How good is my rig?
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

raymondu999

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I just recently inherited a home theatre audio rig. It consists of:

Marantz SR-96 receiver
Marantz DP-870 processor
A few power amps, branded as "Bryston" (I'm not sure what model)
4 Vandersteen Model 1's
4 Vandersteen Model 3's

I just wondered if these were components that synergised well together, and if anyone knew what their general sound signature would be like.

Thanks!!

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Nobody can tell you how good the synergy will be with all of that equipment connected. The only opinion that matters is your own, if you enjoy the sound then the answer is yes. If the answer is no, then you need to find out which peices in the system you find appealing and try to demo different products and ultimately find that synergy your looking for.

This list of components is pretty damn good, especially to be inheriting. Home theatre can be very forgiving as far as synergy goes, really dont need to have a killer specs to get good "surround sound"

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 13
very decent. miles ahead of the crappy system you have in your sig.   You are very lucky!

Enjoy!

<edit> further elaboration.  I have only heard the Vandy 3A and I think they are fantastic speakers.  Not quite for me, but I think they are good speakers.  I have no experience with Bryston personally but I know they make tons of stuff for professional studio, so I presume the quality is at least solid. Vandy 3A can be a little fatiguing in the wrong system.  I think Bryston is neutral to slight warm.  Pairing the system with a tube pre and a neutral to slightly warm DAC would be ideal.

Actually for 2 channel audio, all you need is a good preamp, a pair of Bryston mono blocks or a stereo amp, if that's what you have, and a pair of Vandy 3A and you would be all set, for many years to come.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 13
No actually I haven't had the chance to listen to it myself as the stuff is still being moved in to my place. Not to mention its still in pieces and not all hooked up yet. Seems like the general consensus is "pretty damn good, especially for inheritance" 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 13
That should be a good setup.  Bryston makes good components.  They have a 20 year warranty that even transfers to the second owner.  So you might even be under warranty still!

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 13
You owe a huge debt to the person frm whom you inherited this stuff. Vandy 3a's would be acceptable to all but the highest of high end snobs. Bryston stuff is high end competitive and bullet proof. A stereo with just a pair of Vandy's and a good brystons would compete with any $5000 stereo out there and be better than a lot that cost twice that. 

new Vandy 3's went for $2400 when they came out in 1990. the current 3a sigs sold for 4 grand.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 13
That's good stuff, no doubt. Vandersteen makes wonderful speakers, Bryston is top-shelf solid state and I love Marantz gear. They might not impress the snakeoil set, but for those of us who appreciate well-made, realistically priced gear, that's an excellent rig. I hope you appreciate it and spend a lot of time listening.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey all. As apparently the preamp within my receiver is bust, I've had to change a couple of parts in my rig. Now I don't have the SR-96 or the DP-870 :frowning2:

In their place I was recommended an RX-V665 Yamaha. Anyone have experience with this bit of kit? It hasn't arrived yet, just wanted to know (roughly) whether I'd be moving up or down.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Keepers all. Ok, well, except for the Marantz stuff. (It used to be pretty well made when I sourced it direct from Marantz during the sixties and 70's.
wink_face.gif
) The Vandersteen's are good solid stuff. Looks like a great 2-channel system in the making!  

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Avoid the Yamaha - its just not in the same league as the other kit you listed.

One of the realities of older gear is that things like capacitors need to be replaced - even if it cost you money to have it done professionally, the components themself have cost you zero dollars : I'd call that a substantial win.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I know this is a ridiculously old thread, but it didn't feel right leaving those who asked for pictures hanging. The Vandersteens are scattered around the room (well not literally scattered, but you get the picture).

Here are my Bryston amps. The top one says "ST Series" and the other three say "Lucasfilm THX." Obviously these are very old bits of kit, but still great.

One of the Vandy 3s:

One of the Vandy 1s:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back