How many headfiers here are enjoying music with AKG K701?
Oct 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #31 of 121
Yep, I like them very much. In my system, I find them very revealing and they involve me in the music to a great degree. I have no complaints with them at all. I'm actually amazed that the haters keep harping on their agenda in these threads. I guess they just "need" to be perceived as expert or right. Or whatever. In any case, count me among the 701 fans.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #32 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry did I blowing up your spot to to trash the K701?
I did not just find Headfi

I owned and enjoyed K701s at one time, but i now share the opinion of many former owners that there is better sound to be had for less money. The K-601, K-501, and K-340 all sound better in most every way, to my ears.

I'm curious to hear your impressions after you've had a chance to own some of the other components which are often considered to be a better value.

Until then, it seems silly to act like you know something we don't.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #33 of 121
I do enjoy them. Granted, I don't have much of a system or much experience in critical/analytical listening.

I was also unaware that I was buying such a controversial pair of cans :S

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #34 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mentality needed to crash appreciation threads on the first page says something about the crashers. I will respect anyone's right to post and their opinion. Making an effort on every thread of a piece of gear you don't like to state your dislike is a bit obsessive.

Has anyone who likes the 70x gone into a Sen. or Grado or any of the dozens of appreciation threads and thread crapped them? If so, why?

PS

I enjoy my music with the 701s and RS-1s.

I also find this odd about Head-Fi, the need to trash a headphone in a headphone appreciation thread.

Also I noticed the K702 is listed on AKG's website as a studio headphone now, not a personal home headphone. I think that tells a lot about the headphones in the view of AKG and who they are trying to market to. I always felt AKG creates gear primarily for the studio and professionals than the home user. And I hope they continue to do so instead of trying to create headphones with outlandish descriptions to justify enormous prices. I like AKG's reputation and marketing, no frills.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #35 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure I tried that first configuration on a rack two meets ago. It was a jazz recording, and the soundstage was unnaturally wide. So wide, that I felt that both ends were coming from opposite ends of a football field.

And a tenor sax that sounds so airy and light that it has no weight to it? No thanks.
wink.gif

i think Acix is saying that the k701 doesn't match well with the Zana and it does much better out of a good solid state amp. I listened to a k701 out of a Zana at the last canjam and i would have to agree. for me the k701 sounds much better out of a powerful SS amp.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 121
The K702 was targeted for the studio professional. It still uses the 701 driver and cable. They made a working color (one that wears well) and a plug for travel. The 701 was designed for the audiophile.

I really have to hear the 5-601s if they are better than the 701s. I can't believe a company would make an inferior product to the retiring model in the lineup. But I also respect those that criticize the 701s with experience of the older models.

The K1000 is a different product so I won't address them as a comparison. They are a one of a kind product that has few (if any) direct competitors.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #38 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K702 was targeted for the studio professional. It still uses the 701 driver and cable. They made a working color (one that wears well) and a plug for travel. The 701 was designed for the audiophile.

I really have to hear the 5-601s if they are better than the 701s. I can't believe a company would make an inferior product to the retiring model in the lineup. But I also respect those that criticize the 701s with experience of the older models.

The K1000 is a different product so I won't address them as a comparison. They are a one of a kind product that has few (if any) direct competitors.

To my ears, K501 has less detail and bass but more mid than K701/2, I can see why others would prefer it, but not me.
On the other hand, K601 is clearly a step down from both K501 and K701.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #39 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, K501 has less detail and bass but more mid than K701/2, I can see why others would prefer it, but not me.
On the other hand, K601 is clearly a step down from both K501 and K701.

I'm still in the process of comparing k601's to the other two, but so far from initial impressions I'd have to agree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #40 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you enjoy too listening music with these highly praised headphones?

Yes, I do. I preferred my K701 to demoed GS1000i. Next week I'll compare them with HD800.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #41 of 121
people trashing appreciation threads are obviously doing it because they are fishing for reactions. They may do it in general but when they do it in appreciation threads and tend to exhaggerate like crazy it get quite obvious
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the K701 they don´t get on my head often but that is mainly because I have better headphones. They have flaws but not that big it makes them totally unlistenable far from it. I don´t have any cheaper headphones that sounds better anyway. But I have heard many more expensive headphones that are more musical for me.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #42 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have flaws but not that big it makes them totally unlistenable far from it.

That's the point I completely agree with. I think that it applies to other high- or middle-class headphones as well. People's reactions are sometimes so exaggerated..

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 121
What's controversial is not the headphones themselves, but rather their supporters and detractors. A handful of vocal, misguided fans can quickly generate a wave of backlash from both those in the know along with those who trash because they can.

Neither side is a monolith. Tread carefully.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think Acix is saying that the k701 doesn't match well with the Zana and it does much better out of a good solid state amp. I listened to a k701 out of a Zana at the last canjam and i would have to agree. for me the k701 sounds much better out of a powerful SS amp.

Thanks a lot for clarified this sad point... for me, for us, and for Uncle Erik.
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #45 of 121
I enjoy my 702s, but they are amp dependent. I wasn't impressed using them with one of my past amps, but found synergy with another. For me, when paired correctly, they can really shine (with the right music of course; I use them exclusively for acoustic jazz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back