How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,966 of 3,657
Here's your science on USB Audio and USB Cable courtesy of Gordon Rankin, the creator of Asynchronous USB for audio and inventor of Audioquest Dragonfly. This is about 50% of the knowledge drop and the rest is in the Darko article:

https://darko.audio/2016/05/gordon-rankin-on-why-usb-audio-quality-varies/

“All data moving between a host computer and a device over USB is done electrically. There are different speeds and different protocols that determine how a device and the host communicate.”

“Any interface between two points cannot be totally error-free. If you use a hard drive over USB, Ethernet or Firewire there are transmission errors. That means the transmitting device is told to resend the packet that has the error in it. Most of the time this is one bit in a packet size of length X.”

“Remember, the carrier is modulated on the data so the larger X, the bigger chance of errors. Also the faster the interface the more chance that there will be an error.”

“The three main USB transmission protocols are Bulk, Interrupt and Isochronous. Bulk (used for data transfer to a hard drive) and Interrupt are error-correcting. Isochronous (used for audio) is not.”

“Bulk and Interrupt are immediately NAK (negative acknowledgement). The receiver is designed to detect a bad packet immediately and the packet is resent.”

“For USB audio, the receiving device is basically translating a serial stream of data with a clock interwoven throughout. At the end of the packet sits some sort of block check. If the block check does not match the data then that packet is flagged as an error.”

“With Isoschronous USB transmission, packets are sent without any error correction / resending. But guess what? This is the USB protocol used for audio frames. The bad news is they are not error-free. The good news is these Isochronous frames are afforded the highest priority in the system.”

“A couple of years ago, I bought an expensive Tektronix USB setup. I have had protocol analyzers since designing my first USB DACS some twelve years ago. The Tektronix is useful because it allows me to see errors better both in electrical and data packets.”

“The big thing that many people don’t realize is that not all USB ports are created equal. Not all USB cables are created equal and it’s the same for devices and even operating systems. Since getting the Tektronix I have tested probably thirty different USB cables on the fifteen computers in my lab. These computers run a variety of operating systems and the Tektronix results vary between computers even when the cable remains the same. Let’s just say it’s not as pretty as I thought it would be.”

“Just a couple of things to think about in regards to USB ports. First, look to see what else is located on that tree. Each USB port can handle 127 devices. Sometimes there are additional ports hidden (inside your computer) and there are internal devices sitting on those ports – this could be the same tree that is hosting your USB DAC”...

"Speed plays an important part in all of this too. You may have heard the terms UAC1 and UAC2 – these are USB Audio Class protocols. UAC1 was designed for Full Speed device and host interaction. A data packet is sent every 1ms. In that packet are up to 1023 frames.”

“In high speed or UAC2 those 1024 frames each contain eight micro frames. Therefore, the amount of data we can send over UAC2 is basically eight times greater than that of UAC1. But with more data at faster speeds comes more errors and system configuration becomes harder. I almost never see an error on a UAC1 device, on a UAC2 device I can pretty much count on errors in both directions”...

"To summarise: the problem with USB Audio is that Isochronous USB frames are not error-correcting. Therefore the sonic outcome of any USB system is dependent on the host to device differential.”

“Twelve years ago, I pretty much thought as many people do today: that USB was the answer to our S/PDIF quandaries. In some ways, it is a good deal better. We have Asynchronous Isochronous so the device and host know about sample rates, bit rates, clocking options and a host of other things. But cables make a difference, computer brand and quality make a difference and even the device makes a difference.”

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,967 of 3,657
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #1,969 of 3,657
Einstein or jack-the-lad , it is true!
Unless we are under the delusion that
we know it all now - there is nothing we can not measure.

Even if something can be measured, it might have less impact on the sound than, IE the air conditioning in the space where the performance was recorded, or, the hiss from the original analog session tapes.

You'll hear those far, faaaaar more readily than any measured difference between USB cables, or betw. DACs.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,970 of 3,657
Einstein or jack-the-lad , it is true!
Unless we are under the delusion that
we know it all now - there is nothing we can not measure.
Yes, I understand the spirit of the quote. But he seemed to be using it to say, "even the GREATEST SCIENTIST THAT EVER LIVED says you're wrong!" An appeal to authority.
I just wanted to say, not so fast!

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,971 of 3,657
Even if something can be measured, it might have less impact on the sound than, IE the air conditioning in the space where the performance was recorded, or, the hiss from the original analog session tapes.

You'll hear those far, faaaaar more readily than any measured difference between USB cables, or betw. DACs.

Depends on the cables and what you test on. We tested on the Chord Dave + Audeze Lcd-4Z and we were able to tell the difference.

On my home system (Hugo TT2 + Cayin Ha-300 tube amp + Audeze LCD-3) I was able to tell the difference between the Kimber AG and Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserva Elite USB cable.

I definitely have much more visceral sound with more dynamic impact and clarity VS the Kimber, which I felt was warmer but more veiled.

Have you tested cables yourself and on what system?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,972 of 3,657
By the way, I'd love to hear you guys comment on the Gordon Rankin quote I have in the previous post on “the three main USB transmission protocols are Bulk, Interrupt and Isochronous. Bulk (used for data transfer to a hard drive) and Interrupt are error-correcting. Isochronous (used for audio) is not.”

It's a great study on the engineering tech behind USB transfer and how error prone isochronous USB audio can be.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,973 of 3,657
Yes, I understand the spirit of the quote. But he seemed to be using it to say, "even the GREATEST SCIENTIST THAT EVER LIVED says you're wrong!" An appeal to authority.
I just wanted to say, not so fast!
well, hmmmm
I share a small part of that school of thought with him too.
World Is full of people who believe too much in their ownreasoning and lab measurements.
I am a firm "believer" that as yet we can not measure everything fully, and the proof of the pudding is not in the recipe or the temperature of the oven!
at the same time, I am a firm believer that cables can be made badly, but there is no magic for making proper cables.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,974 of 3,657
well, hmmmm
I share a small part of that school of thought with him too.
World Is full of people who believe too much in their ownreasoning and lab measurements.
I am a firm "believer" that as yet we can not measure everything fully, and the proof of the pudding is not in the recipe or the temperature of the oven!
at the same time, I am a firm believer that cables can be made badly, but there is no magic for making proper cables.

Yes, not magic, just better engineering.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,975 of 3,657
Depends on the cables and what you test on. We tested on the Chord Dave + Audeze Lcd-4Z and we were able to tell the difference.

On my home system (Hugo TT2 + Cayin Ha-300 tube amp + Audeze LCD-3) I was able to tell the difference between the Kimber AG and Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserva Elite USB cable.

I definitely have much more visceral sound with more dynamic impact and clarity VS the Kimber, which I felt was warmer but more veiled.

Have you tested cables yourself and on what system?

If you understand how USB cables work, then you know that what you're talking about just isn't possible. The 1's and 0's get to their destination or they don't. Nothing about warmth, or veils is what would even happen if there was a problem with a usb cable. Lost digits would result in errors, what you're describing has nothing to do with errors of digits lost during transmission of digitized audio, that just isn't how it works. I am sorry, but you've fallen victim to bias if you think that a usb cable made those differences. This isn't theoretical physics we're talking about, it's dead simple data transmission. You can believe what you want, but please don't try to get others to waste their money.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,976 of 3,657
If you understand how USB cables work, then you know that what you're talking about just isn't possible. The 1's and 0's get to their destination or they don't. Nothing about warmth, or veils is what would even happen if there was a problem with a usb cable. Lost digits would result in errors, what you're describing has nothing to do with errors of digits lost during transmission of digitized audio, that just isn't how it works. I am sorry, but you've fallen victim to bias if you think that a usb cable made those differences. This isn't theoretical physics we're talking about, it's dead simple data transmission. You can believe what you want, but please don't try to get others to waste their money.

Ok, so did you read what Gordon Rankins wrote about isochronous USB audio transfer and how it is not error free? He's the engineer who created asynchronous USB (jitter clock in the DAC instead of the source) as well as created the Audioquest DragonFly. It's not "simple data transmission" because USB audio streaming is Isochronous (non error-correctin), not Bulk or Interrupt USB protocols (error-correcting).

Here's my problem with all of you naysayers: you say your thing without actually reading what he wrote in its entirety, nor do you even attempt to refute the technical things he said. Go ahead, you seem smart, read what he said starting halfway through this Darko Audio. I'd like to see you counter what he actually wrote:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,977 of 3,657
Ok, so did you read what Gordon Rankins wrote about isochronous USB audio transfer and how it is not error free? He's the engineer who created asynchronous USB (jitter clock in the DAC instead of the source) as well as created the Audioquest DragonFly. It's not "simple data transmission" because USB audio streaming is Isochronous (non error-correctin), not Bulk or Interrupt USB protocols (error-correcting).

Here's my problem with all of you naysayers: you say your thing without actually reading what he wrote in its entirety, nor do you even attempt to refute the technical things he said. Go ahead, you seem smart, read what he said starting halfway through this Darko Audio. I'd like to see you counter what he actually wrote:

What do you think the average error rate is? Last time I examined this, the error rate would equate to well less than 1 bit error in one hour of music playback. Do you really believe that impacts audibility.

As usual, the cable charlatans are miscasting something that may happen but does so infrequently enough to be essentially zero impact as a problem that requires solving.

Ask Gordon Rankin to show actual error rate analysis. Number of failed transmissions per million.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #1,978 of 3,657
What do you think the average error rate is? Last time I examined this, the error rate would equate to well less than 1 bit error in one hour of music playback. Do you really believe that impacts audibility.

As usual, the cable charlatans are miscasting something that may happen but does so infrequently enough to be essentially zero impact as a problem that requires solving.

Ask Gordon Rankin to show actual error rate analysis. Number of failed transmissions per million.

He did show it, in the article. Did you not read it?

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,980 of 3,657
He did show it, in the article. Did you not read it?
Gordon Rankin and Darko are selling you something and neither are reliable to provide objective information.

The error rate over a 2m USB cable is extremely low under typical conditions and is simple to test. I have run a continuous USB cable test at 24-bit/192kHz stereo audio for over 24 hours from a laptop to an RME ADI-2 DAC without a single error reported. If there is a meaningful error rate being observed, the cable and/or the connections are problematic. This would not be normal. The error rate is irrelevant for digital audio, but that won't generate any sales for devices that claim to resolve this non-issue. An engineer with savvy marketing skills can gin up some fervor in an attempt to spike sales. I would not rely on Darko or Rankin to show me the light.

There is a USB specification that should be followed.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-bus/universal-serial-bus-specifications.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back