How do you guys find new music?
Jan 23, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 61
I am in a more or less constant search for new music. I spend way too much money but it is my only true vice. [...or so I tell myself] I read and have valued the music review section of "Rolling Stone" magazine for years. I have recently subscribed to a magazine called "Tracks." "Tracks" is music review and music advertisments from cover to cover. I am liking it as a source of information on new music more and more. They do a good job reviewing music from various genres, where "Rolling Stone" is limited to popular music. However, in recent months my most valuble source of new music information is right here at Head-Fi. I get great reviews and leads to all kinds of new music. I have found "Davey's" advice to be particularly right-on. Thanks Davey!
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher

What to do?

If only you could read French....
wink.gif

One of the best source for classical music: Diapason. BTW, their audio gear section is quite good.

For Jazz, you can probably get access to the electronic edition, since you're a student, of Down Beat. Some jazz euro magazines are much more interesting.

Warning: the difficulty is, as usual, to learn decoding the personal taste of each reviewers. But with a bit of time you will do this almost with the precision of an exact science....
biggrin.gif

I enjoy reading about jazz probably at the same level as listening to it.

Amicalement

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #19 of 61
Well, I listen to mainly foreign music, so I just check the charts. DL some live performances/PVs/tracks, and if I like it, I like it. =)

Jan 23, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #20 of 61
I just go to certain forums and ask for people to state what bands they like with in an genre, I also ask if they like band A and know other bands that are like band A.

Other then that I read forums where people post what they like and I try to check some groups out that are not in my genre.

It is random and I will miss alot of groups I would have liked, but, oh well.

Jan 24, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 61
Always through friends. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for a particular friend who got me started with this whole audio thing. I'm not kidding.

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 61
I use Amazon a lot. Both for finding new music and checking it out. Finding it goes like DarkAngel said. And through the Amazon recommendations. And they've got music clips so you'll get an idea what the music is like. When I've heard or read about something I've never heard of I go to Amazon hoping they've got music clips of it.

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 61
Reading recommendations in jazz magazines, mostly "Jazzthing" (Germany's biggest jazz magazine) and listening to music at stores. Also through friends a lot.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #25 of 61
Going into music stores, bookstores, coffeeshops, and whenever I hear some cool music playing I ask them what it is. I also try out all those free listening stations in music stores.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 61
Download high quality MP3s from the newsgroups and buy what ever I end up liking. Easy to search, thousands of full albums in high quality, tons of bands I never ever heard about. Another way is to check out related bands to the ones I like on sites like www.allmusic.com

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 61
I have two methods one is I will go to a used music store (several actually) and listen for a couple of hours to diferent things (you can do this in new shops as well). I sometimes do this every day for a couple of weeks in a stretch. You soon develop a sense for new good tunes and learn to pick out good music fast. I learned to listen fast in West Indian record stores where a dj spins lps for customers and drops the needle for a bit on each tune. You get to listen to lots of new tunes in a shop like that and you buy lots of records that way too. So maybe a trip to the carribean is what you need.

I know people from different places and will ask them what is hot in their country right now. If you know a good variety of people this works. They also send me stuff they like from time to time and I send them things.

I like to give certain people my favorite album or two from the past year for christmas, that way I know that I haven't given them it before and I try to expand their horizons. So get people to do that for you especially if you have a musically inclined friend/relative who buys you a gift and you know they are always wondering what to get for you the person with everything.

I don't think 15,000 recordings are all that many really. I think head fi's collective collection is easily 10 times that. Easily.

The male blue whale has a 2 metre long penis.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #28 of 61
you need to find indie sites if you like rock or indie music at all, there are a ton of really obscure sites that sell exclusively indie bands. i have reco'd www.burningshed.com so many times on headfi and i think very few people have ever checked it out, you need to read through the descriptions of the bands and the music to find what you might be interested in but i have found a ton of new bands that youd never hear of on any site unless you specifically look for them. pm minya, he knows of a boatload of websites where you can find lots of obsure but very good music to try. hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #29 of 61
i get alot of my music from ppl in school (one advantage to high school)

other than that amazon.com has some good recomendations everyonce in a while

here on head-fi is always a good option too

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 61
Pretty much by asking people whose musical tastes I know and respect. Most of the bands I like I heard about from my brother; he also seems to find good alternative bands. Most other bands that are 'new' to me come from people I work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back