How many headfiers here are enjoying music with AKG K701?
Oct 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #46 of 121
I love my 701's with my heed canamp, but must admit that the hf-2 with little dot III are getting most of time right now. That being said, I would never sell my pair. The HF-2's and 701's are different but I love them both and depending on my mood I'll spend a couple months listening to one or the other and then switch. If you hate the 701's, I say that's fine indeed. All is good.. the key is to have a setup that makes you happy! Great listening to all......

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #47 of 121
re: comments about thread-crapping in appreciation threads

was this intended as an appreciation thread? or an open-ended question, to which we can (as someone else asked) answer, "no"?

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #48 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re: comments about thread-crapping in appreciation threads

was this intended as an appreciation thread? or an open-ended question, to which we can (as someone else asked) answer, "no"?

A valid question. I interpreted it as being somewhat tilted toward an appreciation thread. But the OP might want to elaborate. Saying "no," however, is not the issue when one goes beyond and grinds the axe, so to speak.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #49 of 121
as I've said in other threads, negative posts about the K701 in my opinion, come from the fact that some folks won't accept a single post about someone disliking them for whatever reason, and furthermore, recommend them for their weaknesses, for people who want a headphone with good bass, for example. I've never seen this with other phones. Never seen people recommending grados for good soundstage or sennheisers for someone wanting bright phones. Also, when someone says they dislike some aspect of the 701, there is always something to blame other than the phones. I have not seen this to this extent, with any other headphone either. Never seen people blame recordings for grados sounding bright, or people blaming recordings or someone's hearing for thinking sennheisers are boring, or too warm (usually they just recommend beefy amps, which is true). the funniest is blaming people's hearing.
wink.gif

nothing wrong with loving a headphone though these are just some thoughts
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #51 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A valid question. I interpreted it as being somewhat tilted toward an appreciation thread. But the OP might want to elaborate. Saying "no," however, is not the issue when one goes beyond and grinds the axe, so to speak.

And if I say, "Yes", can I wax lyrical? If so, then why can't the naysayers tell us why they don't enjoy K701? If not, then this really should be a poll. Which would be the OP's fault. Let's start hurling insults and staring daggers at him.

Ready? 3...2..1... <glare>

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #52 of 121
@Sherwood
I do not know why you got the impression I know something others do not. My ears are not the best but do still work thankfully. The headphones I will mention the headphones I have owned it started from portable. Grado sr40 one side went out so went back and upgraded to sr60. Was night and day clarity. I would use a really good portable cd player, Mp3 players where in there infancy. Then tried the sr80, built diy amps similar to cmoy. Lots of Koss porta pros, ksc50, ksc75 and now back to sporta pros because thats all I can get locally. Had a few sets of px100. I shortened the wire on a set of hd555 for a friend did not like them veiled sound I would say. I wanted to hear soundstage and be circumaural and as clear as I could afford that is why I picked the K702. Question for you If you will? Who is the picture of beside your name?

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #54 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if I say, "Yes", can I wax lyrical? If so, then why can't the naysayers tell us why they don't enjoy K701? If not, then this really should be a poll. Which would be the OP's fault. Let's start hurling insults and staring daggers at him.

Ready? 3...2..1... <glare>

The problem is not with describing why you do or don't like them. What causes a lot of grief is insinuations that those who like them lack experience, have lesser hearing abilities, don't know what live music sounds like, etc etc.
Obviously when you attack the supporters of the headphones rather than the phones themselves you're going to cause problems.
Usually people don't say 'oh you like them because you don't know what live music sounds like', but rather something like 'I've spent a lot of time listening to live music/I'm a musician/I worked in a studio and so I know what live music sounds like and the x headphones just get a, b, and c wrong.'

To answer the op's question, yes I do, and I love the way they render classical recordings and in particular vocals (and instruments in the vocal range). Winterreise, for example, sounds stunning.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #55 of 121
Ah yes, I see what you mean. I guess it's an empirical questions – one I can't be bothered to find the answer to – whether there were these sorts of insinuations in this thread.

FWIW, the few minutes I had K701 on, I was blown away.

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #58 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naglfar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my 702 when listening to female vocals and acoustic stuff. For rock, I still prefer my $100 Ultrasone HFI-550. It sounds more lively.

Finally, a kindred spirit - I believe the Ultrasones are very underrated on a forum where many are obsessed with the most expensive models over those which simply offer great VFM. I would add the K501 to the VFM battalion, but the HFI-550/DJ1 rocks my world.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #59 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find this odd about Head-Fi, the need to trash a headphone in a headphone appreciation thread.

But is this a headphone appreciation thread?
The OP clearly asked a question which can be answered "Yes" or "No" -> "Do you enjoy too listening music with these highly praised headphones?"

Hence (imo) those who answer "No" are just as entitled to post why as those who answer "Yes".
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #60 of 121
Great for new-age, classical OK for rock still great after a good burn in and the right amp. If a person does not have the right amp or has not burned them in then no use to try and review something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back