How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,327 of 3,657
Not at all many things are proven. Just not everything.
Your argument boils down to that everything in science is a theory and thus is unproven and can be easily ignored in favor of pseudo-science.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,328 of 3,657
Theoretical scientists get the extra word for a reason. Let's not mistake their work with that of someone measuring an audio signal. Same with the enigma that is gravity, or ”missing” matter in the universe, against people who decide that things always happen as long as they felt like it did
You sound foolish. You're attitude is because you are insecure. Stop looking at "frequency charts" and listen......
Some functions require overconfidence, but figuring out the truth is rarely among them.
We also probably have a divergence of opinion about what it means to listen.

Einstein was maybe not The G.O.A.T, but not far from it.

Synergistic research :deadhorse:. How to lose all credibility in 2 magestic words.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,329 of 3,657
Theoretical scientists get the extra word for a reason. Let's not mistake their work with that of someone measuring an audio signal. Same with the enigma that is gravity, or ”missing” matter in the universe, against people who decide that things always happen as long as they felt like it did
Some functions require overconfidence, but figuring out the truth is rarely among them.
We also probably have a divergence of opinion about what it means to listen.
Einstein was maybe not The G.O.A.T, but not far from it.
Synergistic research :deadhorse:. How to lose all credibility in 2 magestic words.

That's a "HOT" take...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,330 of 3,657
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,331 of 3,657
Most of Head-Fi believe cables change the sound.
This sad fact gives us an answer to the question asked in this thread: "How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference?"

The answer clearly is: You don't!

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #2,332 of 3,657
OK... so?
I was off topic, except for that particular IEM is noted as one that after a while the community find it to sound lackluster. At that point the solution is to change to a slightly different cable to “fix” the issue.

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,333 of 3,657
This sad fact gives us an answer to the question asked in this thread: "How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference?"

The answer clearly is: You don't!
He question also implies another: do cables even make an audible difference?

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,334 of 3,657
Only to the people that are convinced they so. Placebo is powerful.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #2,335 of 3,657
Lets put your money where your mouth is. Next Can Jam you take your HD800 and some cables of choice. They can be copper, silver, twisted, whatever you want as long as its just a wire, not something with an inductive, resistive or capacitive network. We will then hold a controlled ABX test and if you can differentiate between the cables I will pay you $2000, and if you cannot you will pay me $2000. Deal?

I'll even fly to the US to do it, but you pay for my ticket if you cannot pass the test.
Why does it have to be Can Jam? One thing you are not thinking of is Metallurgy. Silver cables and copper cables sound different. Gold connectors and Rhodium Connectors sound different. Processes like cryo'ing and quantum tunneling sound different. AWG sounds different. My 32 gauge headphone cable sounds different than the 24AWG cable. Will happy to organize a meet so we can do this in a public setting with a crowd. Only organize around 50 meets in the last 15 years. I have nothing to hide like Amir from ASR or Gene from audioholics. Bring it to Seattle. My gear is dialed in ready to go. BRING IT TO SEATTLE, I AM WAITING!!!! Beat your chest all you want on the internet. Do it in Person!!!

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #2,336 of 3,657
Yes they do. If they’re not connected, there will be no audio.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #2,338 of 3,657
The time that the recording took place is lost. Lost in time. There is no way to retrieve it even if it could be somehow played along side the recording for reference. Much of the time the end result may even be better than the original. Muti-track and effects can conjure up an amazing artistic statement, but it is not the original music.

So the only way to judge reproduction is emotion. Emotional response is all we have. The studio monitors are all different and not one studio sounds the same as the next. So these circles of confusion are what we have of a reproduction. Some may be closer in some ways and other much farther (from the original) away. All we can hope to achieve is something entertaining. There is no professional standard of recording......maybe someday?
So just a thought, if recording was done with different type of cable connecting to the microphone, would the sound be different?
Think about the variables in replay. Especially full size. Every transducer fits the listeners head different. The outside of the ear amplifies the sound different for each listener. The angle of the drivers/ the seal of the cups. Everything is different for each individual. That is in addition to different volume levels, as each driver has a variable frequency response to volume. What is the listening level? The ear drum is a different distance per listener. And on and on.....

So every frequency response graph has to be taken with a grain of salt as 80% of a couplers sound is FR. The rest (the less tangible) such as imaging, dynamics, soundstage....everything changes at different volume levels.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,339 of 3,657
Why does it have to be Can Jam? One thing you are not thinking of is Metallurgy. Silver cables and copper cables sound different. Gold connectors and Rhodium Connectors sound different. Processes like cryo'ing and quantum tunneling sound different. AWG sounds different. My 32 gauge headphone cable sounds different than the 24AWG cable. Will happy to organize a meet so we can do this in a public setting with a crowd. Only organize around 50 meets in the last 15 years. I have nothing to hide like Amir from ASR or Gene from audioholics. Bring it to Seattle. My gear is dialed in ready to go. BRING IT TO SEATTLE, I AM WAITING!!!! Beat your chest all you want on the internet. Do it in Person!!!

Anyone who ever needed evidence that marketing works and placebo is powerful can stop looking now.

Everything makes a difference and none of it can/has be measured showing audible impact other than extreme edge cases and IEM cables due to poor IEM design. And these things only matter in audio, not any other application of cables and those materials. According to those who have spent thousands anyway...

The internet tough guy routine is a nice added touch.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,340 of 3,657
Anyone who ever needed evidence that marketing works and placebo is powerful can stop looking now.

Everything makes a difference and none of it can/has be measured showing audible impact other than extreme edge cases and IEM cables due to poor IEM design. And these things only matter in audio, not any other application of cables and those materials. According to those who have spent thousands anyway...

The internet tough guy routine is a nice added touch.
All I'm saying what ever you believe is do it in a crowd, don't keep it a secret. Been doing it going on 15 years putting on meets in the NorthWest. I can organize more meets, not a big deal. Have a ton of meet threads here. Have a long track record putting on meets. Showing in person is what I do. So people if you have a beef, do it at a local meet with locals in attendance. Take pictures, ask for thoughts from the attendee's. Do it, just don't cry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back