how does a power cable improve audio sound stage etc..
post-1393865
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 97

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
4,339
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
4,339
Likes
13
can someone please explain to me how a power cord can benefit the signal's sonic characteristics?

Ive been reading some reviews of power cables in magazines and they speak of expanded wider sound stage, more detail and so on.

but I do not understand how a power cable can affect sonic performance in that way.

for example if a power cable were assembled well and performed to meet every expection needed for wattage and amp ratings, other then supplying power how would this effect audio? isnt it just drawing and supplying power to the source or amp? and if its a competant cable it will supply proper power.

this confuses me, if anyone has an actual explaination that can answer my questions please help me out here. Im thinking about upgrading my power cable, but only if its truly beneficial as I already have a 125 watt 15 amp green dot cable at the moment.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1393897
Post #2 of 97

PITTM

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
562
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Posts
562
Likes
10
well it seems like youve kind of built yourself a solution. why dont you take out your green dot cable and use a crappy power cable and see if you notice a difference. the more i learn about amplifiers and circuits in general it seems like it is ALL about power. i would also be curious to see if power cords make a difference.

rj
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394141
Post #3 of 97

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
4,339
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
4,339
Likes
13
well, Ive heard differences in interconnects, but then it makes sense since its carrying the audio signal.

but if you have a power cord that is able to carry ALL the power needed, how can different ones that have the same performance alter sound? since it do not carry the audio signal and sends sufficient power to the amp.

thats my question. I havent tested different power cords sicne I dont have money to do such an experiment. which is why im asking before I decide to get a better power cord.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394160
Post #4 of 97

grandenigma1

Member of the Trade:Enigma Audio
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
23
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Posts
3,742
Likes
23
people will argue dirty and clean power, EMI and RFI, proper grounding, build quality, and of course with all audio stuff looks and that fact that it costs more so it must be better.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394680
Post #5 of 97

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
well, Ive heard differences in interconnects, but then it makes sense since its carrying the audio signal.

but if you have a power cord that is able to carry ALL the power needed, how can different ones that have the same performance alter sound? since it do not carry the audio signal and sends sufficient power to the amp.



Makes sense to me also that a interconnect would make a bigger difference than power cords, but I found that it my system changing the stock power cords for upgraded cords made a bigger difference than changing the interconnects.

I couldn't begin to explain why power cords make a difference in my system, but I know that they do. If you buy on on return, you can try for yourself and then return it if it doesn' help.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395153
Post #6 of 97

yorkie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
119
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Posts
119
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
people will argue dirty and clean power, EMI and RFI, proper grounding, build quality, and of course with all audio stuff looks and that fact that it costs more so it must be better.


I'm no expert but here's my opinion anyway.

Using a hospital grade plug should give you cleaner power, but beyond having good connections the material composition of the cabling itself (copper, silver, gold, etc) is electrically speaking negligible.

Any interference argument immediately strikes me as nonsense, because there are miles of cable leading to your house, eliminating the interference in the last few feet will basically be negligible. The only solution to this problem would be power conditioning.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395163
Post #7 of 97

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
4,339
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
4,339
Likes
13
I was reading the reviews in hi fi home audio magazines, they reviewers have very large reference systems and top cables, then they review a power cable and all of a sudden sound stage imaging became more precise, airiness appearing and wider field of sound resulting from the power cable.

This makes me wonder what the heck these reviewers with systems in the 5-6 digit budget levels were using originally


reviews like these alway get me thinking how it is possible. So I was wondering if anyone can explain in down to earth terms with good reason this phenomena.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395624
Post #8 of 97

Leporello

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 10, 2002
Messages
701
Reaction score
21
Joined
May 10, 2002
Posts
701
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
this confuses me, if anyone has an actual explaination that can answer my questions please help me out here. Im thinking about upgrading my power cable, but only if its truly beneficial as I already have a 125 watt 15 amp green dot cable at the moment.


At this stage you should not look for an explanation. Your first question should be: are the perceived differences real or imagined? Only when you have established that there is a real difference is it time to look for explanations.

Don't be fooled by snake oil peddlers!


Regards,

L.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395650
Post #9 of 97

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
At this stage you should not look for an explanation. Your first question should be: are the perceived differences real or imagined? Only when you have established that there is a real difference is it time to look for explanations.



I would argue the contrary. If you listen, and the differences are real to you (i.e., you can hear them with your ears), you don't need to worry about the scientific explanation, or someone else who doesn't own your ears telling you that you can't possibly hear what you hear. To you, the differences are reall and not imagined. The bane of the skeptic's existence is the fact that you can try for yourself, often on 30-day or 60-day return. With every such trial, the skeptics tend to lose another skeptic.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395724
Post #10 of 97

Leporello

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 10, 2002
Messages
701
Reaction score
21
Joined
May 10, 2002
Posts
701
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I would argue the contrary. If you listen, and the differences are real to you (i.e., you can hear them with your ears), you don't need to worry about the scientific explanation, or someone else who doesn't own your ears telling you that you can't possibly hear what you hear. To you, the differences are reall and not imagined.


That is certainly a philosophical position one can choose (I do not, many others do)!

Would you say that it is impossible to imagine (in the sense of "firmly believing in the existence of" etc.) things that do not actually exist at all - that it is impossible to make this kind of distinction between real and imagined at all?

If I firmly believe I am a flying cow
, then "to myself" I am a flying cow. But is that really all that can be said about my situation?


Regards,

L.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395748
Post #11 of 97

shimage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Posts
199
Likes
0
To my knowledge, if you have proper filtering on your power supply, the power cable should almost be irrelevant to sound quality. In the (likely) event that I do not know everything there is to know, you'll probably want to test it out for yourself. Find a place with a good return policy, ask on this forum, whatever. If you're assertive enough, you should find a way to try out some cables risk-free. As for my opinions on how you should go about comparing them ... well, you can probably infer my suggestion from what comes below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I would argue the contrary. If you listen, and the differences are real to you (i.e., you can hear them with your ears), you don't need to worry about the scientific explanation, or someone else who doesn't own your ears telling you that you can't possibly hear what you hear. To you, the differences are real and not imagined.


Either you didn't understand his point, or you're trying to argue that placebo is something worth paying big bucks for. I, for one, have a finite budget, and so I can't really afford to pay for snake oil. Maybe you do, but that's blasphemy in my trade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
The bane of the skeptic's existence is the fact that you can try for yourself, often on 30-day or 60-day return. With every such trial, the skeptics tend to lose another skeptic.



I will agree that trials are the way to go, but I've seen way too many people claim to hear "obvious" differences while failing blind tests, so I'll remain a skeptic for now, thankyouverymuch.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395922
Post #12 of 97

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
Would you say that it is impossible to imagine (in the sense of "firmly believing in the existence of" etc.) things that do not actually exist at all - that it is impossible to make this kind of distinction between real and imagined at all?



No, but the quality and quantity of evidence re the beneficial effect of power cords is such that it cannot be attributed all to imagination.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395932
Post #13 of 97

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimage

Either you didn't understand his point, or you're trying to argue that placebo is something worth paying big bucks for. I, for one, have a finite budget, and so I can't really afford to pay for snake oil. Maybe you do, but that's blasphemy in my trade.



I understand the point, but "placebo" -- which is trotted out by every skeptic -- does not explain what people have heard, either in terms of the numbers of people who have heard differences, or the types of differences they have heard. I also find it hard to accept "placebo" as an arugment, because even the most die hard skeptics who try power cords often find that they hear a difference, and they then become believers (including yours truly). What's the "placebo" in such instances? They did not believe they would hear a difference, and then they did (contrary to their expectations); this doesn't seem to make sense if it is always a placebo effect.

As to the blind test issue, the limitations of these tests have been discussed in previous threads on this forum.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1396008
Post #14 of 97

shimage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Posts
199
Likes
0
We're making the same assumptions about different things here. I don't care where placebo comes from; I just think I see it all over the damn place. You don't know where these "improvements" come from, you just see them all over the damn place. I think we should just agree to disagree.

The entire argument hinges on one thing:
Quote:

As to the blind test issue, the limitations of these tests have been discussed in previous threads on this forum.


I haven't seen anything on this forum that would suggest to me that a properly administered blind test should not be the only arbiter of perceived differences. If a difference exists, and you really are hearing this difference in a not-blind comparison, then I don't see what the big problem is if I just don't tell you which one is which.

Like I said above, I think we have simply chosen a different set of fundamental postulates regarding what constitutes "proof" and what doesn't. I doubt there is anything either of us can say at this point to move the other in any way.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1396014
Post #15 of 97

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimage
I doubt there is anything either of us can say at this point to move the other in any way.


Probably right, which is why I urge people to try it? Have you?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top