How do you afford list
Dec 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #92 of 112
In answer to the original post, I've been a well-compensated intern at a very large corporation for 6 months, and I'm now in the process of transitioning into a much nicer permanent position. No significant debts, college tuition paid with scholarship. Only expenses are smart phone plan, apartment/internet (shared with roommates), car insurance.   

I don't have stuff as fancy as some people, but I have stuff a lot fancier than most. It's all about what you are willing to budget. People with less income than me could have a better setup than me, if they also have less other hobbies and expenses. People with more income could have a lesser setup because they want to save more money than I do. Income plays a big role, absolutely, but it's not the final word in what a person buys.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #93 of 112
Save up and perform computer jobs here and there.

Unfortunately, being an undergrad in biomed research, paid internships are a bit lacking and highly competitive since my field doesn't have much marketable work in industry.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #94 of 112
Seems to be that there aren't many hustlers on headfi.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #95 of 112
mmmmmh 3rd year med student with more loan money than he knows what to do with =D  Not the most healthy way to fund hobbies but I figure you only live once...
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #96 of 112
WHAT. Only once....someoneshouldatoldme

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #98 of 112
Holy thread necromancy batman.

I think it's a bit too much personal information to ask strangers what they do on a public forum.

I'm not going to say what I do, but the key to affording high-end gear when you don't have a high-end salary is to trade your way up. Buy smart, don't buy into FOTMs, buy gear that holds its value well, and maintain a good seller reputation. Then, you can get a modest rig, resell it at no loss and get a slightly more expensive rig, and so on. It will take some time (years in my case) but in the end you end up with something that you never thought you could have afforded in the first place. And if it's still quality gear that's been treated well, you can redeem its value pretty much at any point.

Remember, most of us in this hobby started out with something cheap and nasty that we thought was good, and now look at us. It's possible for just about anybody, as long as you're smart about it.

Oh, and lastly... if a non-essential purchase negatively financially affects your life in any way, you can't afford it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #99 of 112

Quote:
Holy thread necromancy batman.

I think it's a bit too much personal information to ask strangers what they do on a public forum.

I'm not going to say what I do, but the key to affording high-end gear when you don't have a high-end salary is to trade your way up. Buy smart, don't buy into FOTMs, buy gear that holds its value well, and maintain a good seller reputation. Then, you can get a modest rig, resell it at no loss and get a slightly more expensive rig, and so on. It will take some time (years in my case) but in the end you end up with something that you never thought you could have afforded in the first place. And if it's still quality gear that's been treated well, you can redeem its value pretty much at any point.

Remember, most of us in this hobby started out with something cheap and nasty that we thought was good, and now look at us. It's possible for just about anybody, as long as you're smart about it.

Oh, and lastly... if a non-essential purchase negatively financially affects your life in any way, you can't afford it.

This mean speaks the truth in its purest form. I started with these and worked my way up to these

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #100 of 112
I'm almost 16, I just save up any money I can get from mowing lawns and setting up peoples networks/computers etc. If you want something bad enough, eventually you can get it if you are determined enough. 

I have a pair of K702's, FiiO E9, M-Audio AV-40's, and last but not least, a gaming PC.
(Built it myself, cost almost 2K) 

k701smile.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #101 of 112
you can save up 2 thousand dollars mowing lawns? Chhyyeahhh ok.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #102 of 112
I work in IT, but I never buy cash.

I use credit cards, once they're paid off it time to buy more gear!

Also tax check time is a good time to splurge.

on my list for tax time is Sennheiser HD650, Ultrasone Pro900, maybe Grado sr325i (i wanna demo them first).

or if i get a chance to demo them and i'm really wow'ed a pair of Audeze LCD2 R2

also a Schiit Bifrost DAC, and an Audio Technica ATLP120 turntable.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #103 of 112
I buy used.

I don't do hoarding.

That way I spend some, I gain back some.

Is the upgraditis force so strong that you can't resist buying a HD600 two months after you got a DT880? 

Careful people. Don't get too obsessed in chasing that "audio nirvana". For most people, there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

For most, they'll reach a certain point in their audio journey where they say enough spending is enough, and to be content with their current rig.

You force yourself to be content with what you have, but you're never really happy with your gear.

Of course by then it will be too late. You've sold one of your kidneys, your children and possibly your house to fund your obsession. 

Wat do now? Wat do?

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #104 of 112
chasing the dragon.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #105 of 112

Quote:
Well, my financial situation has been pretty interesting throughout my whole life.

I actually went on a time-traveling adventure in a highly modified Delorean DMC-12 to the year 2015 where I acquired a copy of a sports almanac containing the outcomes of 50 years worth of sporting events before returning to 1985 and becoming a professional gambler. While betting on the 1993 Kentucky Derby at Ceasers Palace, I was framed by the owners of the the Bellagio, The Mirage, and the MGM Grand. I served four years in federal prison and plotted my revenge the whole time. When I got out, I assembled a team of 10 others and pulled off the biggest heist in the history of Las Vegas (which involved pulling a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever), and walked away with $150 million. This is when I bought most of my audio equipment, which I refuse to sell (except for other gear) because of sentimental reasons. Any way, through poor investments (AOL, Lycos and Enron), I ended up moving back in with my parents in West Philadelphia, spending most of my days on the playground just chilling out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, when a couple of guys, they were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighbourhood. Well, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air".

I live there now and work for a telemarketing agency.

read this thread out of curiosity. had to give this guy props. this would make a great spoof movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back