How long for a CD to burn in?
Aug 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. Now I have to think about burning in my sata cables too? I wonder If I could get better 3g speeds if I could figure out how to burn-in my touch diamond?

Cat 6 cables if you run network storage are even more critical for burn-in.

The gorilla in the room though, the thing everyone is avoiding, is wireless networking. Proper burn-in of your 802.11b, g, and n frequencies are critical for enjoyment of your system, assuming you have a wireless music server. Wireless burn-in can be achieved through modification of your microwave oven, or at least I have heard it can. This requires you remove pets and small children from the area where you are burning in the frequencies in question.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Great. Now I have to think about burning in my sata cables too? I wonder If I could get better 3g speeds if I could figure out how to burn-in my touch diamond?

the trick is to minimize fingerprints and oily residue on the touch screen - they cause a real smeared image, and thus a reduced soundstage

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speederlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cat 6 cables if you run network storage are even more critical for burn-in.

The gorilla in the room though, the thing everyone is avoiding, is wireless networking. Proper burn-in of your 802.11b, g, and n frequencies are critical for enjoyment of your system, assuming you have a wireless music server. Wireless burn-in can be achieved through modification of your microwave oven, or at least I have heard it can. This requires you remove pets and small children from the area where you are burning in the frequencies in question.

you win the thread

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 68
I think what the OP refers to is what the SHM-CD is based upon(or HQCD as well) :
SHM-CD
HQCD (Hi Quality CD)

their elite polycarbonate improves jiter yada-yada...some guy actually ripped one of these "sampler disc" w/ normal CD+SHM-CD, and of course their CRC was identical
rolleyes.gif

OTOH, they use top-notch mastering...like only the Japanese ppl can make these days
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

My 7200rpm drives sound so much more neutral than my 5400's. The 5400's are a lot more tube like with much smoother mids.

don't start on this please! there's actually a link where the guy clearly says that different hard drives give different SQ, the type of carpet the computer is lying upon would also matter to him and make clear audible differences(a la Patrick82, you know "low level details" etc)...sad but true
confused_face.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 68
You can't put a computer on carpet. The static you generate affects the sound of the hard drives. You have to put computers on ceramic infused stealth rubber only.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

You can't put a computer on carpet. The static you generate affects the sound of the hard drives. You have to put computers on ceramic infused stealth rubber only.

No, you can get audiophile carpet. In addition to eliminating the hard-drive/carpet static effect it also improves background blackness depth through it's unique proprietary nylon fibers which remove wave reflections due to the sound escaping open headphones. It's also comfy to walk on barefoot. It carries a premium price but the improvement is striking and well worth the investment.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 68
I only use ERS paper on the floor of my stillpoint mounted faraday cage. Now if I could only figure out how to stop those pesky neutrinos from adding distortion to my system...

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #39 of 68
ERS paper may work for some people, but for the best sound quality you really need to place your computer on top of some high grade wood panels. The wood panels will balance out the overly digital sound you would otherwise be getting. Naturally, tropical wood will add more warmth to the sound while northern pine will give a more cool analytic flavor. The wood can also be lightly charred to provide a bit more warmth if desired.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood can also be lightly charred to provide a bit more warmth if desired.

I actually sell audiophile grade charred wood. If anyone is interested let me know. It's very reasonably priced.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #42 of 68
Well, kudos to the OP for their title making my mouth gape open momentarily.

Let's be honest here. Everything in the signal chain needs to be burnt in. Including all of the gear racks, headphone stands, etc. I find that my component rack made my gear sound much better after around the 50 hour mark. Must be all the atoms settling and minimizing those pesky vibrations.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

CD Mastering - The Digital Myth
Quote:

I had a client with a Firewire drive with 24 bit AIFF files. He transferred a song from one drive to another. Again, we loaded both the Firewire file and the Mac hard drive file onto my DAW so each could be instantly selected. With morbid curiosity, I stood in front of my console where I could not see which file he played - and in 3 out of 4 comparisons, I heard a difference. The Firewire file was warmer in the vocal and the snare was less dry sounding.

Now trust me, the difference was very very very slight.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #44 of 68
Plonter:

To further enhance your CD's, you could try this.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plonter:

To further enhance your CD's, you could try this.

How can that reviewer take crap like this seriously?
triportsad.gif

Quote:

Light and thus photons are emitted and hit the dots on the credit card through the black acrylic above the laser. In turn, one or more -- or all, who knows -- of the dots will get excited and emit a load of photons. These somehow will reach the optic disc above, again through a piece of black acrylic. Once they hit the optical disc, its polycarbonate is structurally altered in such a way that the noise floor is lowered when playing the disc.
However, we hope the retail price for the Intelligent Card comes down real soon so that more audio hobbyist can enjoy the benefits of this photon cannon.
Because we still have no 100% explanation for how these light treatments work on the physical disc itself, we will keep searching for that elusive answer.

They don't have ANY explanation at all because it's a fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back