How many headfiers here are enjoying music with AKG K701?
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

VALIENTE

1000+ Head-Fier
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 121
Many of us (including myself) do, and many of us don't. It's a very controversial headphone around these parts. I personally think that they definitely do have their flaws, but at the end of the day their good points outweight the bad for me. It just depends on how much people can deal with the bad points, which can indeed be a deal breaker to some who find them intolerable (two of which are the spiky upper mids and lean bass).

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 121
It is difficult to believe that Phil Gold directly compared the K-701 to the K-1000 and didn't notice the rather large tonal difference between them. Like the K-701 or not, they sound nothing like a K-1000. When comparing the two against live music or a known good reference, the K-1000 sounds like the real thing to me.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 121
me too

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 121
K702's Like them a lot so far.
Not sure what the real purpose of the thread is but it will probably bring a lot of hate also.
K701 leads the way on the most hated headphone thread. I'm guessing they sound better than far more expensive headphones and that rubbed some the wrong way.
So far I think the so called flaws are highly exaggerated.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 121
Yes, I do enjoy mine

I never found the tonality is off and the vocals sound plasticky and unreal, blah blah blah.......as some describe
rolleyes.gif

but in the end, the definition of neutral is different for everyone.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 121
I don't know what many of the terms used to describe these headphones mean in real world use, such as "spiky upper mids". Maybe I don't listen with such a critical ear, idk. I do know my 701's sound better to me than anything else I've listened to, including a few Grado's and the 600/650 Sennheisers.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 leads the way on the most hated headphone thread. I'm guessing they sound better than far more expensive headphones and that rubbed some the wrong way.

Just because you like the K701 doesn't mean that everybody else is wrong!

I didn't enjoy the K701 at all but I also heard quite a lot other headphones, cheaper and more expensive ones. A lot of headphones are too expensive for what they are able to deliver but what can you do if you like its sound signature?
wink.gif

The K701 is a nice headphone, especially if you look at its price tag, but I just don't like the sound signature, that's all.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 121
I like my K701's particularly with my LD MK IV SE tube amp.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 121
Quote:

I paid $60 for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT48s and prefer them to some far more expensive headphones.

Including the K-701, for that matter. Which is why the K-701 was sold.

If enjoyment is simply a function of price (or some implied "protectionism" based on what you spent) then how did that happen?

I also paid less than half the price of a K-701 for a K-501. The K-501 was superior in every way to the K-701.

Again, how did that happen? Shouldn't I have preferred the more expensive headphone?

And why don't I trash the K-501 and DT48 because they cost less than a K-701 yet sound better? I wouldn't want to rub people the wrong way by praising the DT48 and K-501 as cheaper, but better, alternatives to the K-701, would I?

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 121
Quote:

By all means, do report back when you've been here longer than a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back