How bright is an ultrasone pro 900?
Aug 19, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #196 of 207
Certainly many have done similar tweaks to theirs 2500/750. KwKarth I believe is one.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #197 of 207
Thanks Kees for the awesome mod!

I added the cotton pad and it made the bass much more controlled which was awesome!

However, with the controlled bass, the treble now seems to jump out and has more sibilance. I tried looking for the felt pads you used, at my local store, but couldn't find them, which leads me to my question(s) - 

Covering the top hole with insulating tape from the outside did lessen the treble, but would a difference in material (felt) affect the sound as well? And what kind of a difference? I'm wondering if I need to change the covering material to felt. 

Also, the felt placed off centre inside the phones, are they there to control the treble or does it act as more damping for the bass?

Thanks Kees, and sorry for the questions - trying to find my sound and need a lot of help along the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeremy

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #198 of 207

Quote:
Thanks Kees for the awesome mod!

I added the cotton pad and it made the bass much more controlled which was awesome!

However, with the controlled bass, the treble now seems to jump out and has more sibilance. I tried looking for the felt pads you used, at my local store, but couldn't find them, which leads me to my question(s) - 

Covering the top hole with insulating tape from the outside did lessen the treble, but would a difference in material (felt) affect the sound as well? And what kind of a difference? I'm wondering if I need to change the covering material to felt. 

Also, the felt placed off centre inside the phones, are they there to control the treble or does it act as more damping for the bass?

Thanks Kees, and sorry for the questions - trying to find my sound and need a lot of help along the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeremy

Hi, you're welcome. Glad you like what you hear. the felt on the metal gets rid of the metalic sheen that the sound sometimes has. The felt in the cup gets rid of some unwanted vibrations that can cause a certain hollowness sometimes. The felt does not affect the bass in my experience.
The mod is not perfect for everyone, it gives you a good place to start and some idea of what works for these phones. Go ahead and tune it to your own liking.
The felt pads are floor protector pads like these

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #199 of 207
Thanks Kees. 

I went ahead and bought some white felt and put them on as shown in your pictures. Now it sounds closer to where I'm trying to go - the bass can still get quite boomy on sub 80Hz frequencies, but I think I'll see what happens with further burn in. I just got these babies yesterday and only have about 20hours of burn in on them. 

From experience, will longer burn in smoothen the bass more?

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #201 of 207
I just wonder... What if i remove all cotton wool and keep the felt on the metal, in the cup.

cause my pro900 have enough time with burn in.    I think it`s been more than 600hour.

for that reason, i don`t have to worry about bass issue any more. Just Metalic sound and siblilance problem remain.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #202 of 207
For the Pro 750s I oddly found that covering the top hole on my right cup and leaving the left cup stock was perfect for me. But I'm sure I have some hearing differences between my two ears, but now it's 100% balanced hearing! Love it - thanks for the idea Kees!

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #203 of 207
Hi all, I just got my Pro 900 today and the mids are REALLY recessed and the highs are, well, shrill =( I was wondering what kind of felt you guys use? Its a little hard to find such thin felt and cotton would any of you care to share any off the shelf products that I can just buy in the right size and thickness to apply the Kees mod? (= any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! (= 

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #204 of 207
My expereince with Ultrasone headphones is that they require a long burn-in time and they do change their sound a lot thorugh it. In the case of my Edition 9 (which I think use the same drivers as the Pro900) took 400 hours to really shine. During those horus there were times that sounded terrible...

I just bought a pair of the Pro 900 too but just sent them to be recabled and change to a dual entry and soldered to the drivers insted their single entry and connector. Also the cable is going to be OCC copper to help on the potential brightness. As soon as I receive them they will go to the 400 hours burn-in.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 31, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #206 of 207
I have had my ultrasone pro900, v moda m100 since last year and now i am planning to buy a ultrasone edition 8. when it comes to pro 900, it is born for EDM. when it is used with amp that has a bass boost function, cannot be better. Sometimes, like others said, vocal is reccessed, but that is not a problem cuz it really depends on music that people listen to. and also it is really good when you listen to instrumental music like guitar or drum or jazz. just give them a try guys.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #207 of 207
Hey guys. I recently purchase my ultrasone pro 900 and wondering if anybody still got a clear pictures of Kees mod. I know it's been way many years ago but maybe I could be lucky and somebody still have some clear pictures.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back