How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #2,656 of 3,657
Well who wears the willful ignorance is in the eye of the beholder, but you had fun? Right?

I suspect a good number of people who viewed this thread were able to figure out the money that they might have spent on “boutique” audio cables would be far better invested elsewhere. So yes, there is some satisfaction there.

It’s also fun to see a few members repeatedly seagull this thread - fly in, add nothing of value, crap over everything, then leave. So edgy and clever…

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,657 of 3,657
I'm always enjoying myself. If I wasn't, I'd be doing something else instead.

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,659 of 3,657
Do you live near a radio broadcasting tower or something?

My dad was a ham radio operator, and his antenna was strung right over the middle of the house. When he would go on the air, we could hear him talking on the stereo in the living room, even when it was turned off!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #2,661 of 3,657
What kind of problems are you experiencing that you need extra shielding? Would it be possible to solve them at the source?

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,663 of 3,657
If it is consistent even when you move things around, that is almost certainly a ground loop. Shielded cables won’t help. You should set up a ground wire and go hunting for the culprit.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,665 of 3,657
You're making stuff up.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,666 of 3,657
One cable is louder than the other. I have recorded and measured it.
How can they be the same when they differ in such a fundamental thing?
This is simple voltage division. The voltage generated by the amp is divided across the output impedance of the amp, the impedance of the cable and the impedance of the headphone driver. Lets assume all the impedances are purely resistive (very much the case at 1 kHz) that the impedances at 1 kHz are:

Amp output: 2 Ω
Cable 1: 1 Ω
Cable 2: 4 Ω
Headphones: 32 Ω

Using cable 1 the headphone gets 100 * 32 / (2+1+32) % = 91 % of the amp voltage.
Using cable 2 the headphone gets 100 * 32 / (2+4+32) % = 84 % of the amp voltage.

The difference in sound pressure level is:

20 * log10 (38/35) = 0.7 dB.

This difference is not considered a difference, because it can (and should) be compensated by turning the volume up by 0.7 dB in case of cable 2.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,667 of 3,657
He didn't find any cable with a different level and he didn't do any measurements. He's making stuff up. He's just baiting us to get us to go all scientific trying to get us to think up a theory to prove his boloney so he can run us in circles again.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,668 of 3,657
He didn't find any cable with a different level and he didn't do any measurements. He's making stuff up. He's just baiting us to get us to go all scientific trying to get us to think up a theory to prove his boloney so he can run us in circles again.
All I did was telling him eating 91 % or 84 % of a chocolate bar doesn't make the chocolate taste any different. Regardless of whether he has made any measurements or not, he doesn't have legs to stand on on this front.

Oct 10, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,669 of 3,657
He wouldn’t know how to measure anything if his life depended on it.

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #2,670 of 3,657
He wouldn’t know how to measure anything if his life depended on it.
Does this mean the correct way to react to his posts is to reply "You're making stuff up."?

His lack of knowledge of how to measure is not my problem. My problem is to know how to react to his claims correctly. Why is this a problem for me? Because you come at me when I try something and I have to justify my efforts so that I don't look like a troll feeder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back