How do you guys find new music?
Jan 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 61
I get most of my new music from friends or from http://www.last.fm (just listen to a group radio of the type of music you listen to, my favourite group is metal-brothers). Of couse a lot of my new music is old music, as I wasn't around in the 60's, 70's, or early 80's.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
Download high quality MP3s from the newsgroups and buy what ever I end up liking. Easy to search, thousands of full albums in high quality, tons of bands I never ever heard about. Another way is to check out related bands to the ones I like on sites like www.allmusic.com

People seem to forget about Usenet for MP3 downloads. You just go to a group for a genre you like, find something that looks interesting, and download it. The only thing that is frustrating is when you download copies of out of print or obscure CDs and you like the stuff you just downloaded and try to find it to buy it. And of course it is a passive system and you have to wait for stuff to show up. The vast majority of the music that ends up on file sharing networks came off of Usenet.

I find Shoutcast to be really useful for finding new music. It's free and good for non-major label stuff. I've discovered a huge amount of music with the various Shoutcast streams I've listened to. http://www.shoutcast.com

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #33 of 61
Often just ask someone else who likes the same stuff as me to recomend some more. Or another good way to find more stuff you might like is to go to amazon.com and go to the page of an album you like, then scroll down to where it says "Customers who bought titles by _____ also bought titles by these artists:" then click on some of those.

But if your looking for something really unique, find these two albums:
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Ephel Duath - The Painter's Pallete

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 61
Personally, I don't care for much 'popular' music - my tastes tend to be a little less mainstream than most - so finding new new music I like can be a challenge, but not impossible.

Here's some tips that work for me, but could apply to most anyone regardless of your personal tastes I suspect.

Listen to some radio stations that actually play new music. Clear Channel stations probably won't cut it - Maybe there's a college station or independant station in your area.

Many stations have internet streams and decent home pages with links to shows, playlists, artists, etc.. Radio K is a local college station for me. There, I've found some shows I can't stand, others that I love.

As an example, a favorite show of mine is Some Assembly Required. I've heard artists on a show, checked out old shows, followed links to the artists, found free MP3's, and generally have found amazing things that nobody could have had the foresight to have 'recommended'. Some of these artists share a very large portion of their material freely through their web sites. Check out ComfortStand for example - Many avantgard artists freely sharing entire CD's of their material for non commercial use.

If that type of music interests you, great - if not, use it as an example of how to follow a lead to something new.

My brother in law (and former room-mate) used to have a radio show on an independant station in my home town 'back in the day'. He's since had lots of very interesting jobs in the music business. If you want a shorcut to LOTS of music sites, internet radio sites, and the like, check out his site Janecek.com Highly Recommended resource. If you can't find something you like through these links, you're just not trying hard enough. There is a huge amount of potential though the links he's provided.

Happy Listening!

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
For a brief tangent, I've always thought it would be smart of the record companies to release free, low quality copies of music from their artsists online as a form of advertisement. The idea is that it would gain them exposure and entice you to go buy the full quality album + liner notes, artwork, etc. This model isn't totally unheard of: you can buy poster prints of artwork for really cheap, though it's not the same as having a hand-signed, framed, and matted piece
smily_headphones1.gif

actually, that would be an unmitigated disaster.

the vast majority of people would be completely satisfied with the LQ versions (napster/kazaa/morpheus/etc anyone? the VAST majority of mp3s there were <160kbps!!).

not feeling the need, they then would consequently not buy the 'HQ' albums.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 61
i usually just talk to my friends who like to download music what i should get, then i sample it at amazon, then i get it if i like it.

i used to download music until i got some better headphones, then i realized that i either have to download 300-400 megs worth of flac files, or i complain about the person ripping the cd's each time i listen to the mp3/ogg files. simply put, i had to find a better source. at first i used the library, but that got old really fast, especially when i literally had to polish the data side of a cd so i can actually READ it. then my friend suggested www.bmgmusic.com. it's basically a place that sells cd's at full price (ACK! i was willing to pay money for music, but NEVER full price!), but i realized that i can get 13 cd's for about $55-60 shipped, and i essentially NEVER pay full price for any cd at that store because of deals and stuff. so i decided to go for it. i never looked back. 40 cd's and counting... hoping to save another $55-60 and tell my roommate (who doesn't buy cd's) to become a member too
wink.gif
that'd be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and the one catch of bmgmusic is that they will send you a "selection" every month and then bill you for it. you can opt out of the selection by logging in once a month and saying "no thanks" to the selection before they ship it. that's all. and you'll get an email reminding you to opt out
smily_headphones1.gif
how nice of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
actually, that would be an unmitigated disaster.

the vast majority of people would be completely satisfied with the LQ versions (napster/kazaa/morpheus/etc anyone? the VAST majority of mp3s there were <160kbps!!).

not feeling the need, they then would consequently not buy the 'HQ' albums.

that's exactly why i'm saying (to this day) that copyright-protecting sacd's and dvd-audio is NOT the way to go to stop people from copying cd's; it's only deterring people like us from buying the music.... granted there are unprotected dvd-audio, but not all dvd-audio comes in unprotected form.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #38 of 61
The February issue of Stereophile has a section called "Editors' Picks: 80 Great Recordings." It describes the recordings that Stereophiles' editors consider to be the best of 2004.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #39 of 61
Just a note:

I checked the link of Tuberoller jazz ressources and, you dont need me to say that, it was quite good.

I like it when critics are not able to agree on almost any CDs....
biggrin.gif

http://www.jazztimes.com/reviews/cri...picks_data.cfm

I will check these guys from now on . Thanks for the info.

Amicalement

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #40 of 61
i rediscover tunes.

i was thinking to myself on the way to work - who was the best trumpet player tween the two - Clifford Brown or Chet Baker? Then I thought, "Wouldn't Wynton Marsalis like to be in this shootoff - bah, he wishes!" Then I thought "but are there any contemporaries of Wynton who blow as mean a horn?" Then I thought "Oh yeah - Jon Faddis! He blew the lights out in Dizzy's afro-cuban band at the Mellon Jazz festival a while ago." Then I thought "What was that song I liked of his? Hmm - "Into the Faddisphere?" I'm going to check that out when I get home."

And that's how I find one or two new songs a day - stream of conciousness netting some tunes from the past.

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Just a note:

I checked the link of Tuberoller jazz ressources and, you dont need me to say that, it was quite good.

I like it when critics are not able to agree on almost any CDs....
biggrin.gif

http://www.jazztimes.com/reviews/cri...picks_data.cfm

I will check these guys from now on . Thanks for the info.

Amicalement

Hmm should I check out Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963-1964 (Columbia/Legacy) by Miles Davis ? Alot of these reviewers seemed to like this reissue.

Edit - NM don't have the cash!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 61
I'll just regurgitate this link I picked up in the Music forum a couple of months ago:

http://www.musicplasma.com/

You enter an artist and it shows you others that are "linked" to that artist and each artist's relative influence on those around it. It shows all of it to you in a really neat visual presentation that looks like little planets all linked up .

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 61
I am always discovering and trying new music. My best suggestion is find someone that you know at work that listens to a different kind of music than you and start swapping CD's. I've been doing that with an older guy at work who has been giving me tons of Funk and other great stuff from the 70's and earlier. I have been lending him modern music in the same flavour and lost of the hidden gems that I've found in my travels.
tongue.gif

I second Tuberollers suggestion of CDBaby... great place for new music.

I would also like to suggest soulseek. It is a P2P file sharing program that has many rooms that are about different musical styles. Usually what I do is sit in the Trip Hop room and ask for and give suggestions. Then I will try out the album and if I like it I buy it and if I don't I delete it. This is how file sharing should be used in my opinion. It is also a great way to get albums that are impossible to find.
wink.gif

EDIT: Gopher... if you want some specific suggestions of music to try, post here or send me a PM of some of the stuff that you like currently and maybe I can suggest some 'new music' for you based on that.
cool.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #44 of 61
I use a combination of head-fi, other websites and word of mouth.

I also rely HEAVILY on Rhapsody. The music selection grows every day and you can usually find even small time publishers on there. The quality is suprisingly good for streaming music. Definitely good enough to figure out if you want to buy the CD. One really fun thing to do is to play 7 degrees with Rhapsody. Find a band you like and then start clicking on other bands like it, or contempories, or go genre chart hunting, ect. I've probably bought at least 15 new cds doing this.

I've also used allofmp3.com for this same purpose.

It really depends on the music:

Techno: Online buddies who are really into it. Usually recommend stuff they know I like.
Classical: Head-fi and other music sites, check out on Rhapsody or just buy the CD. Can't get enough variety when it comes to this genre.
Classic Rock: Uhm, pretty much have all the classic rock I can think I'd like anyway
biggrin.gif

Rock: Probably the same thing as classic rock. The "rock" coming out today, in my opinion, sucks. But I tend to buy here and there depending on suggestions, stuff I listen too on Rhapsody.

It may be that I'm growing older, but I find myself listening to new music only as a novelty. It wears off fast. I love to listen to new music, but I think I get more enjoyment out of listening to older music. Or it could be that the music industry has stagnated and commercialized and we're doomed to being spood fed AI chosen music hits.

Sometimes I wish I grew up in the 60s and not the 90s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #45 of 61
I've gotten great suggestions from Head-Fi. When I recently asked a head-fier buddy for some blues recommendations he sent me a package with 47 blues CD's for me to check out!

I also use cros-references from Amazon.com and then on occasion I will try a download through a P2P. If I like what I hear, then I will go buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back