How I spoiled hi-fi for myself
May 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #31 of 92
Not sure what to say on the topic... I think, just move on and try to find something else to enjoy

Personally, this "hobby" to me, is just like exploring higher quality options for something I involve/use a lot in my daily life, pretty much the same as my many other spendings.

Quote:

Most of the time, I don't even bother turning on my $5000 Stax rig, I just listen to music on Youtube through my iPad or my crappy computer speakers. I don't get any more enjoyment from using the Stax over other gear, but that's probably because I'm a passive listener, I only listen to music for some 'background noise'.
> Most of the time I am doing background listening too... but whatever, headphone setup is the only sound reproduction setup connected to my desktop anyway, so I'm using it a lot. I actually rarely turn off my rig, but doing so on a stax rig would cost much more :/

And from that, I relish in the fact that I am one of the few people in this world who listens to such crappy music with such high end gear, and that brings a smile to my face.
> I laughed so loud at this...

Quote:

Most of the time I listen to music on the go on the streets. I practically don't listen music at home unless it is music video. I never listen to music when I read because it distracts me. Hence the only gear I'm interested in is portable gear. Then I don't like isolating IEMs which means that I'm restricted to much fewer choices. In the end it seems that most of Head-fi talks are useless to me. It doesn't mean that I don't need this forum. The audio market where I live is very limited and the choice is poor. Hence I need information what gear to get and from where. My goal is to get moderately decent quality gear which will suit my style of life. It is obvious that I'm not interested in "audio journey" - the term I secretly laugh at and which I find pompous.

Haha, I am on the opposite side of your case... have given up on portable rig due to all the troublesome-ness (song selection, carrying, wires, unawareness of surrounding etc)

And that I almost don't read or study without background music playing...

May 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 92
[quote I'll probably find another hobby. Right now that would be pens, though I'm refraining from making any major purchases.[/quote]
Not wishing to sound sanctimonious but IMHO. "Things" don't make us happy.

May 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #33 of 92
Haha, I am on the opposite side of your case... have given up on portable rig due to all the troublesome-ness (song selection, carrying, wires, unawareness of surrounding etc)

And that I almost don't read or study without background music playing...

Same here. I tend to listen to music on-the-go at times when I'm tired and waiting on a train. But right now the jack of my HD25-1 II is kaput, and I haven't repaired it yet.
I really should repair it soon though. All I need is to buy a jack and do some soldering.

May 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #34 of 92
Not wishing to sound sanctimonious but IMHO. "Things" don't make us happy.

Of course they don't. But the process of collecting them, comparing them, and talking about them does. Or if you want to debate the definition of 'happy', they at least cause temporary pleasure.

May 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #35 of 92
Of course they don't. But the process of collecting them, comparing them, and talking about them does. Or if you want to debate the definition of 'happy', they at least cause temporary pleasure.

That's an interesting point. Maybe it's a matter of not letting an interest become an obsession?

May 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 92
Maybe it's a matter of not letting an interest become an obsession?

Hey kris how have you been?
I had a thread a few years back with deep consternation over my purchase of the JH-13 IEM's.
Couldn't for the life of me see what all the hub bub was about,even after some refits,a custom cable and a portable amp.
For the most part they spend their time tucked away under the bed and I listen through them from time to time.
Found out I was a speaker guy at heart and likely always will be.

Everyone would have a different "hobby profile".
Enthusiasts know that spare time is not to be 'spent' but savored.
One thing that’s clear is the need to set aside time for your hobby in advance so it doesn’t fall to the wayside like so many of our well-intended resolutions.
In reference to obsessing:
"this can refer to ploughing through any task past the point of diminishing returns, with disregard to one's own health, sanity or well-being".

Good on you for realizing that in chasing this particular hobby dragon,you never actually catch the dragon.

Over here, I'm still the type that will keep on with the pursuit of Hi-Fidelity looking to embody a sweet,signature sound from recordings.
For myself, bringing a smile to a companion's face,providing an experience of intense pleasure by playing a song that is fraught with poignant association for them,is the sole purpose of sharing my hobby knowledge,equipment and music collection.

May 5, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #37 of 92
great read dude, sorry/pleased to hear about your experience here, it's both pleasing to see satisfaction, and saddening to see the loss of interest.
I do agree, the ears adjust amazingly well. I find the best thing to do with listening is to not limit myself to one thing, I used exclusively my headphones for a long time, but switching between them, desktop speakers, and a larger stereo rig, gives me a different appreciation for the same music, they are equally enjoyable, for a whole album, but the initial impact of when I begin listening is what I really find value in.. Also, it's made me realise that buying things is ok, fixing things is much more rewarding though, and things breaking beyond repair is really disheartening...

May 5, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #38 of 92
Hi 5aces. That's a nice friendly post. :). I vaguely remember your trials with the 13's. sorry they never worked out for you. As long as you have a set up that gives you real pleasure that's great.
I totally get what you describe about good sound enhancing the music immeasurably.
I am not advocating a hair shirt policy. I have a little set up which is way beyond what most people would spend. Happily it is good enough to put a grin on my face and that is what I am after.
I went to a meet recently which was attended by a lovely bunch of people.
Some people had very elaborate set ups.
No disrespect to anyone and each to their own. I just prefer economy of means.
Keep enjoying music. And life! :)

May 5, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #39 of 92
Quote:
But right now the jack of my HD25-1 II is kaput, and I haven't repaired it yet.
I really should repair it soon though. All I need is to buy a jack and do some soldering.

Hey now, there's an idea!

BTW, when you say jack, do you mean the TRS plug?  Not one of the female connectors right? 
eek.gif

May 5, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #40 of 92
op, i dont really know what to say to you but for myself, at one point i really thought that sound quality didnt really matter that much because i dont compare much between my gears and i usually just listen to music and not try to analyze much. but then now my portable player (core of my system) is broken and need to be sent back so i havent been able to listen to decent quality music for a while. when i get on my school shuttle, usually the radio will be on and popular songs will be playing in bad quality and unlike most headfiers, that doesnt bother or annoy me, rather im glad to have something to listen to other than sitting bored for the entire ride but the music doesnt really impress me like how i would feel if i listen to my system which is probably not summit fi but still decent and far better than radio playing modern pop songs in lossy format through weak, small, bad sounding speakers along with the outside noise. i dont think i would quit this hobby yet, if anything im very interested to try out more and more gears and options... though i can say im still relatively new to this hobby... my head-fi joining time is about the time i got interest in this hobby

May 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #41 of 92
The best thing to do is to get some music you love and just drown yourself in the mellifluous melodicity of it all.

Later, concentrate on the parts of the music that stand out and revel in the musicianship and mastery of the musicians.

After you realise you can never master the instruments to the degree of the artists, just enjoy the opportunity of hearing their recordings.

In the retail trade they say the 3 most important aspects of business is location, location, and location.

In musical appreciation the 3 most important aspects of listening pleasure are - Enjoy, Enjoy, and enjoy.

May 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #42 of 92
Unfortunately Tilpo's current experience is something soon I will be hitting as well, although I do have other hobbies, with audio gear, once you eventually get to hear most of the stuff out there, you either stick with one trusty setup or you just lose faith and don't care anymore. I'm floating sort of in the middle, although I feel I haven't quite left the audio scene yet, my interests with audio have gone elsewhere and that direction is just diy, modding and soon building speakers which I have done before in the past but eventually I will be losing interest in audio as a whole in the future. The brain does work in complex ways but hey doesn't matter with a proper setup or no setup as long as we can enjoy music low/high quality using crappy ibuds or some cheap PX100's that's all that matters. 

May 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #43 of 92
For what is worth, I had an audio salon owner confide in me once, that most of his "high end" purchases were by doctors, lawyers, and "indian chiefs".  Also that all most of them were looking for was compliments on their taste in audio gear.  They were looking to boost their egos with expensive gear.  There is a great deal of pseudo-science plaguing this hobby.  Speaking out against it has a price.  I hope that while you have lost your enthusiasm for gear that you never lose your interest in music.

May 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #44 of 92
>>> Also that all most of them were looking for was compliments on their taste in audio gear.  They were looking to boost their egos with expensive gear

This

For me, I'm pretty much done with my head-fi stuff for indeterminable time. Lately I had an irresistible offer for my transport so I sold it and back to computer/PC setup and looking out to buy a better SPDIF converter. Found one already and I should be content again......

May 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #45 of 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back