how does a power cable improve audio sound stage etc..
May 27, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #46 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie
Electrically speaking the difference between the two materials is negligible. There is no explanation why the dynamics of the sound would change, because that implies some sort of interference at specific frequencies.

Um, I don't think that's right. Copper and silver are two different metals with different chemical and physical properties. Of course they are going to make a difference "electrically" due to differences in levels of condunctance. Maybe put a few different cable types on the bench to test the flow. The difference in signal transfer may only seem minimal, but how many cycles are transmitted in an audio signal? But it's not all about materials either, construction of the cable is a big factor also. What's the point in having the most advanced cable when it's held together by pissweak solder?
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Since we're on the subject I wouldnt mind blowing a couple of hundred bucks for a couple of good power cords. My problem is I'm french and we have different sockets for such plugs. Anyone know a HQ power cord maker who could make me a couple of french socketed power cords for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance
wink.gif

The guys at Black Rhodium do power cable off the reel. Silver plated and 13 or 25 amp variations. It would just be a matter of your techie putting the french plugs on it.

May 27, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

It is absolutly irrational to think upgrading your power cord will make any sonic changes, or soundstage changes for that matter.

Absolutely irrational is right. I mean totally crazy. I mean who could even think such a thing? The very notion boggles the mind! I mean what have we become? Have we totally lost our way? Are there no sane, rational men amongst us? Is there no one who can rescue us from our stupendous delusions?
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

To paraphrase Michael Keaton: "Is this a great forum or what?"
orphsmile.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
How does the Placebo effect work for me if I intellectually can’t accept there is a difference in sound caused by a better power cord but I can hear it.

I can’t technically explain the difference but I can hear it.

I can’t measure the difference but I can hear it.

I don’t want there to be a difference since I don’t want to spend the money on a high-end power cord but I can hear it.

So with all of these negatives why does it appear my amp sounds deeper, clearer and fuller with a better power cord? I’m not talking dramatically but noticeably on familiar recordings using the same gear I’ve used for 6 months?

An obvious statement is- Not all systems are up to the level of performance necessary to let the listener differentiate the subtle differences between something like a power cord.

Mitch

Well said! Isn't this whole thing about enjoying our music? But let's have a look at another angle... let's use these same cables on visual equipment. Oh my, is my plasma actually sharper or am I perceiving it? If you see these things side by side, running the exact same signal you will notice that there is a difference.

May 27, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #50 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACAVant
Um, I don't think that's right. Copper and silver are two different metals with different chemical and physical properties. Of course they are going to make a difference "electrically" due to differences in levels of condunctance. Maybe put a few different cable types on the bench to test the flow. The difference in signal transfer may only seem minimal, but how many cycles are transmitted in an audio signal? But it's not all about materials either, construction of the cable is a big factor also. What's the point in having the most advanced cable when it's held together by pissweak solder?
The guys at Black Rhodium do power cable off the reel. Silver plated and 13 or 25 amp variations. It would just be a matter of your techie putting the french plugs on it.

It's carrying current to your power-supply, not signal! I can understand why a speaker cable or interconnect can affect the output. But this magic powercord stuff just seems like a way to separate someone with money to burn from his cash.
Very few people rewire their house from the breaker panel to the outlet. How about the breaker panel to the utility pole? How about a special service from the power co. Ultra clean power!
Putting a voltage stabilizer in your system can make since. Some of those big amps draw enough current to weld with. Makes some since even if they are on a separate circuit.
This reminds me the most of a audio add on that came on the scene about 20 years ago. Some guys were selling a digital clock, that they claimed was treated in some way, so when it was plugged into and outlet of your house everything sounded better. Got rave reviews. Bottom line it was a rip off, $20.00 Radio Shack guts clock selling for $250.00.......
You know, if you got the cash go for it. If you think you can hear the difference, cool.......I can find lots better ways to spend my $$
--
Dana

May 27, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #51 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
You know, if you got the cash go for it. If you think you can hear the difference, cool.......I can find lots better ways to spend my $$

Yet another "expert" who hasn't tried it. Yawn.

May 27, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Absolutely irrational is right. I mean totally crazy. I mean who could even think such a thing? The very notion boggles the mind! I mean what have we become? Have we totally lost our way? Are there no sane, rational men amongst us? Is there no one who can rescue us from our stupendous delusions?
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

To paraphrase Michael Keaton: "Is this a great forum or what?"
orphsmile.gif

By any means, do not take too seriously any of my posts. I personally think theres absolutly no way an upgrade of power cord will make the sound sonically better, but I'm still gonna blow 300USD on a couple of these babies n give it a shot :p

However, no matter how cynical you may be in your many replies, it's certainly not by doing so that you will interest people in buying HQ power cords. You've heard some? you have some? Then make a review comparing stock power cord and upgraded power cord with your best vocabulary and enlighten us OH mighty headphone guru
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #53 of 97
In the end an amp is just taking the power you're feeding it and using it to increase the amplitude and current of the signal. Any noise feeding in through the power will result in distortion as the noise and the audio signal interact.

May 27, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Yet another "expert" who hasn't tried it. Yawn.

Keeping his $100+ in his pocket.
I can sell you a Bridge in NYC, cheap.....
Show me the Physics.

May 27, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #55 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
In the end an amp is just taking the power you're feeding it and using it to increase the amplitude and current of the signal. Any noise feeding in through the power will result in distortion as the noise and the audio signal interact.

And a high $$ cable changes this how?
confused.gif

May 27, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

However, no matter how cynical you may be in your many replies, it's certainly not by doing so that you will interest people in buying HQ power cords. You've heard some? you have some? Then make a review comparing stock power cord and upgraded power cord with your best vocabulary and enlighten us OH mighty headphone guru
wink.gif

morphie, I'm only cynical about these repeated posts that basically say: "There's no way in hell an upgraded power cord can ever make a difference, and the thousands of people who have heard them, including former skeptics, who say otherwise are all wrong -- and, no, I have never tried an upgraded power cord but actual experience is entirely irrelevant." I think that is an absolutely absurd position to advance.

As to my specific comments regarding the effect of upgraded power cords in my system, I will be happy to detail them for you -- because you seem genuinely interested and open-minded -- if you PM me. I'm not interested in doing so in detail in this thread because I don't want to have to respond to arguments from that certain segment to the effect that the reduction in sibilance I have experienced is placebo, or I've lost hearing, or some other such nonsense.

BTW, I hope you don't think my previous post was poking fun at you specifically. I was trying to poke fun at the whole debate, and engaging in some self-depracating humor at the expense of us folks who "hear things."

May 27, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #57 of 97
Don't worry i am long past getting butt hurt over something someone says on a forum or anywhere else online for that matter ^^ For all I know you could be a bald dwarf without the use of his legs so I dont take anything anyone says personally
wink.gif
(ok the dwarf example was a bit pushing it but you get my point).

As for your kind offer to PM me with your impressions, I will gladly take it as I am contemplating buying a couple of power cords but do not know yet where I'll buy them. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #58 of 97
This is getting a bit off the topic now isn't it? The whole thing with rewiring all the way to the power station? Why the hell not. I'm a gazillionaire
tongue.gif
Yeah it's true it would be ridiculous to do. What we are replacing is not the mains from the plant, but removing a bottleneck in the power "chain". This is done by replacing the cheap arse power cable that comes in the box with something that's a little more refined. Do you run the dinky interconnects and speaker wire you get in your boxes? Or do you spring for something a little nicer? It's all about doing the best to have your system run optimally. It's not taking someones money for nothing. And power current is signal. They're both electrical current are they not? Again I suppose it's an ear thing, and everyone is subjective to what they are capable of hearing so it really is a nowhere argument. Music is art and it's to be enjoyed. Just cos I like house doesn't mean you have to.

May 27, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #59 of 97
I have a PSaudio statement and I know for a fact that it makes a difference. I even did a blind test with people who listen to crappy $20 headphones and even they can tell a difference.

My situation may not be common though. My place has *BAD* power so I use a power conditioner which makes a huge difference (I can hear the microwave through the headphones, lol, comes across as a buzz when its not on the power conditioner). Anyway my rig is at my computer and if I use a generic IEC cord I can hear a buzz from interference my computer and several monitors are ovbiously putting out. When the more expensive cord is used between my amp and the power conditioner there is no buzz, the general sound seems more clear as well.

So it works
tongue.gif

May 27, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #60 of 97
Its too easy to say "everyones hearing is different" or "music is art lets not wreck it with such talk". We're here to talk about it, thats what this forum is here for. If they want to argue let them, you dont have to read on if you think its getting stupid.

On that thought, I'm gonna build a HQ gasoline-ran power generator and power all my stuff with it bwehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back