How long do you plan to keep your amps?
Mar 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cold, dead hands.

except of course when they're trembling, jonesing, upgrading hands...

:wink:

given the turnover in some audiophiles' inventory, this is a very interesting thread. there's clearly an nice curve to be drawn, perceived value of gear over time - but it's offset by anticipations of battery issues, lifestyle issues, and sheer gearlust...

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #33 of 48
I plan on selling my HEADSIX to fund a STEPDANCE this summer... but thats only because I am primarily using my UE TF10, and the pot is not as accurate as I would like below 9 o clock so it gets loud.

Plus, active ground and Jans latest are always favorable
smily_headphones1.gif
pros

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #36 of 48
I'm keeping mine until I upgrade my headphones enough to need something stronger. I don't see that happening any time soon, but one never knows with this hobby.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #38 of 48
I think a major part that plays into how long we keep our equipment is the whole idea of diminishing returns. Although we can buy new and sell used with a little hit on the wallet, that sell value is generally somewhat high because of the initial price of the item.

If selling you might have to take a 50 or so dollar hit in selling (depending on what item) but if you're planning on upgrading selling that old amp for 200 bucks is a big help when you only bought it for 250 or so.

Honestly, I think that if we didn't have the buy/sell forums on here a lot less people would buy high end equipment knowing that it would be a lot harder to sell.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am 100% in agreement with the importance of user replaceable batteries. It is a baseline requirement for me (as is a discreet stepped volume control).

*DING DING DING* We have a winner!

The pot causes so many issues on my portable amp... I can't wait until its "perfectly" balanced at any volume!

And I would die without being able to carry around rechargeable 9 volts!

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*DING DING DING* We have a winner!

The pot causes so many issues on my portable amp... I can't wait until its "perfectly" balanced at any volume!

And I would die without being able to carry around rechargeable 9 volts!

Is it any coincidence that we are both lining up to buy the STEPDANCE?
atsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it any coincidence that we are both lining up to buy the STEPDANCE?
atsmile.gif

Haha most likely not! I am really looking forward to getting one. Jan's work is simply outstanding and I am happy he decided to go with something purely for SQ alone. Keeps prices lower and satisfaction high.

But, I just bought a Concerto from him, so I will have to recoup until I can afford it. I looked into the portable RS amps, but for what they are, they are awfully expensive :S. I am not saying they are bad, I am sure I would enjoy them, but the prices are steep. Looks like Jan's outsourcing is really helping the prices stay down. Since when is German engineering cheaper than American? :p? Stepdance really seems like it will do everything I want, and sound amazing to boot.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #44 of 48
Sokolov91, for what it is worth, I just spent two afternoons in Mongkok, Hong Kong auditioning the Corda 3Move, Pico and RSA Shadow. I was using my Triple-fi's as well as the W3s and UM3xs (which I was also auditioning).

Both the 3Move and the Pico bettered the Shadow IMHO. I can also tell you that at Kingsound Audio in Hong Kong, there was no doubt in their minds that the tiny matchbox Shadow could not keep pace with the 3Move (and I suspect that they can earn more from selling an expensive RSA amp.)

Jan also confirmed to me in an email that the STEPDANCE will outperform the 3Move with IEMs - and this man I happen to trust.

Be patient, my friend! Just another month or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back