How do you afford list
May 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #63 of 112
Honestly I just buy from desperate people who are selling on craiglist and I just pawn the stuff on ebay. Some people's logic really fails when they see cash in person.

But no honestly I get by because head-fi and good/kind people let me. Most of the people here peddle their wares because they're after something else and they want to share their experiences through their gear. Some guy just sold me a pair of Grado SR-60's with bowl pads for 45 bucks shipped. These haven't even been burned in yet, I can tell. A lot of people on this community have accumulated wealth just from age and some aren't in it for the money and would just trade to see cans go to good people.

When I asked why he didn't sell the things on HF, he just told me he wanted somebody who wasn't familiar with the brand to enjoy them... I saluted him but then he gave them to me anyway!

May 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #64 of 112
im an architect. but to fund my hobby, i just make it 1 hobby at a time haha. and right now my hobby is solely focused on being an audiophile.

May 14, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #68 of 112
Umm High school student...
and guess what? years and years of birthday money savings =]
Got my M50's,..... 3 more years to go for the e7!! Life is goood no? Well deal with it lol

May 14, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #69 of 112
Besides the countless KSC-75s I've bought for $6-15, I own only a couple pairs of "real" headphones, my Audio Technica A500s and Denon D7000s, so I've stayed in the black pretty easily 
cool.gif

May 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #70 of 112
Use previous hobbies as a stepping stone :)

I remember I was into Nerf guns. I bought a gun called the Longshot and another called the Spectre. Turns out, the Longshot (the orthodynamics of Nerf guns, discontinued) and the Spectre (the Fostex T50RP of Nerf) bumped up in demand and price!

Let me give you a hint:
Longshot - bought @ $40
Spectre - bought @ $20
Both sold - @ $120

PROFIT

OFF TO THE HEADPHONES SHOP :D

May 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #71 of 112
I'm a student and work at an insurance company.

Quote:
this. i have a cousin who's a doctor. he makes over $200,000 a year and has no kids. but because he spends money like a madman, he told me has over $100k in credit card debt and now has terrible credit, so he can't buy a home or get new credit cards.

i, on the other hand, make a lot less money than him, live in Manhattan, and have zero debt. i don't buy anything i don't have the cash for.

I really feel like this is the single most important thing when spending money on hobbies. Whether it was cars or headphones, I NEVER spend money that I don't have. I'll use my credit card to buy things, but only because I want the reward points. Even before doing so, I'll make sure my checking account will have enough money to pay the credit card off before pulling the trigger on a purchase. Keeping this one simple rule, I've been able to maintain a pretty good credit score, unlike some of my other friends who spend money that they don't even have without thinking- as a result, causing them to file for bankruptcy and/or having an incredibly poor credit score.

May 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #72 of 112

Quote:

I remember I was into Nerf guns. I bought a gun called the Longshot and another called the Spectre. Turns out, the Longshot (the orthodynamics of Nerf guns, discontinued) and the Spectre (the Fostex T50RP of Nerf) bumped up in demand and price!

Let me give you a hint:
Longshot - bought @ $40
Spectre - bought @ $20
Both sold - @ $120

PROFIT

wow thats pretty interesting lol since i have a long shot too.  i bought it a while ago to use at a party.  tho i did modify it just a bit by removing the air restrictor and putting an extra spring in there. 

I also save up the lunch money my school gives me when we have to play an away tennis game.  its a decent 140 or 150 a semester.

May 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #73 of 112

Quote:

Let me give you a hint:
Longshot - bought @ $40
Spectre - bought @ $20
Both sold - @ $120

PROFIT

That's the way. Keep going!

I collect vintage synths. One of my deals:-

Roland Jupiter 8 bought for £2,200. Sold for £5,400.

Result!

May 15, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #74 of 112

Quote:
wow thats pretty interesting lol since i have a long shot too.  i bought it a while ago to use at a party.  tho i did modify it just a bit by removing the air restrictor and putting an extra spring in there. 

I also save up the lunch money my school gives me when we have to play an away tennis game.  its a decent 140 or 150 a semester.

Not to go off-topic, modifying them like that should bump up the price an extra $20 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back