How long do you plan to keep your amps?
Mar 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cant figure out why?

Because some amp manufacturers will disapear, and most people wont know where to get a replacement battery for it, and wont know how to install it either.
Some of these batteries were purchased at a good deal in bulk especially for the amp its implimented into, and you may not be able to get them.

Some amp makers are the only one in their company, and when they die or retire and disapear, youre left with an amp that needs a propriotary battery, and wont know how to replace it.

If your Pico battery or Predator battery dies and Ray or Justin is gone......Where will you get a replacement?

I wish you luck
smily_headphones1.gif

I like it simple.

I understand why you are concerned about these non-standard batteries wearing out and not getting replacements. I don't understand why you are looking forward to other peoples' misery when they possibly can't find a replacement battery in the future.

Also, while it is certainly an issue to consider, I don't think it's quite as big of a deal as you make it out to be. I would be fairly surprised to find that these amps are using propriety batteries. I would guess they are using lithium packs that are readily available. While not everybody will take the time themselves to find a suitable replacement, I don't see why they couldn't contact a third party to replace the battery for them. A wide variety of such cells are commercially available in a variety and specs and dimensions. And from my experience they are not terribly expensive.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand why you are concerned about these non-standard batteries wearing out and not getting replacements. I don't understand why you are looking forward to other peoples' misery when they possibly can't find a replacement battery in the future.

Also, while it is certainly an issue to consider, I don't think it's quite as big of a deal as you make it out to be. I would be fairly surprised to find that these amps are using propriety batteries. I would guess they are using lithium packs that are readily available. While not everybody will take the time themselves to find a suitable replacement, I don't see why they couldn't contact a third party to replace the battery for them. A wide variety of such cells are commercially available in a variety and specs and dimensions. And from my experience they are not terribly expensive.

Im not truly looking forward to anyones misery.
But i want people to think before dropping alot of money on an amp, thats all.
The same makers that have rechargeable amps, also have great models with more common batteries that i think are a more practical buy.
Some of these people buying these amps are kids that dont have much money, and they spent it all on a nice amp, and when the battery wont take a charge they wont know what to do.
Some of these amps from other countries are made at companies that wont even be here next year.
Im not saying theyre not great amps and great designs or anything. Some of the best amps have a battery pack in them, but i want people to think of it and make a choice before they buy it. Alot of people havent thought of that scenerio at all.
Some of the more stable companies will be here to replace the battery for them, but i know some amps that have a specialized battery in them, and for now its replaceable, but down the road i dont know.
Im going through it right now with one of my amps and its a PITA.
Lucky for me its not an expensive amp, and not one of my favourites anyway, but still i hate to waste it.
Its still a nice little amp.
The paperweight comment wasnt meant to say i cant wait to enjoy peoples misery. It was meant to jog someones brain into thinking before a purchase, and sometimes if you dont get someones attention, they glaze right over some good advice without remembering to calculate it into their purchase decision.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my AE2 for close to 2 years. No matter what comes out, I won't be replacing it until it fries.

Nice amp....looks like a tiny home amp, its cute.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 48
Got my RSA Predator used, keeping it for a long time. This is an expensive hobby. It has a lifetime warranty and I can always send it back to Ray for service and battery replacement.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my AE2 for close to 2 years. No matter what comes out, I won't be replacing it until it fries.

I have that feeling with a few of my amps. I prolly wont be getting rid of any, but ill definately always keep my Portaphiles and my Tomahawk.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lootbag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my RSA Predator used, keeping it for a long time. This is an expensive hobby. It has a lifetime warranty and I can always send it back to Ray for service and battery replacement.

Haha oh yea tell me about it -_- I look at my rig now and think to myself, "If I were to upgrade anything it's going to be at least 300 minimum."
frown.gif

And the worst thing is is that I'm about to go to college lol.
I'm doing good fighting upgraditis though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 48
I just want everything.
I really dont want to sell anything...i just want a collection. I want to get a shelf or display case for all my little portable amps...lol.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #24 of 48
I don't see this as an issue. Technology is ever evolving so everything becomes disposable at some point. If it makes you happy in the interim, then you are all set. Eventually things like the Predator, the Tomahawk and the Shadow will be old news and something smaller and better will come along as their battery packs die. Don't count out eBay for providing any and everything needed for a retro fit. I say just enjoy what you have and let time predict the future. No need in thinking "what if in ten years". Make the most out of what you have now.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #25 of 48
Forever. It was a gift from Antony Michaelson owner of Musical Fidelity.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 48
I'm keeping mine forever, still have a Go-Vibe 2 believe it or not.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a tomahawk and a Portaphile and no plans to retire them. For my gear I have the perfect amps. Tomahawk for IEM's and Portaphile for The big Cans.

Since both he and DragOn got me back into it, I too have Portaphile newly-made by Cesar--got one of the last two he was going to make--and the Tomahawk. Ditto what Big Poppa sez: Portaphile for bedside use with IEMs and Beyer 880 250ohm and th Tomahawk for portabiity. And the replaceable/rechargeab;le batteries arenice too.

And this from someone who has owned iBassos, almost every Ray Samuels amp and a few Xins.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see this as an issue. Technology is ever evolving so everything becomes disposable at some point. If it makes you happy in the interim, then you are all set. Eventually things like the Predator, the Tomahawk and the Shadow will be old news and something smaller and better will come along as their battery packs die. Don't count out eBay for providing any and everything needed for a retro fit. I say just enjoy what you have and let time predict the future. No need in thinking "what if in ten years". Make the most out of what you have now.

Correction on the Tomahawk, it uses two AAA batteries that lasts a very very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back