How many headfiers here are enjoying music with AKG K701?
Oct 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #16 of 121
Sherwood I agree with you, If you prefer X to Y thats fine. Because Y is more expensive it doesn't mean it's better by default.
At times I prefer my EUR100 D1001 more than 10 times more expensive cans.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #17 of 121
I've been a head-fi lurker for a while now, and even then, I will entirely admit that this place has emptied my wallet. It started years ago, with Grado SR80s. I wanted something good, but I sure didn't want to spend as much money as it seemed like everyone was.. it seemed ludicrous! So the SR80 was at a price that was already "high end" to me. That headphone was always "cool" to me in my heart, but it was always a somewhat uncomfortable can. So I ended up putting it away.

Years later, on my 20th birthday after receiving money from friends and family, I'm at Guitar Center (and at this point I do realize I could have saved a lot of money had I gone elsewhere) and see Ultrasone Pro 650s and Beyerdynamic 880s, which I'd ALWAYS wanted due to this forum. With that said, I ended up opting for the 650s, mainly because in my mind I figured I was just going to return them after 30 days of hardcore trialing them and end up with the 880s afterwards regardless. However, something about the 650's sound signature was interesting to me and I needed more than that 30 days to evaluate it. So I kept them. And for a year, I wondered, how much different could these sound if I purchased an amp to power them? I ended up getting a HeadRoom Ultra Micro amp, which has been great for me. But I had a poor source CD player which had very visible noise while no music was playing. I wanted to get a DAC as well.. so I ended up covering both of those bases with a music hall cd25.2 player.

Where I'm going with all this is that, along with the Beyerdynamic 880s (which I still do not own.. yet ;p), I had wanted AKG 701s for so long. I loved everything I heard about it.. aside from how it "NEEDED" to be amped. Before I had the equipment I'm using now, I could never imagine picking up 701's since I felt I'd be missing out so much. With this equipment, however.. it felt like it was time to finally get the 701s I'd always lusted after. And though I only just received them earlier today, the sound I'm already getting out of it is nothing short of wonderful. I can't wait for the 9 million hours of burn in I need for it to reach its potential.
tongue.gif

But now that I have these, I'm lusting after Grado RS-1s to satiate the Grado need I instilled in myself with the SR80s, years ago, when Head-Fi struck my wallet.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 121
"The K-501 was superior in every way to the K-701"
Sounds like K701 has more bass than k501 even said by you in past posts.
I have heard neither I have K702. Why do you think The K701/2 is hated?
I see there is often an appreciation thread on the 1st page here. On the most hated headphone thread K701 took 1st place. I can not tell any glaring flaws and besides all headphones have flaws.

"By all means, do report back when you've been here longer than a month."
Sorry did I blowing up your spot to to trash the K701?
I did not just find Headfi

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #21 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid $60 for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT48s and prefer them to some far more expensive headphones.

Including the K-701, for that matter. Which is why the K-701 was sold.

If enjoyment is simply a function of price (or some implied "protectionism" based on what you spent) then how did that happen?

I also paid less than half the price of a K-701 for a K-501. The K-501 was superior in every way to the K-701.

Again, how did that happen? Shouldn't I have preferred the more expensive headphone?

And why don't I trash the K-501 and DT48 because they cost less than a K-701 yet sound better? I wouldn't want to rub people the wrong way by praising the DT48 and K-501 as cheaper, but better, alternatives to the K-701, would I?

lol, you just don't get it!

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #22 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, you just don't get it!

lol, you think your opinion holds more value than other people's opinions!

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, you think your opinion holds more value than other people's opinions!

Hehehe, try the 701/2 with the Zana Deux
eek.gif
and then try to switch to some Phonitor, or luxman.
k701smile.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #24 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehehe, try the 701/2 with the Zana Deux
eek.gif
and then try to switch to some Phonitor, or luxman.
k701smile.gif

Pretty sure I tried that first configuration on a rack two meets ago. It was a jazz recording, and the soundstage was unnaturally wide. So wide, that I felt that both ends were coming from opposite ends of a football field.

And a tenor sax that sounds so airy and light that it has no weight to it? No thanks.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 121
Seems like a weekly thread, doesnt it - why I love/hate/love to hate the K70*. I'm willing to bet that many of the high-end phones that have the 'serious' audiophiles raving wouldnt excite many who come to this forum looking for 'nirvana'. The GS1000 is an example of a headphone that has at least as many detractors as fans, yet it doesnt seem to raise the ire of as many people. I believe that there are a couple of reasons for this:

1. the K701 is priced within the reach of a lot more folk
2. many, like Uncle Erik, simply cant accept that this is AKGs signature headphone atm, citing both the K501 and K1000 as better headphones.
3. how many of us have the kit to really do justice to headphones like the K70*/GS1000 etc ?

I'm not claiming that those who dislike them dont have the kit or the ears to appreciate them, and I completely respect Uncle Eriks consistency in more K701 threads than I can count, but I cant understand why people buy them on reputation alone. Would you buy a BMW simply because it looked good on TV and you read somewhere that the model you could afford was a good thing ?

For me, the K70* and their ilk are simply too 'fussy' - do we want headphones that work with our kit and music, or do we want to buy kit/music to suit a given pair of headphones ? There is no wrong answer, and many here have extensive listings of highly desirable equipment, but it all comes back to the line we each draw in the sand and the K70* would push me over my line at this point in time.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #26 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure I tried that first configuration on a rack two meets ago. It was a jazz recording, and the soundstage was unnaturally wide. So wide, that I felt that both ends were coming from opposite ends of a football field.

Next time you can try the second configuration with the Phonitor, that can control the football field, that call mix / mastering and musical production.
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #28 of 121
The mentality needed to crash appreciation threads on the first page says something about the crashers. I will respect anyone's right to post and their opinion. Making an effort on every thread of a piece of gear you don't like to state your dislike is a bit obsessive.

Has anyone who likes the 70x gone into a Sen. or Grado or any of the dozens of appreciation threads and thread crapped them? If so, why?

PS

I enjoy my music with the 701s and RS-1s.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you enjoy too listening music with these highly praised headphones?

Nope! Not at all...

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #30 of 121
Funny you asked this question, as the 701's are on my head as I type (thru RKV MK II), and the sound quality is very nice. I was previously on an RS1 kick for about a month or so. Now, I'm getting my fill of the 701's. I agree that these require a tremendous amount of burn-in at louder than normal listening levels to bring them to life.

Truly wonderful cans (as are so many others).

'Dwebe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back