How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,007 of 3,657
Don’t we all should close this thread? No winner or loser here.
It needs a very good system to hear the difference in cables, if your set up is under $2000,forget it and stop debating :)

This isn't a contest, it is about learning and sharing information. What type of cables are you comparing? Are there measurable differences that are significant enough to potentially create an identifiable audible variation? Cables can clearly make an audible difference, but without more information, we can't make any logical assessment about the situation.

There are plenty of mind-numbingly illogical claims being made, but with very little detail provided to verify, so it is challenging to discuss further in any coherent manner. Though, I believe most of the people making outrageous and unscientific claims are simply trolling the forum and not participating to gain any knowledge.

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,008 of 3,657
Don’t we all should close this thread? No winner or loser here.
It needs a very good system to hear the difference in cables, if your set up is under $2000,forget it and stop debating :)
and how do you back up that so very suspicious claim?
what electrical characteristics magically kicks in after 2000$? is 2000$ the threshold of audio fidelity getting above standard cable or something? I was under the impression that price correlated very poorly with fidelity and not at all with sound signatures, so I'm wondering if you have information I don't have.

really it's such a silly correlation to make.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,009 of 3,657

I have many thousands of dollars invested in my system and I've never found a cable that sounded different from another. But my system sounds great because I spend my money wisely on things that matter. Cables don't matter.

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #1,011 of 3,657
To you, is the proper addition. Open-minded people, like for example certain newcomers may interpret expressions like that as the only truth.

Objectively cables don't really matter as long as the electrical properties such as resistance are in the reasonable range considering the usage. Of course it matters if you try to use say 10 Ω cables with speakers. It will definitely affect the sound in a nasty way, but who does that? Snake oil doesn't lower the resistance, which is:

R = L / (σ*A),​

were L is the length of the cable (in meters), σ is conductivity (A/Vm) and A is the cross-sectional area (m²) of the cable. You don't see snake oil in this equation. Nor do you see snake oil in the equations for capacitance, inductance, skin effect etc. Audio cables don't even behave as transmission lines, because they are not kilometers/miles long and 20 kHz is the highest frequency we have to worry about. Audio cable are relatively short and operate at relativaly low frequencies. That's why audio cable are not that demanding except for mechanical durability perhaps.

Subjectively cables do matter to some people, but not for the reasons these people assume. The real reason is placebo effect running wild not restrained by the objective facts above, but instead amplified by the marketing speaches of snake oil sellers who take advantage of weak minded ignorant people.

Unless you are a very wealthy person (millionaire/billionaire), your resources are limited. Use the money wisely were it matters the most. One should invest tons of money into acoustics/speakers/headphones before even thinking about cables. After you have superb acoustics and superb speakers positioned optimally in your room is it time to think if you should upgrade your speaker wires because skin effect and resistance of your current wires perhaps causes 0.2 dB dip at 20 kHz. Maybe not, because you can't hear much anything above 16-17 kHz anyway. However if the same thin cable causes reduced damping factor, upgrading the cables (not snake oil, but thicker normal cables) might improve the bass.

The most expensive RCA cable I have ever bough was the cheapest Cambridge Audio cable (17 euros). It doesn't sound any different from cheapo RCA cables, but it is mechanically robust and reliable which the cheapo RCA cables are not. It has served me well for almost 2 decades between my CD player and amplifier. Most of my RCA cables are DIY cables which is a good way to get reliable relatively cheap (~5 euros) cables at correct (shorter) length.

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #1,012 of 3,657
I was joking. Interconnects should all sound the same. If they don’t, there is probably a manufacturing defect and all you have to do is return it and replace it with a six dollar Amazon basics or Monoprice cable
While all reasonable, well designed, well chosen and in good repair interconnect cables should sound the same, there are lots of cables that don't meet all those conditions.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #1,013 of 3,657
Can you link me to a cable at Amazon that isn’t audibly transparent?

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,014 of 3,657
I just wanted to acknowledge a serious discussion of this matter after my two ridiculous posts. I truly am not feeling well and needed a laugh, even if at my own expense. Carry on.

Objectively cables don't really matter as long as the electrical properties such as resistance are in the reasonable range considering the usage. Of course it matters if you try to use say 10 Ω cables with speakers. It will definitely affect the sound in a nasty way, but who does that? Snake oil doesn't lower the resistance, which is:

R = L / (σ*A),​

were L is the length of the cable (in meters), σ is conductivity (A/Vm) and A is the cross-sectional area (m²) of the cable. You don't see snake oil in this equation. Nor do you see snake oil in the equations for capacitance, inductance, skin effect etc. Audio cables don't even behave as transmission lines, because they are not kilometers/miles long and 20 kHz is the highest frequency we have to worry about. Audio cable are relatively short and operate at relativaly low frequencies. That's why audio cable are not that demanding except for mechanical durability perhaps.

Subjectively cables do matter to some people, but not for the reasons these people assume. The real reason is placebo effect running wild not restrained by the objective facts above, but instead amplified by the marketing speaches of snake oil sellers who take advantage of weak minded ignorant people.

Unless you are a very wealthy person (millionaire/billionaire), your resources are limited. Use the money wisely were it matters the most. One should invest tons of money into acoustics/speakers/headphones before even thinking about cables. After you have superb acoustics and superb speakers positioned optimally in your room is it time to think if you should upgrade your speaker wires because skin effect and resistance of your current wires perhaps causes 0.2 dB dip at 20 kHz. Maybe not, because you can't hear much anything above 16-17 kHz anyway. However if the same thin cable causes reduced damping factor, upgrading the cables (not snake oil, but thicker normal cables) might improve the bass.

The most expensive RCA cable I have ever bough was the cheapest Cambridge Audio cable (17 euros). It doesn't sound any different from cheapo RCA cables, but it is mechanically robust and reliable which the cheapo RCA cables are not. It has served me well for almost 2 decades between my CD player and amplifier. Most of my RCA cables are DIY cables which is a good way to get reliable relatively cheap (~5 euros) cables at correct (shorter) length.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,018 of 3,657
I'm not goofing around. I've never encountered an interconnect that sounds any different than any other. I am totally serious. Amazon allows me to buy things and try them out and return them for a full refund if I don't want to keep them. If someone can point me to an interconnect that sounds different, I will buy it and test it. I'm trying to find something out and thread crapping isn't helpful to me.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,019 of 3,657
My sincere apologies.

I'm not goofing around. I've never encountered an interconnect that sounds any different than any other. I am totally serious. Amazon allows me to buy things and try them out and return them for a full refund if I don't want to keep them. If someone can point me to an interconnect that sounds different, I will buy it and test it. I'm trying to find something out and thread crapping isn't helpful to me.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,020 of 3,657
no problem. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back