how important are interconnects?
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 57
I'm not ready to claim they make no difference - I do think I can hear a difference in headphone cables - but every time I invest modestly in them I end up severely disappointed in the long run. The money would have been far, far better spent *anywhere* else in the system - especially on music, as previously pointed out, since boutique cables prices can fetch quite a nice chunk of vinyl or CD.

My last speaker rig sounded the best it ever had in the weeks right before I sold it, and for the amp connection I was using a 4m long IC that cost maybe $30 or $40 new - compare that to the $270 1m HGA ICs I was previously using that also featured horrendously difficult & annoying to use RCA plugs. The major difference was in the speaker positioning and preamp - whatever sonic differences could be attributed to the ICs were microscopic in comparison.

Speaking of headphone cables, I've gone back to the stock cable for the HD650 ever since I got my vinyl rig running. It's been sounding a hair more natural and fluid to me then the replacement cables.

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #17 of 57
My IC's made a huge difference, they are high end cables and most think differences are small, since they only heard cables in a certain pricerange. Top cables can make more difference then many think. You gotta have a system that is transparent enough to let you hear all the differences.

One important thing is matching! I heard cables underperform in one system and shine in others. Cables don't have to be really expensive if there is a good match and synergy; however high end cables give you more of the good things. Differences i've heard in favour of high end cables: neutral(less of an own signature), speed, extension(both top and bottom), body (voices and instruments sound more convincing) stage(wider and deeper), transparency(you can "look" easier and deeper into the soundstage and there is no veil).

If you buy second hand, you are able to buy better cables!

Matching and listening IS very important. You'll hear when there's a good match; you will forget to listen very critical to the sounds presented to you and start enjoying music as it is presented to you! It doesn't neccessarely have to be a high end cable. Sometimes a cheap(er) cables works fine, sometimes a more expensive one works best.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 57
When people hear a difference between cable products where there is no independent confirmation , no one can claim that listener bias is not affecting the results anymore than someone can claim the difference was due to product qualities that are not supported by independent observation.

Use your common sense. Why not start worrying about whether the "real weak-link" in the system, the speaker, can accurately reproduce a short impulse, a long rectangular-pulse, has a good waterfall response, low harmonic and IM distortion, a reasonably flat impedance curve Vs freq., etc., etc.?

Almost all speakers exhibit such poor "transfer characteristics" as to render absurd any minor distortions introduced by a cable.

Be smart. Spend you $$ on a headphone upgrade even if it is used.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 57
Cables mediate the signal from source to amp and from amp to headphones/speakers. The audio chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Putting low quality cables between high quality components leaves you listening to less than what those components are sonically capable of.

My latest upgrades with MAC cables (ICs and PCs) have proven perhaps as momentous as whole component upgrades. Same goes for headphone cable upgrading; for example, the RAL/Proline cable has brought even more of the good qualities from these headphones that I'd originally come to enjoy.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 57
Don't waste your money on expensive boutique interconnects. As has been said, unless you have a hyper revealing rig, it is wasted money. It is the last thing on the upgrade totem pole for me.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #21 of 57
Try MAC cables, for sale on the AudiogoN. For the money, Steve Hallick's IC and PC cables are easily the best I've heard to date. Now if he would only agree to build some headphone cables! : )

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes 10% or 20% are the numbers used as a rule of thumb.

Great! Then I am pretty much spot on with my $1000 interconnect cable..
lambda.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 57
no way. 1000 dollars? its not just speaker interconnects right?

can i see a picture?

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can i see a picture?

0.75 meter balanced interconnects (RSAD Poiema!!! Signature).
lambda.gif

Connecting my DAC and amplifier.

Poiema_Signature_1.jpg

Poiema_Signature_2.jpg

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0.75 meter balanced interconnects (RSAD Poiema!!! Signature).
lambda.gif

Connecting my DAC and amplifier.

Poiema_Signature_1.jpg

Poiema_Signature_2.jpg

Enjoy your new cables! I KNOW how much of a difference good cables can make!
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can i see a picture?

1000 dollars is where high end begins! The new Nordost top cables are 18.000 dollars.LOL.(not that i could afford them).
icon10.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy your new cables! I KNOW how much of a difference good cables can make!
wink.gif
icon10.gif

I sure do!
Been loving it for 3 months so far...
lambda.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 57
I believe ICs can make a difference, but I definitely have to agree with Asr on this one. With the PA2v2, you aren't likely to hear much of a difference, if any at all.

I think the cable that you picked up for $20 was a really good choice. It's far more manageable than the stock PA2v2 cable and looks a lot nicer too. Plus, you didn't go out and spend a ton for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back