How long for a CD to burn in?
Aug 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 68
I've also noticed that my RAW or jpeg pictures get "warmer" after viewing them for a while. Maybe it's a similar phenomenon.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 68
I think it affects the actual shape of the bits. It takes a while for the zeros to become perfectly round instead of oval and the ones need time to gain that little top leg so they don't look like l's.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know how it sounds, but in fact I really am noticing some very minor differences after a few times I play a cd. don't know if it is related directly to the cd itself, but the differences are there indeed.

can someone give a proof that this kind of "burn in" DOESN'T exits?

By your logic, if you play the CD a few hundred times, the changes would accumulate to a point that a program like Exact Audio Copy would not be able to match the CD to the database version, when it would previously match - all this without the CD suffering from normal wear and tear from spinning in a CD drive (only the laser can change the CD).

I've bought second hand CDs that look pretty well used and they still match the database version in EAC.

Scientifically, the default position is the non-existence of phenomena. You have to prove that CD burn-in (or the Invisible pink unicorn) exists in a repeatable experiment.

I think you are just noticing the smaller details as you get more familiar with the CD.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Hi all. Have anyone ever noticed a change in the sound of a cd after playing it a couple of times?
I noticed that some cds can sound pretty cold and dry in the first couple of times playing...but after a few times they get more smooth and warm sounding.
this change is more audible in some cds and less audible with others.

Quote:

one more question by the way...are scratches and "holes" in the cd surface are introducing more jitter?

facepalm.jpg

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 68
He means scratches on the cd. Anyway I'm of the opinion that cd's must soon become obsolete so it doesn't matter. That'll be good too. I'd much rather listen to people talk about how different hard drives sound different than how cd transports sound different, things won't spin in circles as much, less things for proponents and detractors to discuss.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means scratches on the cd. Anyway I'm of the opinion that cd's must soon become obsolete so it doesn't matter. That'll be good too. I'd much rather listen to people talk about how different hard drives sound different than how cd transports sound different, things won't spin in circles as much, less things for proponents and detractors to discuss.

cds will probably vanish someday...how long? nobody knows, but I am with the same opinion as you. although I listen only to cds, its because my computer is noisy as hell and i never got the time or the power to invest in a superior computer rig, and also cd player is pretty cheap.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 68
My 7200rpm drives sound so much more neutral than my 5400's. The 5400's are a lot more tube like with much smoother mids.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 68
If anyone is interested in the green marker trick, I have a few for sale.

They look like ordinary green markers, but have had their pigments molecularly aligned through cryogenic treatment. They've also been exposed to negative ionization just to make sure. They're much, much more effective than ordinary green markers.

Treatment will increase your soundstage, increase the seperation between instruments and give you blacker blacks, and even add some blackness to reds and blues.

Only $900. PM me for details. One marker will treat dozens of discs. It's the biggest upgrade you can make to your system.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They look like ordinary green markers, but have had their pigments molecularly aligned through cryogenic treatment. They've also been exposed to negative ionization just to make sure. They're much, much more effective than ordinary green markers.

Treatment will increase your soundstage, increase the seperation between instruments and give you blacker blacks, and even add some blackness to reds and blues.

Only $900. PM me for details. One marker will treat dozens of discs. It's the biggest upgrade you can make to your system.

Haha, another hilarious send-up of snake oil marketing.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

will they work on my Virtual Dynamics Judge? I was considering coloring the male power contacts with marker

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #30 of 68
Great. Now I have to think about burning in my sata cables too? I wonder If I could get better 3g speeds if I could figure out how to burn-in my touch diamond?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back