How come girls aren't into Spiderman?
Jun 26, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #61 of 83
Men's perception of women is as shallow as the standards men hold women to. Women have to be perfect, and the man can be a complete slob and that's ok. He feels he's in with a chance. You see that image mirrored all the time on tv.

Speaking as everygirl here, we're not as shallow as you think we are. I don't know, maybe guys really are that shallow, and naturally assume women are as well, or these are the kind of people in both genders that your average nice person should never ever bother dating...

At any rate, I think it's as simple as - you're going on and on and on about something that the other person has zero interest in. As if that hasn't happened to anyone here. We're all interested in everything. Riiiight. If you know you have an obsession, you don't throw it out there 30 seconds after meeting. You just don't. You should know from being on the other side of the coin that a friend or partner has to be eased into something like that.

Either they'll reject it or they won't. If it's rejected and you're not too attached, it's time to look for waters more suited to you.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #62 of 83
So.... basically after talking to one girl that didn't like Spiderman you've made the assumption that all girls don't like Spiderman?
confused.gif

I'll have to agree with plainsong on this one. Not all girls are the same, just as not all guys are the same. There aren't any universal stereotypes that either gender has to abide by. There are probably millions of girls out that the love Spiderman (and I don't mean Toby McGuire) and millions of guys that hate comic books. I bet if you ran into a guy that didn't like Spiderman you wouldn't have started a thread about it.

When I meet someone new I don't immediately jump into conversations about anime, manga, comics, headphones and other "geeky" stuff. I at least wait until the morning after.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #63 of 83
Probably too hard on women in general in my earlier post.

My perception has been shaded by the women that live where I live. Of course, as reprehensible as I find the women, I find the men equally repugnant.

I'm glad I have a good wife that, although she wasn't thrilled with my comic book collecting, lets me play video games, buy headphones, and build computers with hardly a complaint.

I'd better go out and buy her some flowers soon. She deserves them for putting up with me. And, so no one thinks I'm adhereing to a stereotype, she absolutely ADORES flowers, and appreciates receiving them more than just about anything else I could do for her (short of jewelry and exotic trips - j/k, j.k!!).

Jun 27, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
My perception has been shaded by the women that live where I live. Of course, as reprehensible as I find the women, I find the men equally repugnant.

Wow... you live in Missouri too eh? I don't like where this is going
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

When I meet someone new I don't immediately jump into conversations about anime, manga, comics, headphones and other "geeky" stuff. I at least wait until the morning after.

Holy crap, that's genius! It's a less-offensive alternative to just rolling over and mouthing "get out".

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24
Wow... you live in Missouri too eh? I don't like where this is going
tongue.gif

Uh-oh. Do I detect a pattern?

Do realize that I am not insulting anyone's looks or intelligence. I am, however, taking a big rip-roaring poop on their lousy, arrogant attitudes.

Jun 27, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #69 of 83
No, no misinterpretation here Luckybaer, I was just joking
biggrin.gif
I've only lived here in MO for two years and the people haven't been so bad. Then again, these past two years have seen me become sort of a recluse so that could explain it.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Holy crap, that's genius! It's a less-offensive alternative to just rolling over and mouthing "get out".

Yeah, much better to roll over and ask "Who do you think would win in a mud wrestling contest, Catwoman or Batgirl?"
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #71 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
How come girls aren't into Spiderman?

Maybe you are standing in the way?

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #73 of 83
Bringing up Spiderman is kind of random. If the movie had just come out or something (or even if you said "Hey, I finally saw Spiderman 2 the other day, what'd you think of it?"), a comment about it would have been ok. If it was a costume party and somebody was dressed like spiderman, it'd be ok to mention. If you had a funny story about a friend at the party trying to climb something and earning the nickname spiderman, it'd be ok.

You just have to figure out what the person you're talking to cares about (or DOESN'T care about). The point is to share interests and find out what you've got in common. You may enjoy LARP, Japanese anime without subtitles, expensive headphones, painting Warhammer figurines, and comic conventions, but it's probably best not to assault a girl at a party with this info. Because they're not entirely socially acceptable hobbies, but also not mainstream. If you like reading, you could probably spend an hour talking to a girl you just met about reading and not ever have to mention that what you like reading is Spiderman comics.

It's all about discretion and judgement. If you have a friend who is a chronic blurter (says the first thing they think of ALL THE TIME), you know what I mean.

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia

ROTFL! You almost made me ruin my keyboard.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the OP still doesn't get it, just imagine if the girl started talking about commitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back