music that I listen to.

Kept the HD650, acquired a HD600 and HD25-1 II. I still have the er4s which I want to sell because of non-usage, and I have the baby stax. My girlfriend got my porta pro.

So that really leaves me with the Senns and the Stax. This is my journey so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #40 of 122
I have 3 headphones right now, 2 AT's, I mainly bough the A950's because people said they were a better version of the A900's and I love my A900's, and this way my girlfriend and I can listen to the same house sound at the same time via a splitter from my amp; also I'm a sucker for anything limited edition.. heh. ... really it's a curse.

I got the Grado SR-80i to try out the Grado sound, didn't wanna go for the lowest in case I ended up liking the sound, and I do love it, so I'll probably swap these out for a higher end set.

I'm eyeing some Beyer's and some Senn's in the future though, and an AT open headphone, just wanna try out all the sounds, I only intend on keeping what I like of course, no reason to have a ton of the same around, especially if I'm not using them all that often.

My A900's have a ton of hours on them, I've used them for 3 straight years on my computers and on vacations, and they're like a tank, they're holding up beautifully, no blemishes, no scratches, no wear in the ring, and no wear on the head-rests, it's just amazing, so of course I'm going to stick with AT if they hold up this well and I continue to be a fan of the sound with my music.

So yeah, my GF is hoping to get a pair of headphones like mine, she's almost convinced we should get some Manufaktur Beyer DT770's or 880's, 250ohm, I'm not sure I have the equipment for the 600ohm versions, plus people say Beyer's love tube amps, and I'm not sure I have the money for the amp as well...

I don't really count the portables because they're just supposed to be good enough to get me through waiting places in lines or w/e, I'm not going to be critically listening to my music in line at Jamba/BofA/etc..

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #42 of 122
Yuin PK1 for portable listening, Alessandro MS1000 for home. But as of right now the PK1 is getting a lot more love than the grattling MS1000.

I also have a pair of Bose QC2 and Shure E2c on loan to my friends. A pair of Koss KTXPRO1 sitting in my shoebox, Grado HF2 coming in in a couple of weeks.. And lost a pair of ADDIEM and YUIN OK2..

I am looking to buy a pair of Etymotics ER4P and an entry level custom monitor. After that, I'm pretty much done. Maybe treat myself to an AKG K1000 when possible.

Still a long way to go, I have yet to explore the world of amplification and DAC.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #44 of 122
Currently own 4 full size headphones:
* AKG K1000 x2
* Stax SR-007BL
* Stax SR-404

One electrostatic and one moving-coil, plus a couple of backups...
The only one I may consider parting with is the SR-404. The 3 other ones are here to stay.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #45 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently own 4 full size headphones:
* AKG K1000 x2
* Stax SR-007BL
* Stax SR-404

One electrostatic and one moving-coil, plus a couple of backups...
The only one I may consider parting with is the SR-404. The 3 other ones are hear to stay.

^Isn't this guy supposed to be a legend on head fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back