how important are interconnects?
Sep 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #46 of 57
The more I listen to the music, the lower is my appreciation for the blind tests. I do not use my rig for performing blind tests but for listening to the music. So what I'm interested in are the differences I hear when I'm listening relaxed and for pleasure, not when I'm hunting for the differences to prove to somebody a simple fact which I actually don't care about. I think it's no big deal to distinguish IXOS 104 from CryoTweaks Pure Silver RCA cable. I'll ask somebody to perform the cable swaps for me but I actually don't need it. The difference are too obvious.
smily_headphones1.gif
I realized several tmes that people skeptical to the interconnects change their mind after listening to the rig wired with quality cables. So, yes, cables don't matter when you have good ones. Otherwise their meaning is significant but how would you find out about it?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's being obsessive, not being an audiophile. An audiophile simply wants the best sound possible. That requires putting your resources into areas that really count and not wasting time with what doesn't count. Ultimately, it's the music that matters.

As long as cables are well made, they perform just like every other cable. This is a fact. No need to spend more than $10 on a cable. I get mine at Radio Shack and they work just as well the big thick ones with fancy cloth coverings. No difference.

See ya
Steve

The only one who is obsessive is you, preaching there is no difference in cables in every thread possible while more and more threads start to pop up of people who actually tried high end cables and clearly state they are much better.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #48 of 57
I look at interconnects as the last step to completing your system. When you are building your system I think it is enough to just use a well made interconnect. Once you have everything else where you want it, it can be rewarding to explore better options... though it is important to steer clear of overpriced cables. Auditioning your purchase is always a good idea, even with IC's. I've recently settled on SignalCable Silver Resolution Balanced [great value, and I got them used at a reduced price] and am quite happy. If I get a chance to try another balanced cable, I will, but I'm not actively in the market at this point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
I do not use my rig for performing blind tests but for listening to the music. So what I'm interested in are the differences I hear when I'm listening relaxed and for pleasure, not when I'm hunting for the differences to prove to somebody a simple fact which I actually don't care about.
<snip>

Please help ingwe choose a response by selecting one of the following:

1.) +1

2.) x2

3.) QFT

4.) Me too.

5.) All of the above.

--------------------------------
A: 5. All of the above.

wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for pure silver cables. Significant upgrade to quality copper cables. Maybe silver plated copper will work too, but I haven't tried it. Don't think about the cost percentage, just buy cheap and good silver cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

What folks say about it being the latter stage 'tweak' is my take as well. ICs can assist in getting the best synergy between all of the equipment and, yes, the right choice (and it's not about the most expensive choice) can make a significant difference.

I agree with the silver/silver plated copper approaches but go further to suggest that the right grade of wire and choice of dylectic is important.

I trust Drew (Moon Audio) for getting the every best full range SQ balance out of any silver ICs he constructs (still not perfect but I find it a noticeable step beyond Grovers and other good quality silvers). And I trust [AK]Zip (Apuresound) for silver plated copper: he's developed an excellent blend and, like Drew, continues to research to further improve the performance. Both types benefit from 150 hours burn in.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #51 of 57
I like your "rule of thumb," makes sense, though I did spend 25% of the cost of my amp (1K) on an interconnect. Made a huge difference conpared to my ~ $50 Monster interconnect.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #52 of 57
I'm not sure how much sense it makes to put percentage numbers on how much you spend on interconnects. If you've invested any real money on your components it does seem a shame to let that high quality signal be polluted by low grade connectors. The difference does really seem to be dramatic when the likes of ALO, Apuresound, or Revelation Audio are involved. Another matter of interest is in the difference of philosophies. As some believe that the ideal IC "gets out of the way" and merely lets you hear your components without corruption or signal degradation. While others use the IC as a tone control to enhance system synergy (e.g. silver vs. copper).

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how much sense it makes to put percentage numbers on how much you spend on interconnects. If you've invested any real money on your components it does seem a shame to let that high quality signal be polluted by low grade connectors. The difference does really seem to be dramatic when the likes of ALO, Apuresound, or Revelation Audio are involved. Another matter of interest is in the difference of philosophies. As some believe that the ideal IC "gets out of the way" and merely lets you hear your components without corruption or signal degradation. While others use the IC as a tone control to enhance system synergy (e.g. silver vs. copper).

Yup, i agree.

Add nordost as one of the best cables as well.

I like the one that gets out of the way. means you gotta have a balanced system. The other type of IC will obscure imperfections in the system.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how much sense it makes to put percentage numbers on how much you spend on interconnects. If you've invested any real money on your components it does seem a shame to let that high quality signal be polluted by low grade connectors.

Personally, I recommend the excellent quality of the standard Radio Shack cables. Their high end line won't pollute your signal, but I don't use them because the RCA jacks are too tight. You have to yank too hard to get them off. That can lead to shorts that cause a lot more disruption than signal loss in cables.

See ya
Steve

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I recommend the excellent quality of the standard Radio Shack cables. Their high end line won't pollute your signal, but I don't use them because the RCA jacks are too tight. You have to yank too hard to get them off. That can lead to shorts that cause a lot more disruption than signal loss in cables.

See ya
Steve

You won't hear anything in case of a short.
wink.gif

It could be the short(est) musical piece in history.
tongue.gif

I am curious bigshot, what cables are you using for your recording equipment?

I am really hardpressed to believe it would be radioshack cables.
blink.gif

Wait a minute, you are recommending the high end line of radio shack. Can't they do with a cable of 5 dollars?!

I thought you didn't believe in high end.
blink.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't hear anything in case of a short.
wink.gif

It could be the short(est) musical piece in history.
tongue.gif

I am curious bigshot, what cables are you using for your recording equipment?

I am really hardpressed to believe it would be radioshack cables.
blink.gif

Wait a minute, you are recommending the high end line of radio shack. Can't they do with a cable of 5 dollars?!

I thought you didn't believe in high end.
blink.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, reading comprehension required. All has been answered before.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back