How do the old Shure E4C's compare to the modern IEMs?
May 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FlyPenFly

100+ Head-Fier
I found my old pair of E4Cs and have been listening to them a bit. I normally listen to Nuforce NE-7M and the Audeo PFE's. To be honest, I think the sound better than both although the PFE has a bit better upper end and feel faster, the E4Cs seem to beat them completely in mid range and upper to middle bass. They just sound very natural.

I was wondering how the E4Cs might compare to something like the RE0s or Klipsch Custom 3s or anything else really recently?

I was also thinking about picking up the Visang R02 for the gym because I only listen to rap or techno at the gym and need a beat around pair of earphones. Thoughts?

May 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 6
I have to agree. I had the E4c's and loved them. In some ways, I found them better than my current SE530's...

May 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I found my old pair of E4Cs and have been listening to them a bit. I normally listen to Nuforce NE-7M and the Audeo PFE's. To be honest, I think the sound better than both although the PFE has a bit better upper end and feel faster, the E4Cs seem to beat them completely in mid range and upper to middle bass. They just sound very natural.

I was wondering how the E4Cs might compare to something like the RE0s or Klipsch Custom 3s or anything else really recently?

I was also thinking about picking up the Visang R02 for the gym because I only listen to rap or techno at the gym and need a beat around pair of earphones. Thoughts?

I used E4c for almost two years and i really liked them but Klipsch Custom 3 has better midrange details and deep punchy bass with Klipsch signature warm sound(good for rock, instrumental pop, rap, techno). I will also recommend Panasonic HJE900 for these genres too and it's made with quality matrial n feel sturdy(user replaceble cable).

May 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 6
I still enjoy my E4c/SCL4 after almost 5 years.  These, my Ety ER-4P/S, E5c (now SCL5), the SE500/530 and my Triple.fi Pros, all at least 4 years old by design (and 19 years for the Ety), are still good.  They may not be quite as competitive as some newer models at similar prices, but I still get the collection out to listen and enjoy; at this point it just comes down to personal preference.

These will remain references based on their design and how they affected the industry when they were released.  Typical to headphones, updates don't always mean progress, although I am extremely impressed with the recent evolution of dynamic driver-based IEMs from Sennheiser and Monster (among others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back