How do you guys find new music?
Jan 23, 2005 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
With every tweak I make my system is getting closer and closer to perfection--the problem is that I don't feel I have enough music to really enjoy it. I can't stand to watch MTV/VH1/BET, etc. and most of the stuff my friends listen to is real garbage/pop that doesn't appeal to me. How do you guys discover new music? I can't remember the last CD I bought but I know I've made atleast 7 (conservative estimate) major equipment purchases since then...

What to do?

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 61
I dont get (in both senses) new "popular" and rock music. I just get CD versions of stuff I used to listen to in the 70s. For classical I just take a risk, I used to borrow Cds from the local library a lot.

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 61
Well I USED to download music. That was a good no-risk way to see what sucked and what didn't. And when you found an artist or style you liked, then you could go to the store and start buying CDs. I don't really do that anymore because it's too hard to find decent quality files that aren't broken, plus the legal threat sucks.

Now it's pretty much radio play (which is near worthless because they play the same hot new manufactured crap over and over), recommendations of friends (which is good if they've got decent tastes), and internet buzz (which is sort of YMMV).

For a brief tangent, I've always thought it would be smart of the record companies to release free, low quality copies of music from their artsists online as a form of advertisement. The idea is that it would gain them exposure and entice you to go buy the full quality album + liner notes, artwork, etc. This model isn't totally unheard of: you can buy poster prints of artwork for really cheap, though it's not the same as having a hand-signed, framed, and matted piece
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 61
I usually ask people that I don't know very well what kind of music they listen to. It helps me get to know them a little bit better and I can learn about new music.

Also I sometimes buy CDs that I read about on head-fi. The best of which has probably been Dummy by Portishead. Thank you for recommending that one, philodx.

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 61
mags reviews and friends/forums recommendations are the usual starting points for me, prior to purchasing... curiosity, fresh open minded approach and time can be good tools too...just wander on the net looking for a style you never really looked into before...amazon users lists/critics is one way to go for exemple... there will be tedious trials and errors...but that can be immensely rewarding if you find something you really like eventually and if that opens new "audio doors" to you.

Papy

Jan 23, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 61
The biggest sources of new music for me are magazines like Mojo or Uncut. I learn about the new stuff there, and check it out on Rhapsody after that. The key is being able to listen to entire albums on Rhapsody...that service is worth the monthly subscription fee, no doubt about it.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 61
Go to allmusic.com and just poke around. You'll read a lot about various artists and genres, and you will stumble over some interesting information if you just wander around without aim. From there you can buy a few mp3 downloads of artists that pique your interest, and presto! you have a new favorite band.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 61
I usually just download random songs off limewire and then see if i like it or not. It actually works for me because i seem to be adding hundreds of new songs a week to my iPod.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 61
I've bought lots of cds recently after using the listening stations at a local record store (Sonic Boom). Otherwise I go off the recommendations of my friends, most of whom are musicians, or from reviews in magazines like Wire.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 61
Go to AMG (like JG said above) or Amazon and find group you like now, there will be lists of similar goups for you to explore. Each one of these new groups when explored will generate another similar list etc etc......... soon you will have hundreds of new music ideas.

Or at AMG you can also explore "styles" of music you like which generates list, each group on list will also generate further list etc etc

AMG

Use the music forum here to discuss music.........it gets booring discussing headphones, amps, cables endlessly

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 61
Yep, allmusic.com is a very good place to start. Pick your favorite band and look it up. Then look under "similar artists" and you may discover new bands with a style you like. Then follow the links of their links of their links of their links...

You could also look at fan-forums for bands you like, they usually discus similar artists as well.

My latest purchase is Balligomingo "Beneath the Surface", which I had never heard of before, and I think I found it that way - listening to it right now
3000smile.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 61
XM radio,CD baby,allmusic,jazztimes mag,dustygroove.com,

Fred,I'm glad to hear that you're stepping off the gear-go-round and making the choice to listen to music more. I was worried about you and all the gear swaps and it's difficult to offer you useful advice when you're going through that.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I can't remember the last CD I bought but I know I've made atleast 7 (conservative estimate) major equipment purchases since then...

That's just wrong.

Anyway, I like insound.com for buying new music. They have a good selection of obscure stuff, good prices, fast shipping. Friendly if you want to call or email them, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back