How I spoiled hi-fi for myself
May 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #46 of 92
Hmmm...The way I see it, is that there should be a balance of gear obsession and music obsession. But in the end, it's music that easily wins and becomes the main focus. I love gear but only to a point. It's good to be obsessed with gear for a while but after a certain time frame, it's time to let go of the madness and really focus on the music.

For a couple years, I was learning a lot too about gear and it was great nerdy fun but the important thing I realized was that we all have opinions. A turning point in my life of Head-fi was when I was attending the meets. I realized what I liked and what was not my cup of tea. After that, internet opinions did not matter much any more. I bought the gear I wanted and that was it. The End.

Now I am looking forward to seeing concerts and enjoying life with music especially new music and this joy of music prevails over gear and the trivial details of Head-fi.

Edit: I have no interest in upgrading even though there may be better stuff out there currently. Maybe in 10 years, I will but high end audio technology does remain stable and high quality for a long time so I am satisfied.

May 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #47 of 92
You know what else is funny that's popped up to my head. I can safely say that a good 80% of head-fiers here are more concerned about there gear than music itself. Just look at all the people with multiple rigs and constantly upgrading. 

May 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #48 of 92
Quote:
Hmmm...The way I see it, is that there should be a balance of gear obsession and music obsession...

Ah, but let's not forget there's another 'wonderful' obsession out there, too: graphs & data — alternatively expressed: listen only with your eyes not your ears. There is indeed value in graphs & scientific data, but...

May 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #51 of 92
LOL @ Bose 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #53 of 92
May 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #54 of 92
Best beets ever.
Gives music that earthy organic quality which all real music afficioados delight in.
Also great on hamburgers.

May 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #56 of 92
Hey now, there's an idea!

BTW, when you say jack, do you mean the TRS plug?  Not one of the female connectors right?  :eek:

Whoops. Slip of the finger.

Plug is what I meant to say. I've mixed them up before, and this won't be the last time either.

I hope that while you have lost your enthusiasm for gear that you never lose your interest in music.

Amen to that, I I think it will never happen.

Ah, but let's not forget there's another 'wonderful' obsession out there, too: graphs & data — alternatively expressed: listen only with your eyes not your ears. There is indeed value in graphs & scientific data, but...

Hey, respects graphs and data will you!
As a physics and math undergrad and person who will potentially end up working as a statistician or data analyst, I am deeply offended by your lack of faith in science.
:wink:

May 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #57 of 92
May 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #59 of 92
I used the same old cd/dac for 5 of the 7 years I have been serious about this hobby. All the while I upgraded all the equipment around it...

It was the Adcom GCD-750 circa 1999-2000, I bought it used in 2007, about a year into putting together my 1st system

specs:

Adcom GCD-750:    balanced design, 4x BB 1702 dac, 6v out balanced and 3v out rca, and had, rare for its time, coaxial digital input!!!...oddly no digital out

anyway, it also had HDCD, the pmd100 converter, and I have a large collection of HDCD from the Grateful Dead (audiophile cred and music tastes are questionable right there!!
confused_face.gif
)
It was neutral, had a great analog output stage, flexible, strong 3v single-ended output was great for direct to Decware Taboo tube amp....a bargain to me, and did nothing to mess-up the music, and worked with my Squeezbox Touch and Duet

Finally, after years of saving, I bought the Berkeley Audio Alpha Dac II.... arguably the best DAC with HDCD out there, flexibility, and good reviews,
and right at the limit of sanity for what I will pay for a single piece of audio gear, roughly $4500

And low and behold I had a complete overhaul of what I thought was possible for my audio system and most importantly my enjoyment of music,
most all of which is in digital format and not available on viny......the digital blues were gone, hurrah!
Moral of the story, spending a bunch on a state of the art dac, has renewed my faith in this hobby, and what is possible for all my music stored digitally...spending more greatly increased my enjoyment of the music...sad but true
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back