How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,951 of 3,657
I haven't felt the need to.

Who's him? Not to brag, but I have better ears than him just due to age (I'm just 21 and still can hear 20 kHz, and it is really unpleasant).

First of all, the ears convert the sound pressure into electric signals, so if the ear does not pick it up, it does not get converted as part of the signal. Second, I wouldn't trust the brain as an audio analyzer, it is full of biases and psychoacoustic effects that cannot be fully separated from the goal of a test.

Lol, hmm you realize that's like saying you can shoot a better jump ball than Lebron James when you rarely shoot professionally, right? Or knowing how different various golf clubs at various price affects your game if you don't play golf, either? Or how much better a $500 bottle of wine tastes vs a $5 bottle, etc.

As for Paul McGowan, he's only a co-founder of PS Audio, a full-time engineer himself with decades of experience and who has listened to countless systems and cables day in and day out. In other words, the sheer amount of experience he has easily eclipses your so-called superior (doubt it) 21-year old hearing. Same with Gordon Rankin who literally revolutionized digital audio by introducing asynchronous USB standard to the audio world and he himself had said USB cables make difference after listening to 1000s of USB cables as part of his job.

In other words, why wouldn't I trust their words and their experience over yours?

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #1,952 of 3,657
Finally, here's a great conversation between John Darko of Darko Audio and Barry who called John out on him hearing "differences in USB cables". A great read that reflects how a lot of you all think:

https://techadopters.com/grinding-your-own-gears-darko-audio/

Here's a preview:
Barry: You declare which you could discern small audible variations between USB cables. Everybody is aware of it’s solely ones and zeroes.

John: Hmmmm. Everybody? Are you aware ‘everybody’ to talk on their behalf? Let’s put the idea to at least one facet for a second and give attention to actuality. Or moderately, my actuality! Sure, I hear variations between sure USB cables in sure high-end audio techniques.

Barry: I’m calling bull on this.

John: On what foundation? Have you ever taken, say, a Curious USB cable or an AudioQuest Carbon and in contrast both to the USB cable that comes along with your printer?

Barry: No, in fact, I haven’t. I don’t have to.

John: You don’t have to? Would you move touch upon the meals in Spain with out ever setting foot within the nation?

(Read the rest to find out how this conversation went)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,953 of 3,657
As for Paul McGowan, he's only a co-founder of PS Audio, a full-time engineer himself with decades of experience and who has listened to countless systems and cables day in and day out.
And over at ASR the SINAD of his amps are not even clean 16-bit (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac.9100/).
Lol, hmm you realize that's like saying you can shoot a better jump ball than Lebron James when you rarely shoot professionally, right? Or knowing how different various golf clubs at various price affects your game if you don't play golf, either? Or how much better a $500 bottle of wine tastes vs a $5 bottle, etc.
False analogy, because I'm only comparing biology, just that. I didn't say I can hear differences between cables.
Same with Gordon Rankin who literally revolutionized digital audio by introducing asynchronous USB standard to the audio world and he himself had said USB cables make difference after listening to 1000s of USB cables as part of his job.
First, I commend them for improving the USB standard, but using special pleading to prove an argument makes your evidence non-valid for a logical proof. Could you provide an argument that can be empirically tested and compared against a control?

Finally, why do you take all of this so seriously? It's just audio, enjoy the music.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,954 of 3,657
I'll do you one better. Are you on WhatsBestForum? Mark Coles who owns Sablon Audio runs their forum there, and they do audition loaners, including their power cables that go up to $4,000. Just show your credentials and I'll vouch for you to the test.

Set it up for us. I'm a producer, not a sound engineer, so I'm not the person to conduct the test. But we have a really experienced crowd here. I would be happy to coordinate and make sure the tests run smoothly. Let me know what you hear back from them.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,955 of 3,657
By the way, I'm done commenting on this thread, it's too boring and all the same as the other cable threads. There's no convincing other people here and science is denied left and right, I'll do something more productive. I'll keep reading just for fun though 🙂.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,956 of 3,657
I've never listened to music more than I do know. I get up at 5:30am, drink coffee and listen to my system for 20-30 mins, go to work at a film studio where I actually get to listen to my mobile setup

Cool. I've worked in the film business (mostly in TV) for 35 years. Do you have an IMDB page? PM it to me and I will PM you mine.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,957 of 3,657
And over at ASR the SINAD of his amps are not even clean 16-bit (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac.9100/).

False analogy, because I'm only comparing biology, just that. I didn't say I can hear differences between cables.

First, I commend them for improving the USB standard, but using special pleading to prove an argument makes your evidence non-valid for a logical proof. Could you provide an argument that can be empirically tested and compared against a control?

Finally, why do you take all of this so seriously? It's just audio, enjoy the music.

Because you only think because YOU can't hear differences (even though you say you "didn't say I can hear differences between cables") mean no one else can, which is incorrect, nor does your ASD link mean anything when it comes to Paul's decades of experiences, nor does it make SNR some sort of end-all authority on music since they only measure, they don't actually listen.

I'm not using "special pleading" I'm deferring to expert engineers in the industry who have so much more experience in listening to cables than all of us in this thread combined who do hear the differences in USB Cables and have publicly said that in various podcasts (I listen to a lot of audiophile podcast channels and have heard multiple people said this, too).

And what evidence do you even have when you don't even test it yourself anyways? I have stated mine from The SourceAV, and when you and others don't take that, I mentioned Gordon Rankin and the like.

But seriously, have you actually EVER done a proper A/B test yourself? I have, Darko has, Gordon Rankin and Paul McGowan has.

Oh don't worry about me, my music on my $16,000 killer system is on a whole level I'm sure your Schiit Magni Heresy + SMSL Sanskrit 10th mkII don't even know it exists.

In other words, you should actually try to test more, try to listen on higher end high-resolving system where differences on things like USB Cables are more pronounced.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,958 of 3,657
By the way, I'm done commenting on this thread, it's too boring and all the same as the other cable threads. There's no convincing other people here and science is denied left and right, I'll do something more productive. I'll keep reading just for fun though 🙂.
^

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,959 of 3,657

It goes both way, when you won't even bother to actually test your side of the argument, why bother even spouting your side as "truth"? Just because you haven't tested it or you can't hear a difference, doesn't mean others haven't.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,960 of 3,657
You don't have to test every drop of water in the world to know that water is wet!

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,961 of 3,657
Because you only think because YOU can't hear differences
Thank God I can't, because I wouldn't have my next goal, my own puppy. These Maltese give you a warmer feeling not only to your music, also to your life. They come with the perk of providing a good price/happiness ratio, something I would put all my money into:
Maltese-Lifespan-long.jpg

Isn't it cute? Now, this is my actual last post in this thread; I had a burning desire to say this. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,962 of 3,657
This is my pomeranian! She's all grown up now though.
pickles-big.jpg

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,964 of 3,657
Thank God I can't, because I wouldn't have my next goal, my own puppy. These Maltese give you a warmer feeling not only to your music, also to your life. They come with the perk of providing a good price/happiness ratio, something I would put all my money into:

Isn't it cute? Now, this is my actual last post in this thread; I had a burning desire to say this. Sorry for the inconveniences.

LOL, I'm super excited with my addiction to music, and I'm very happy I've spent the money into my hobby to where I have found my bliss, especially where I've upgraded into things that have made a difference, including the Sablon 2020 USB cable. My system is my Ferrari and I drive it every day.

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,965 of 3,657
here she is now
picklesthedog.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back